E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

A general question to the mods.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 320E CDI, Porsche 911 C2, Pontiac Montana
A general question to the mods.

I have a neigborhood parts store that may supply me with a bunch of light bulbs to perform a light test. These test will be published HERE but in return and in all fairness, he wants something out of that too. Publicity.

Now I know that you have sponsers. In fact, he is a major sponser in a VW forum. What I like to know is if I can publish his company in that ONE thread. The entire MB community gets a decent test on halogen lights and he gets some publicity in ONE thread.

Is that fair?

P.S. Remember, if he gets publicity and some sales, he is may become a sponser.

P.S.S. He told me how much he has to pay for advertising and boy, I was suprised! While the forum may be free, the advertising is certainly NOT!

Last edited by Spartan; 11-20-2005 at 09:54 AM.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:13 AM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
We have had several prospects that requested, in one form or the other, a trial run prior to stepping up and sponsoring MBWorld (Nice try ). It would not be fair to any of our other sponsors.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by amdeutsch
We have had several prospects that requested, in one form or the other, a trial run prior to stepping up and sponsoring MBWorld (Nice try ). It would not be fair to any of our other sponsors.
Nice try? Huh? what do you mean by that?

I hope you are not implying that I was trying to secretly "advertise" someone. I have no interest in that company OTHER then getting freebies of generaly available product (Phillips, Osram, etc) and publish it FOR THE COMMUNITY.

Yes, you have sponsers and I am sure that they are paying you handsomly but that is irrelevent to me as well as many others. The general unwashed masses (including me) are here to share information with each other with no commercial interest.

Anywho.......

The cost of all those bulbs is not exactly earth shattering. But to make it into a decent test required SUBSTANTIAL effort. It's unfortunate but obviously commerce prevails over community.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:21 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by Spartan
Nice try? Huh? what do you mean by that?

I hope you are not implying that I was trying to secretly "advertise" someone. I have no interest in that company OTHER then getting freebies of generaly available product (Phillips, Osram, etc) and publish it FOR THE COMMUNITY.....The cost of all those bulbs is not exactly earth shattering. But to make it into a decent test required SUBSTANTIAL effort. It's unfortunate but obviously commerce prevails over community.

A simple reference to history and how some prospective businesses will try to enlist others, by giving them freebies etc, in order to be able to get free advertisement. Product cost is one that is most often cited as a perceived reason for this.
Its interesting that you bring up the commercial aspect when you already admitted that you are in it for freebies.

Originally Posted by Spartan
Yes, you have sponsers and I am sure that they are paying you handsomly but that is irrelevent to me as well as many others. The general unwashed masses (including me) are here to share information with each other with no commercial interest.

All our sponsors deserve protection from these business types. You may not agree; at least that how I read your response. But the rules and guidelines are established for a reason.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:38 PM

I am in it for freebies? Sure, $40 bucks will put a shock into my wallet.

I understand if it has been "secretly" done by others BUT in THIS case, I asked HIM if he was interested in participating in the test as something for OUR COMMUNITY. Nothing more, nothing less. The "freebie" part came from having to BUY several sets for testing and some light housings. I was going to give them back to him after the test. I have no need for several sets of bulbs or housings and I certainly could not care less for a "free" set of $40 light bulbs. The other thing I was going to do is ask Mercedes for a couple of light housing to put on a testing stand.

Anyway......nothing is going to happen now.

Perhaps a sponsers would do the community a favor and test them.