My First Malfuntion (update)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 12:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Build date 2-04 E500
My First Malfuntion (update)

Some may remember a post a few weeks ago about a charging system malfuntion my wife got on the MFD while on her way to work. The dealership sent a tech right out to her place of employment (about a 50 mile round trip)and replaced the battery no questions asked.... Naturally this was not a fix and was advised to get the car in A.S.A.P.
Well a few days passed before we could get the car in and the battery went completly dead while parked in our garage while away for the weekend ("Street Vibrations" in Reno NV). The next morning after our return a call was made and the dealership sent out a tech to our home to jump the car (about a 60 mile round trip for him) and left us a new 05 C230 to drive while the car was in for the fix. Four days later we had our baby back. The car was delivered back to her place of employment. B.T.W....For all who complain about lousy MB service, you reaaly need to find someone else.... My experience with MB service dept is top notch.... (Smothers European is Santa Rosa).

Well, SA says the recent recall preformed on the car while in for service about 10 days prior to the malfuntion was the culprit. He states my car is the third one he has seen this happen to after the recall was performed. No answers to how or why, but the car has been back in service for over a week now with no problems. The paperwork states the official cause was an electrical fault with the BCM ??? and the recall performed was the battery control unit reprogram recall #2005060008... SA states this "reprogram" caused my malfuntion. I feel I have to believe him as we have never had a problem with the car untill the reprogram.

On a side note..... I also complained about my "key dependant memory" for the seat position (only) stopped working... They replaced the seat control unit that is appearantly under the seat and it was removed to do the fix. I must say, it works better than ever. Not only does the seat funtion as its supposed to but the seat also goes back alot further than ever before... Now I just have to remember not to pull the key or open the door before passengers have a chance to exit or they will be crushed.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
good news HoH.. I'm sure not all dealers are bad.. it really depends on the individual dealership. It's just that I'm sure MBUSA isn't much of an example for those dealers who don't wish to provide good service.

Anyway, glad the E is 100% again.. a complex machine like that will need mx once in a while.. that's how the $20,000,000 planes I occasionally fly are.. why should a $60,000 car be different.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:38 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,448 Likes on 3,155 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by HELL ONA HARLEY
Now I just have to remember not to pull the key or open the door before passengers have a chance to exit
Excellent! Glad to hear all worked out for the best. As far as your passengers, well lets just say be careful because one day your brakes might seem squishy, or your accelerator’s kind of stuck only to see there’s a half eaten cannoli in your ashtray. ….Tough room!
Old 10-08-2005, 12:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 SL500, 02 BMW Z3 (Mrs. VF), 05 FJR1300, 91 ZX-11
Not only does the seat funtion as its supposed to but the seat also goes back alot further than ever before...
Makes for more "headroom"

Glad to hear you are getting good treatment, seems to be very dealer dependent.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:52 AM

2016 E350, 2013 C300 4MATIC, 2004.5 C230SS
Originally Posted by HELL ONA HARLEY
On a side note..... I also complained about my "key dependant memory" for the seat position (only) stopped working... They replaced the seat control unit that is appearantly under the seat and it was removed to do the fix. I must say, it works better than ever. Not only does the seat funtion as its supposed to but the seat also goes back alot further than ever before... Now I just have to remember not to pull the key or open the door before passengers have a chance to exit or they will be crushed.
I had the same issue and complained about it when I brought my car in this past Thursday for other warranty repair and recall after two months of parts waiting.

The SA sat in the driver seat and start fooling with the seat adjustments, memories, etc....and the function came back alive. All he said to me was "if the seat was all the way back and it won't move back any further after I pull out the key". I was like, WTF, you tried it initially and nothing works 'till you start messing around with the settings, why can you just admit there's something wrong and have the tech look into the problem? Now the feature is working again (who knows for how long?), what can the tech do???

I am sure not all dealers service are the same, but I am limited to the one nearest me and their service suck big time.

Who's the dealer? Penske MB in West Covina, CA.
Old 10-08-2005, 03:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Bring your car to Orange County where we have competent dealers. Fletcher Jones is alright, so is Caliber in Anaheim Hills. I use Laguna Niguel since its closer and I have enjoyed their service facilities and staff very much in the year or so that I have taken my vehicles there. Great staff who knows a lot about cars and the SA's are excellent in evey regard.