Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 06:14 PM
rjm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Multiple
Originally Posted by CE750
[url]"... looks like the CDI place rather well on the survey."
I think if you will read the article more closely you will find it says that the CDI placed high (3nd, 4th, or 5th) in FUEL ECONOMY. It doesn't say anything about the overall quality, dependibility or reliability of the Mercedes CDI. So what's the point?? Nobody would argue with you about the fuel economy. This thread is NOT about fuel economy....it's about the quality and dependibility of the products discussed...namely, a Mercedes-Benz transmission that failed.

"Owners of the Toyota Prius and Honda Civic gas-electric hybrids gave their cars the highest scores for fuel-efficiency. But the third-, fourth- and fifth-place winners were diesel-powered cars: the Mercedes E320 CDI, and the VW Jetta TDI and Golf TDI...Toyota's Lexus brand, GM's Cadillac and Honda's Acura nameplates won the highest marks for durability...In similar studies conducted this year, Lexus, Porsche, Lincoln, Buick and Cadillac won the highest scores for reliability in J.D. Power and Associates' Vehicle Dependability Study...Lexus, Jaguar, BMW, Buick and Cadillac were the top-rated brands in J.D. Power and Associates' Initial Quality Study of vehicles after three months of ownership. "

Last edited by rjm; 10-10-2005 at 07:07 PM.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
rjm.... Why do you continue to bust our ***** over your tranny problems in your "old" e430.... A tranny not used any longer in (most) any E. You have posted your problem(s) and also solved them by purchasing another fine auto, your lexus. I had a lot of respect for you and that decision as it never does any good to moan here about it. You took your business else where and perhaps this is the only way to get a companys attention (too bad).... Anyway, I'm starting to think your a real jack-***.... You quote this JD Powers survey like its the friggin bible.. Do you keep this thing under your pillow at night???? I personally have had none of your problems and I'm very happy with my ride and could give a rats *** about JD Powers or their opinions.

Why not let us drive our phucked up cars in peace.... You bought your lexus and I assume your happy, but you linger here and post in a Mercedes forum.... For what??? Your doing know one any favors here, so please post in the lexus forums and bash our cars there. At least your troll like comments will be more appreciated there. Or at the least, post in the w210 forum, the car you used to own....

Last edited by HELL ONA HARLEY; 10-10-2005 at 07:53 PM.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Driven em for 30 years and ....

Yeah I can't stay out of this one. I have had I think 17 Mercedes since the mid 70's and never, that is NEVER, had a serious problem with any of them. Diesel, gas, sedan, SL's, E's, and now the S. Some of these were the so called "quality problem" models like my recent 2003 E Sedan. No transmission problems, no electrical problems, no things that go bump in the night...one of the best MB I have owned.

I am sure there are some bad transmissions and I can understand why the owners are upset, especially if they are first time buyers. But that does not make the entire line or company a POS manufacturer. I am sure the forums for other makes have some horror stories also...no mechanical machine is going to be 100% perfect, 100% of the time.

So to the people who want to condemn MB products based on what they read on this and other sites...I say if you don't iike them, don't buy them. Sell the damn thing and buy a Lexus, but don't come back like some and talk about how bad a car your "old" MB was. To the people with problems and are upset, I say make your dealer respond and complain if they don't make it right for you. You should not be satisfied with anything less whether it's a MB or a toaster from Sears.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
rjm, I say again... what do you make of THIS report?

E doesn't seem to be the disaster you want us to think it is.. or that JD implies it is with their useless survey.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
JD Powers is about as useless as an old Condom.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:59 AM
rjm

Multiple
Originally Posted by HELL ONA HARLEY
rjm.... Why do you continue to bust our ***** over your tranny problems in your "old" e430.... A tranny not used any longer in (most) any E. You have posted your problem(s) and also solved them by purchasing another fine auto, your lexus. I had a lot of respect for you and that decision as it never does any good to moan here about it. You took your business else where and perhaps this is the only way to get a companys attention (too bad).... Anyway, I'm starting to think your a real jack-***.... You quote this JD Powers survey like its the friggin bible.. Do you keep this thing under your pillow at night???? I personally have had none of your problems and I'm very happy with my ride and could give a rats *** about JD Powers or their opinions.

Why not let us drive our phucked up cars in peace.... You bought your lexus and I assume your happy, but you linger here and post in a Mercedes forum.... For what??? Your doing know one any favors here, so please post in the lexus forums and bash our cars there. At least your troll like comments will be more appreciated there. Or at the least, post in the w210 forum, the car you used to own....

Did we forget to take our medication today?? :p
Old 10-11-2005, 07:36 AM
rjm

Multiple
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
So to the people who want to condemn MB products based on what they read on this and other sites...I say if you don't iike them, don't buy them. Sell the damn thing and buy a Lexus, but don't come back like some and talk about how bad a car your "old" MB was.
Nevada Jack: If you will read the entire thread you will see that it is about transmissions in current MB automobiles. "Latent" posted a problem with his E-320 CDI transmission, and asked if anyone else ever had a similar problem. I did, so I responded...very briefly, with just the facts of my occurence. Some other guys responded with other similar problems in their cars...."avb777", "starman", "ruykava","lig", and "techbite". Then the usual Kool-Aid Drinkers jump in telling us that Mercedes-Benz products are faultless and are virtually perfect. These are the guys who refuse to face facts or the problems current owners are experiencing. I pointed out, via J.D. Powers (probably the Hallmark automobile rating institution in this country, that MB quality may not be up to their excellent prior standards such as they enjoyed it the 80's, and of course, the Kook-Aid Drinkers can't stand to hear or believe that. The forum is about learning about our automobiles through sharing factual information about them...not about ignoring it or criticizing those who come on the forum and share their problems. Have a nice day.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:14 AM

V6 E320CDi estate faulty from new

I have just purchased a new E320CDi with V6 engine (12 days ago); when I collected the car, it took longer than usual to start; salesman assured me this was normal; it's not; engine warning light comes on; garage cannot cure the problem. Now it has a turbo pipe problem and had to be towed to the garage (it's still there).
For the very brief period I have been able to drive it, it is a BIG improvement over the previous 320CDi engine and the 7 speed gearbox is great.
However I have a severe confidence problem with this particular car and am awaiting MB UKs response to my request for another car.
Although I am a long-term Mercedes owner I have had quite a few problems including 3 roof problems with a current SL and a gearbox problem with previous 320CDi, let alone with the electronics!
Old 10-11-2005, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by rjm
Nevada Jack: If you will read the entire thread you will see that it is about transmissions in current MB automobiles. "Latent" posted a problem with his E-320 CDI transmission, and asked if anyone else ever had a similar problem. I did, so I responded...very briefly, with just the facts of my occurence. Some other guys responded with other similar problems in their cars...."avb777", "starman", "ruykava","lig", and "techbite". Then the usual Kool-Aid Drinkers jump in telling us that Mercedes-Benz products are faultless and are virtually perfect. These are the guys who refuse to face facts or the problems current owners are experiencing. I pointed out, via J.D. Powers (probably the Hallmark automobile rating institution in this country, that MB quality may not be up to their excellent prior standards such as they enjoyed it the 80's, and of course, the Kook-Aid Drinkers can't stand to hear or believe that. The forum is about learning about our automobiles through sharing factual information about them...not about ignoring it or criticizing those who come on the forum and share their problems. Have a nice day.
I did read the entire thread. Did you read my entire post and paragraph 2?

JD Power's publishes new reports based on old data...if they were the Hallmark rating institution they would publish quarterly reports based on the latest input, not publish in 2005 results based on 2003 survey data. I tear up their request for data...should non-responders be reported also?

All information on these forums is not "factual." Much is bias and some of it fantasy and the worst "pure lies."

If the one sentence you quote hits a nerve...then I made my point with you.

I always have a nice day...I drive a MB...:-)
Old 10-11-2005, 11:53 AM
rjm

Multiple
"All information on these forums is not "factual." Much is bias and some of it fantasy and the worst "pure lies."

So all the guys who have posted problems with their cars is "biased...fantasy, and pure lies?" In my opinion they are guys reporting honest problems looking for information from others who have experienced the same problems...again, that is what this forum is all about.

"I always have a nice day...I drive a MB"

You mean of course, when it's not in the garage for repairs?
Old 10-11-2005, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by rjm
"All information on these forums is not "factual." Much is bias and some of it fantasy and the worst "pure lies."

So all the guys who have posted problems with their cars is "biased...fantasy, and pure lies?" In my opinion they are guys reporting honest problems looking for information from others who have experienced the same problems...again, that is what this forum is all about.

Do you always mis-quote and mis-interpret postings of others to make your weak and false points?

I said "much is..." not referring at all to the valid concerns and claims of "honest problems" posted by the intial poster and other. Meaning that if you believe everything you read on open forums, then false conclusions can be a reality. Read my entire post please.

As far as your second sentence...my cars have rarely been in for any repairs (service yes) and even then it is a nice day because I have a MB loaner

I am sure you enjoy your Lexus but something must be missing since you seem to continue to post on this site...could it be you have "buyers remorse?"
Old 10-11-2005, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
Rjm

No offense, but you remind me of a guy who parted with his girl friend, but keep going back to her closed friend circle and bad mouthing her. Not so much class.

Not that I don't think highly of Lexus, as the matter of fact, our family just purchased a LX470 over the weekend (the ML is too lame, and the G is too boxy). Every car have problem, some more than other. My W211 have more problem than my W210, but then we fix it and move on. If one can't stand the car, then sell it and buy another brand. You don't offer any advice on how to upgrade, fix, or troubleshoot Mercedes problem here, except for bringing up the JD Power survey to show how Lexus is much more reliable than Mercedes. EVERYONE HERE KNOW THAT, BUT SO WHAT ?? , is it neccessary to repeat that statement almost on weekly basic ?

Have you read the latest MotorTrend, where every Japanese manufacture are now forced to restate their horse power claim (some get cut substantially), and yep, Lexus and Acura see the posted hp reduced (and most American engine gain, some by a lot). Same engine, just that the Japanese stress the definition too far by the ASE (??) standard, and now have to restate them. A Lexus engine is still the same Lexus engine, no doubt powerful and reliable. But no doubt their engineer & marketing department stress the measurement of hp too far, of course to fool customer, and now by regulation have corret it. None of the German manufacture is affected by this new rule.

Your Lexus LS430 just lost 12hp !!, going into 2006 model (from 290 to 278) The new IS take same hit too. Same engine, just that it's being mesured correctly now, instead of inflating number. I'm sure if this happens to Mercedes, you would probably buy a page in USA Today and post it in 30 font size !!.

Have some class, will yea ?

Originally Posted by rjm

Last edited by zam2000; 10-11-2005 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,449 Likes on 3,155 Posts
'71 Pinto
Why bother?

BTW, has as anyone seen the new commercial that utilizes the Bridge on the River Kwai music? Here’s a Japanese company celebrating the brutality of WWII prisoners (who were dragged out by the hair to go to work, beaten with bamboo poles and mocked at) so they can sell trucks.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:44 PM

2013 S550
Originally Posted by latent
Over the two weeks I have had my E320 CDI, it has, on several occassions exhibited jerky transmission problems. Sometimes not changing up a gear when it should. I took it to my MB dealer yesterday and they could not re-create the problem. However, they hooked it up to their diagnostics tools and noticed from the vehicle log that indeed there had been transmission problems. They have told me that they need to order a part for the transmission..some valve assembly that fits beneath the box, that helps change gears (sorry I am not a car techie!!!). I have to go back to get it fitted on the 20th.

Anyone else had similar parts replaced?

Apart from this ..I do love the car..the V6 engine is a beauty//just a shame it needs attention so soon
I have the V8 and have had about half the transmission replaced. I can't remember all the details as it's been a while ago. I do remember that I saw a fluid leak in the driveway just after getting an oil change at the dealership. I took it back for a check, and it turned out to be radiator fluid leaking from the transmission. Seems there was some type of pinhole leak somewhere that allowed radiator fluid to get into the transmission. They replaced the radiator and a good number of transmission parts, all under warranty.

I know the Service Manager pretty well, and he assured me that the repaired car was solid. I have the MB extended warranty effective through July 2010 (I'll never get close to 100,000 miles), and I reminded him of that. Still, he insisted he stood by the repairs and a new transmission was not necessary. I have to admit, it runs perfectly, even when I manually run through the gears. It's also much easier to shift into reverse - at least in a situation where I'm on a main road and having to stop quickly and back into a friend's driveway.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:43 PM

All of them, as much as I can...
Originally Posted by rjm
What reputation?? Are you still living in the 80's? In the latest J.D. Powers Dependibility Study Mercedes-Benz rate 28th out of 38 cars rated. I wouldn't exactly call that a sterling "reputation of quality and reliability."
Excuse me sir, this kind of argumentative posting is not cool. IOW, pretty nasty and impolite. I don't know you, sir, or your history here but it appears you are a pretty disgruntled individual in need of professional help or maybe a nice spirited drive in your MB...off a cliff maybe.

Please learn the etiquette of common-interest-forums.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by techbike
Excuse me sir, this kind of argumentative posting is not cool. IOW, pretty nasty and impolite. I don't know you, sir, or your history here but it appears you are a pretty disgruntled individual in need of professional help or maybe a nice spirited drive in your MB...off a cliff maybe.

Please learn the etiquette of common-interest-forums.
He sold his MB, and only the Lexus.. so maybe he'd better not drive it off a cliff, as that could get him killed.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ctouhey
I took it back for a check, and it turned out to be radiator fluid leaking from the transmission. Seems there was some type of pinhole leak somewhere that allowed radiator fluid to get into the transmission. They replaced the radiator and a good number of transmission parts, all under warranty.
This is a known issue on some of the older W211's it has since been addressed on the newer ones.. Again all cars when they are first re-designed (MB spent $2 Billion on the W211) will have some teething pains.. this is part of the products development cycle, and why I'll not be buying a 2009 model, but rather I'll wait for '11 or later for the bugs to be worked out.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CE750
He sold his MB, and only the Lexus.. so maybe he'd better not drive it off a cliff, as that could get him killed.
Pretty sharp today CE...
Old 10-11-2005, 04:05 PM
rjm

Multiple
Stop it! You guys are really hurting my feelings...........!!
Can't we all get along?

And maybe, back on the topic...which is transmissions that don't seem to be working as designed....
Old 10-11-2005, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by rjm
Stop it! You guys are really hurting my feelings...........!!
Can't we all get along?

And maybe, back on the topic...which is transmissions that don't seem to be working as designed....
rjm, don't worry about it.. I am a believer in the love the sinner and hate the sin concept.. to I'm not attacking you, but rather your arguments..

later bro..
Old 10-11-2005, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
"RJM" reminds me of "krispykreme"

Some people will always report bad news much faster than good news, that is just human nature. On a side note, I have been lucky (I guess), but I have not had many issues with my MBs. And when I have had a problem it was quickly resolved and did not occur again. So I am totally happy with Mercedes Benz.

As per why I still buy a Mercedes even when I know that they have allegedly gotten worse is simple. I speak 4 languages fluently and when I want to read Unamuno I will read it in Spanish just like I would read Shakespeare in English and Goethe in German and so on . . .

If I like the driving feel of a GERMAN luxury car I will drive a BMW, AUDI, Mercedes or Porsche. I think that it is the same cheap shot all people like to throw: "you are a snob" or and "elitist." Well, if that is who drives MBs in spite of them being less reliable than before then I am one. BUT I WILL NEVER FOOL MYSELF IN THINKING THAT A LEXUS, INFINITY OR ACURA IS A GERMAN CAR IN HOW IT PERFORMES AND DRIVES. Just like I will try and avoid translated literature since YOU ALWAYS LOOSE SOMETHING IN TRANSLATION.

I work with people who earn a fraction of what I earn and I am the only one with expensive cars. No on could ever consider me to be snobbish since they would never know I am affluent until they either see me in the parking lot or hear about my trips. So I know what I like and I take the Mercedes problems in stride. Yet, so far, nothing has really been a problem in 15 years of driving Mercedes cars. Everything has been minor enough to not ever leave me stranded.

What can you do?

Steve
Old 10-11-2005, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

well said Steve.. rjm is on no budget though.. he retired a millionaire from the airlines!
Old 10-11-2005, 06:43 PM
rjm

Multiple
Originally Posted by SAguirre
If I like the driving feel of a GERMAN luxury car I will drive a BMW, AUDI, Mercedes or Porsche. Steve
I can certainly agree with that Steve. I had a Porche 944 that I enjoyed very much for several years. Now, if I want to drive for FUN, I take my BMW 530i...it has been near perfect. Then if I want to drive something comfortable and powerful, I drive my.........err, well, you know.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
I am sure happy no one took my post the wrong way

I am glad we have put our differences aside and gone back to being normal on this great forum!

Rjm, there will always be a special part in my heart for Porsche, there is just something about them. I feel the same way about most other German cars too.

Steve
Old 10-17-2005, 08:14 AM

UPDATE

The car was really bad over the weekend, not changing up. Also, on a couple of occassions ..on pulling away, car started to accelerate in first and then a temporary lag..quite frightening at a junction!!.

I telephoned the dealership on Saturday morning. I said that although it is booked in for Thursday 20th, I wanted it attended to sooner as I thought it could be dangerous. They collecetd it it this morning. Not sure when I'll get it back!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2 weeks old and transmission parts needed