E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Leasing Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leasing Question

Do dealerships typically rape you for "excessive damage" when you turn in a lease car? If so, how much might an average car damage total at the time of turn in?
Old 10-10-2005, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 335 vert, 2004 MDX
Remember, you're not leasing from the dealership. When I leased my 540 from BMW, they gave very strict guidelines up front of what was "excessive" damage including a long diatribe on dent vs. ding. Make sure you get these expectations up front. And as far as leasing is concerned, remember to shop around. The manufacturer usually doesn't have the best deal. My current lease is with my bank. I shopped around for a low rate, and then my bank matched it.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 Mclaren 720s, 2021 Aston Martin DBX
The dealer will look at the car like a trade in. If it is all screwed up, you are asking for it.

Excessive damage due to accidents or vandalism should be fixed by your insurance. Excessive damage due to wear, like torn seats, will lower the value.

Clean up the car the best you can and take it in before the lease termination. Get it appraised "as is" and if the damage was fixed. Then you’ll know if it’s worth it for you to repair the car or just take the lower appraisal and pay up.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:32 AM
Almost a Member!

06 E350 4Matic
Is it true that when your leasing a vehicle, you're not allowed to smoke in it?
Old 10-11-2005, 06:44 PM

It is so hard to keep a car perfect. With these potential charges, is leasing crazy? I like the lower payments, ability to flip cars, etc.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:40 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
BMW M850i Gran Coupe
Originally Posted by luxury1
It is so hard to keep a car perfect. With these potential charges, is leasing crazy? I like the lower payments, ability to flip cars, etc.
I have been leasing from MB Credit for the past 10 years and I like the ease of dealing directly with Mercedes Benz. That's not to say that they are perfect in every area, but after doing some comparative shopping, they are certainly "in the ballpark".

Some areas that they really shine in are:
1. Extremely customer friendly "turn in" program that goes out of it's way to be clear, easy and fair.
2. Reasonably good residual values that can be many times even better when MBUSA is looking to sell certain models.
3. Occasional flexibility in residual value price, depending upon market conditions works well for me as I usually buy the "off lease" vehicle.
4. Seamless transfer/sale to a 3rd party when I want to "sell" to a friend at the end of the lease.
5. When there IS a problem at the end of your MB Credit lease, if you are leasing ANOTHER Mercedes, the dealer seems to have the ability to "help".

I personally enjoy the tax benefits of deducting a substantial part of the lease payment as a business expense, and subsequently I view the leasing deal as a reverse purchase where I buy the car at the END of the transaction.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:40 AM

06' E350
I didnt know that you were able to shop around with other banks, just thought you have to go with usually mbcredit when u lease??? also - whats a good lease rate for A+ credit?

Last edited by hokimon25; 10-13-2005 at 04:42 AM.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 Mclaren 720s, 2021 Aston Martin DBX
Originally Posted by hokimon25
I didnt know that you were able to shop around with other banks, just thought you have to go with usually mbcredit when u lease??? also - whats a good lease rate for A+ credit?
You sure can. You can even ask the MB leasing guy for lower and better terms from another source...that's what I did. My score was 801 and the MB money rate came out to be the equivalent of 3 to 4 percent more than a lease from a bank he provided.

The "credit card" damage exclusion from MB is a good feature but it ends up costing a lot.

Once you find a car and work out the numbers, go to a bank, leasing company, or whatever and do the math.

Your dealer will make a little less if you go elsewhere, but he will be glad to have sold the car.