Leather upholstery...Is it worth $1500?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 11:59 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,445 Likes on 3,154 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by CE750
It turned out that MBUSA spec'd out the vast majority of CDI's very bare.. and that no a single OEM equipped CDI with Xenon's existed in all of Arizona.. This is direct from the horses mouth.. MBUSA
Correct if I’m wrong but don’t the dealers spec out the cars they choose to put on their lots and not MBUSA?
Old 10-11-2005, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 & Q7
GSY,

if you lease this car then save $1500 but if you buy this car then get the leather -- a luxury car should be (shame on MBUSA not including leather upholstery.)

if you cannot tell the difference between them then save $1500. (but it is not difficult to tell them from, isn't it?)

Otto
Old 10-11-2005, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
I could not agree with you more. Look at the dealers in Europe, they dont have as many problems with customers as we do here. MBUSA has a lack of management at all levels down to their regional and local managment teams.

They are the reason behind the cost cutting and lack of customer satisfaction. I for one would rather pay 20% more for my cars and get many feautures standard. Hell even rear side airbags are optional now? WTF?

Whatever moron at MBUSA thought that this was a good idea?
I do look at the dealers in Europe. I have purchased two MBs and a Porsche in Europe. My dealer in Westminster Colorado is LIGHTYEARS ahead of the dealers I have dealt with in Aachen Germany. I was just dealing with them in August.

When my good friend's E220 CDI wore out the rear brakes at 8,000 miles because the SBC stop was activating at 45 MPH, the dealer fixed the software problem but then proceeded to charge them about $500 US to change the rear rotors and pads. The admitted that even though it was a software malfunction that caused the wear, they would NOT pay for a wear item!

I personally went to the dealer and after talking it all over they agreed to give my friend credit on her next service. I don't even want to get started on this subject. You cannot compare US standards of customer service (however bad they might be in some cases) to European ones.

I could go on forever on this and give you very specific examples. There are NO loaner cars, the manufacturer's warranty is two years long, no free service for any model year MB (that changed here too). and the list goes on . . .

Anyway, as to the main subject, I liked the seats in my W124. But, after 130,000 miles the sides were starting to crack, so I had them refinished for about $200. However, I find the leather inserts quite OK and I hope they will last longer. So far it looks like they might.

Steve

Just checked, my E has full leather. O well. . . I also have tons of options that Bud would not approve of :-(( I have SAT Radio, NAV, Liguatronic, Xenon, Seat Heaters, 4-Matic, rear seat package, now I find full Leather too! What am I going to do!!! I just thought I should poke fun at you Bud

Last edited by SAguirre; 10-11-2005 at 01:21 PM.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:41 PM
GSY

Originally Posted by Otto
GSY,

if you lease this car then save $1500 but if you buy this car then get the leather -- a luxury car should be (shame on MBUSA not including leather upholstery.)

if you cannot tell the difference between them then save $1500. (but it is not difficult to tell them from, isn't it?)

Otto
I plan to buy. I'll probably stick with MB tex because it looks and feels just like leather. And from what others are saying, MB tex is durable. However, I do agree most luxury cars ($50K+ Mercedes no less) should have leather as standard upholstery.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
Originally Posted by konigstiger
Correct if I’m wrong but don’t the dealers spec out the cars they choose to put on their lots and not MBUSA?
When I asked Phoenix Motor why there we're any CDI's with Xenon's and full Leather.. they said "that's what they send us, we can't complain since it's hard to get these"
Old 10-11-2005, 04:34 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
2003 E500, 2004 G35X
For durability and maintenance, leather is no match for the vinyl! That beeing said, I personally would prefer luxury fabric. Fabric is warm in the winter and cools real fast in the summer. Both leather and vinyl are hot as hell in the summer after and car sat in the sun for over an hour, and they are cold as ice on a cold winter morning! Too bad fabric is not an option these days on many good cars.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:26 PM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
The C240 we have has leather inserts and it seems my legs is much hotter and doesn't breathe when it against the vinyl although under neather my legs is fine.. On my E500 I prefer the leather although it is looking worn in..
Old 10-14-2005, 12:29 PM
liz

i had both types of seats. the mb-tex looked great after 10 years, 3 kids and a dog. Have the leather now(4 yr old car), it has many "cracks" (not splits) and, imo, doesn't look as good-although it does smell great. Never had to worry about maintaining the seats with the mb-tex, constantly maintaining these seats (kids etc...). guess it's a personal choice.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

w211 & w124
Originally Posted by Flash Gordon
For durability and maintenance, leather is no match for the vinyl! That beeing said, I personally would prefer luxury fabric. Fabric is warm in the winter and cools real fast in the summer. Both leather and vinyl are hot as hell in the summer after and car sat in the sun for over an hour, and they are cold as ice on a cold winter morning! Too bad fabric is not an option these days on many good cars.
I would agree. Luxury plush fabric used to feel so good in my Grandpa's old Chryslers.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:30 PM
BWL

I opted for the leather and have been very happy for the 2 years that I have owned the car. With the leather option you also get leather on the door panels and armrests - and IMO this looks a whole lot better than the MBtex option. In the end it all comes down to personal taste.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:03 AM

2003 E320
I prefer the leather and think it's worth it. I had my last Mercedes 17 years, and the leather (with good care) looked like new. The leather on my present car looks like new also. I'd certainly get it again.