E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Is MB depreciation as bad as I am seeing? (m)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 05:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes all the way!
hmm, that's pretty low for an 8 year old car i think - though i'm not familiar with the australian market. i'm seeing people list their E320 at AUS$44k, although mostly with sub-100k or even sub-50k km on the odo.

e.g. on: http://autoweb.drive.com.au/

heh, as people are saying here: DIY is always the way to go!
Old 11-08-2005, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 ML320; 2005 Audi A6; 2006 Honda Pilot
Originally Posted by JWS3
I have no experience in selling a car other than through the newspaper. In my experience luxury cars just don't sell well in the paper, which leaves the various on line sources.
Since I have never used "Ebay" and thus have no history, what sites do you suggest? autotrader/ Cars.com? I don;t know one from another and welcome any input/suggestions.
And yes, the car is clean- I am very uptight as to care/cleaning. Other than a few tiny stone nicks it is truly as clean/shiny as new.
Thanks again

Jim
Jim, are you an MBCA member? Does your local section have a newsletter or website that you can post an ad or perhaps consider placing one in The Star? You could get top dollar from someone who appreciates the care you have given the vehicle.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w211 & w124
I sold my CLK on Autotrader.com. Had it list for about 3 weeks at blue book value then dropped it about 10%. The day after the price drop I had 3 calls on it and sold it within two days. Guys who are looking at buying a used MB will watch and check those listings constantly. If you don't get any bites at first drop the price a little and most of the time they will jump on it.

You can look at Lexus all day but it's still just a Lexus. I don't get the same feeling seeing a Lexus on the road as I do a clean Benz. Don't end up regretting it.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:04 PM

2004 E500
Still thinking about it. I like the Benz, but keep (m)

Originally Posted by Samoan_Ridah
I sold my CLK on Autotrader.com. Had it list for about 3 weeks at blue book value then dropped it about 10%. The day after the price drop I had 3 calls on it and sold it within two days. Guys who are looking at buying a used MB will watch and check those listings constantly. If you don't get any bites at first drop the price a little and most of the time they will jump on it.

You can look at Lexus all day but it's still just a Lexus. I don't get the same feeling seeing a Lexus on the road as I do a clean Benz. Don't end up regretting it.
feeling the urge for something larger, something able to actually carry stuff that is less "fussy"(gettining tired of alway borrowing my wife's van) and less afraid of snow, which sends even 4matic vehicles into a spin. Despite my best efforts I find black just too hard to keep clean and I'm done with it. My wife finds the benz "too snobby". I dunno- still mulling it over, but for a long time I've pondered a vehicle that can jump a curb or two when some slug just won't get out of the way.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:15 PM

Wait, WAIT, WAIT!

Jprescott (and others looking to sell) shoot me an email with what you have and what you want for it. porsche_brent@hotmail.com I'm looking for a perfect car, white/silver/pewter and black interior. I need heated seats, sunroof, and I want NAV, but will get it installed aftermarket if the price is right. https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/125458-trying-find-used-e-class.html

JWS3 - I can't do black, sorry. Your car sounds perfect except for the color. You'll definately find a buyer private party.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:30 AM
Almost a Member!

The E class W211, as much as many of y'all in this forum love the car, was a complete "dud" by MB standards. Not trying to disrespect here, but MB pretty much indicated this as well. 3-4 years after intro, you still hear of problems about transmission, breaks, electronics, a/c...the list goes on and on.

Here's the economics of it. I drive by Ruznak MB dealership on a daily basis. Everyday, at least 25-40 E Class sedans just sit'n there. They're not moving.

Well, you may have read on other posts that many in SoCal are getting the E350 for $8K below MSRP. Suppose those were exceptions, and that most in SoCal get it for 4K-6K off MSRP (BTW, CarsDirect shows about $5K below MSRP). The dealers barely make money, MBUSA barely makes money.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/125132-best-deals-e-class-california.html

So, what's a dealer to do? Ah, as y'all know, most dealers make more money per car on an used vehicle than on a new car. So, they'll try do drum up the biz on the used cars. Well, if the new cars are selling at or below the invoice, that put's lots of pressure on used car (retail) prices. So, what's a dealer to do? Pay less and less for trade-ins, or from auctions.

On top of that, other threads on this forum indicate that "I won't keep my E Class" past the warranty...well, there's an additional supply / glut of used E Class.

Bottom line is supply and demand. Kind of like when Hertz or Budget unloads a boat load of rental Ford Taurus to auctions, or when a boat load of Ford Explorers come off the 3 yr lease and floods the market.

Originally Posted by jprescott
Related in a way: My pristine 19k mile E500 with everything minus nav(2003) was stickered at $59+ and I can only get $34k max for it. I just got a 2006 A8L and I leased it. I can't see buying another car. Long story short, yes depreciation was much worse than I ever expected.