E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Its official! Mercedes Navigation system is Crap!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Build date 2-04 E500
Originally Posted by CE750
to be fair to our new friend, I have to say that (and I will never do this again, mind you) it's one of things that many people just "assume" about a car of this price range.. that it's going to have the "latest" technology.

That said, the first 3 letters of "Assume" are ***... and that is how I feel about not doing more "due diligence" before I bought.

The rub is... I still would have bought the car, as I really liked the Diesel, and the ride/feel of the car.. build quality also seemed on face value to be superior. So it may not have changed much in this respect.. which is why I think owners like us should simply voice concern to MBUSA on such matters, so as to get them to 'wake up" before the loose some of us on the next car.. (myself, if I leave, it would have to be to BMW or Audi.. nothing else compares).

Yes Sam.... As always you bring up valid points, but with my back ground and up bringing, I assume nothing.... The things that are importiant to me in a purchase are fully investigated....and I certainly wouldn't start a thread about a part of the car that I didn't like or didn't meet my needs when all I had to do was check it out more throughly before purchasing....
Old 11-20-2005, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
Originally Posted by HELL ONA HARLEY
Yes Sam.... As always you bring up valid points, but with my back ground and up bringing, I assume nothing.... The things that are importiant to me in a purchase are fully investigated....and I certainly wouldn't start a thread about a part of the car that I didn't like or didn't meet my needs when all I had to do was check it out more throughly before purchasing....
Lesson learned for me, and others I'm sure.. and like I said, it may not have made a darn bit of difference if most of us anyway, as other qualities of the cars are simply superior to anything else out there..

but you can understand the point that "buyer beware" and "Mercedes Benz" should not have to be used in the same sentence.

I think all that we can do is continue to let MB know that we expect only the best from the best.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:24 PM

06 C 350 2014 GLK350
My Mercedes nav does use exact house addresses and you can input a business phone number to get navigation to that place. The only problem is the system is in my 06 C350. I had your same complaints on my 06 E350 system.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:49 PM

1998 ML320; 2005 Audi A6; 2006 Honda Pilot
Originally Posted by MB-JIM
My Mercedes nav does use exact house addresses and you can input a business phone number to get navigation to that place. The only problem is the system is in my 06 C350. I had your same complaints on my 06 E350 system.
I find it hard to believe that there is a different and better NAV in the C350. Sounds like there may have been a running change that occurred at sometime during the year. What were the build dates of your E350 and and C350?
Old 11-20-2005, 09:29 PM

06 C 350 2014 GLK350
The difference it that my E350 came with a Becker nav while the C, CLK, ML and I believe the R Class cars all have the Alpine system like is in my C350.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Alpine makes the best Nav's period.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
E500 4matic, 2014 GL320, 2013 C300, 2015 Stingray
Hey Harley...

"I hate to say it but if the nav was so importaint to you and gets you so upset about its short comings that you would cry about it here, then I have to wonder why you didn't check it out more carefully and do your homework on the system before your purchase?"

Wow - yet another post from Harley telling someone w/ a issue w/ MB electronics about doing his/her homework. All i have to say is you must be a teacher

The guy clearly stated he likes the car - and it doesn't mean that he didn't do his "homework" just because he doesn't like the nav. I don't like the nav, BUT i'm still having sunman put it in this week. Doesn't mean you can't vent some frustrations here about how far behind they really are with their nav unit when compared to others.

Aceman
Old 11-20-2005, 10:01 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 E300W
2manytoys Says "It's Official"

I'm just a little curious, whose "official postion" is it?

Did you read some critical review, a press release, or what?

Thanks for pointing us to the "official source" you reference.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by TPAbnz
I'm just a little curious, whose "official postion" is it?

Did you read some critical review, a press release, or what?

Thanks for pointing us to the "official source" you reference.
I think that was said "tongue in cheek" .. it's clearly his position, but many of us tend to agree... though not with the full statement, as I'm sure there is a car made out there with a worse NAV.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Originally Posted by aceman
"I hate to say it but if the nav was so importaint to you and gets you so upset about its short comings that you would cry about it here, then I have to wonder why you didn't check it out more carefully and do your homework on the system before your purchase?"

Wow - yet another post from Harley telling someone w/ a issue w/ MB electronics about doing his/her homework. All i have to say is you must be a teacher

The guy clearly stated he likes the car - and it doesn't mean that he didn't do his "homework" just because he doesn't like the nav. I don't like the nav, BUT i'm still having sunman put it in this week. Doesn't mean you can't vent some frustrations here about how far behind they really are with their nav unit when compared to others.

Aceman

Sorry... I hate boys who cry. Besides what good does it do to moan here about it??? Venting????? well I guess you can call it that too..... I don't.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I admire HoH's attitude in many ways.. it's part of what makes our country great..

I still choose to inform MB (and whom else will listen) of their failings.. as I do of Nikon, Apple, Cartier, and other brands with which I have less than 100% satisfaction, even if I chose to continue to buy them.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:08 PM

mb e500
I hate the E-Class navi as well. I know MB can do better, case in point the ML has a much better nav then ours, and this the previous generations. Its not great as the Lexus navs, but it is better.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:10 AM

2004 E320, 2004 Lexus GX470
Originally Posted by 2manytoys
Its just I expected more from the designers/engineers.
I thought that the common understanding was that the Japanese just had the "electronics" market on lock. This is no suprise to me. The inability to input street numbers is a little disappointing but it pales in comparison to the thought of driving a TL (a fine vehicle) as my car rather than the E. I chalk the NAV up with E-class headaches I can deal with such as brake dust.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
I stopped using the navi in my 04 W211 few months after I bought it, since it's close to useless. So many time we used to look for restaurant or resident, only getting lost so bad, or end up at some weird place, worse, those were time with other people in car, what a piece of junk. Back to Yahoo and Mapquest.

Until I bought the Navman 520 (avoid the 510, buggy). Paid $400 for it (from buy.com). It's about 5000 times better than the POS command on the Mercedes: touch screen, higghly accurate map, different view selection, ability to enter house number, quick match (street), vast database of POIs, quick reroute, and best of all: touch screen & really quick.

Now, I just move it to whatever car I drive when I need help w/ navigation.

I have not seen one GPS system from German car that impress me. Audi, VW, Audi, Mercedes, BMW, they're all junk. If you think the DVD based GPS in Mercedes is bad, wait til you use the CD based one (on older models). The VW Pheton even have no name on most street !!.

I think Lexus and Acura have the best GPS system. The one on my friend TL and MDX are years ahead of mercedes (and even them like my Navman, ha !!)

I rarely use GPS, less than once a month, so these aren't big deal for me.

Last edited by zam2000; 11-21-2005 at 01:38 AM.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
I have a lexus/toyota system as it's by far the best system I have ever used. HAs every single POI I have ever wanted to find, east to use, can enter phone number or business name to find destination as well, gives choice of 3 routes, blah blah.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:57 AM
rjm

Multiple
"I think Lexus and Acura have the best GPS system. The one on my friend TL and MDX are years ahead of mercedes"

" I have a lexus/toyota system as it's by far the best system I have ever used."

Are you guys nuts?? Posting that kind of opinion on this forum will subject you to the enduring wrath of The True Believers. How astonishing to suggest that Japanese technology might be superior to German Engineering. The fact is, the Japanese make the finest communication electronics in the world today....like it or not.

Last edited by rjm; 11-21-2005 at 01:32 PM.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by rjm
"I think Lexus and Acura have the best GPS system. The one on my friend TL and MDX are years ahead of mercedes"

" I have a lexus/toyota system as it's by far the best system I have ever used."

Are you guys nuts?? Posting that kind of opinion on this forum will subject you to the enduring wrath of The True Believers. How astonishing to suggest that Japaneese technology might be superior to German Engineering. The fact is, the Japaneese make the finest communication electronics in the world today....like it or not.
Troll...readers beware.

"A True Believer"
Old 11-21-2005, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by rjm
The fact is, the Japaneese make the finest communication electronics in the world today....like it or not.
The Japanese may manufacture some of the finest electronics but they do very little R&D. They simply copy. Anyone with Google can find out who invented what.

BTW, I don't know why I let myself get involved in this inane thread
Old 11-21-2005, 12:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,414 Likes on 3,144 Posts
'71 Pinto
I didn’t have nav in my previous E but I do have it in the CLS. Hey, what can I say it’s not the best, we all agree it lacks and can certainly be better however, to be fair I didn’t order the Premium pkg for the nav - it so happened to be included.

FYI:
Service Campaign Bulletin 2005060011 SEPT05: 2003-2006 Direct mail distribution of navigation DVD for COMAND - Corrects software coding issues such as the inability to enter house numbers and frozen map. VINs below. Any questions, call 800-367-6372.

V (HOH)
I totally agree with V (HOH). If my dad taught me anything it is to always be prepared and then prepare again in whatever it is in life you’re pursuing and, by no means, ever think it is wrong to squeeze the quarter until the eagle cries!

Funny story, my dad once lit a cigar took a couple of puffs and laid it on the ashtray of his opponent’s desk. What this guy didn’t know is that dad put a very thin metal wire in the cigar. The cigar burned a third of the way down but the ash didn’t collapse. After the meeting the guy admits to dad that his concentration was a bit off because he had never seen cigar ashes stay rigid that long.

Sam

All I can say is pity the poor ******* you buy your next car from. I myself always walk in with a well prepared binder and a checkbook in its sleeve. You’ll be amazed at how fast the SM or GM spots you on the floor.

don't blame them... the German Engineer is legendary for his abilities. That country almost ruled the world had it not been for their small resources.. and at the end of that war, they had the most advanced technology in the world for the most part
A&E? Seriously, I can’t agree with you more!!

I still choose to inform MB (and whom else will listen) of their failings.. and other brands with which I have less than 100% satisfaction, even if I chose to continue to buy them.
Don’t ever think they’re not listening. Sure they may not satisfy 100% or immediately however, consider the very many variables, factors, personalities, cultures, and parameters that contribute to any one decision regardless of how simple it appears. Lets face it, how do you think they put food on the table? You got it, the simplest denominator - a satisfied customer.

Jim
Originally Posted by MB-JIM
The difference it that my E350 came with a Becker nav while the C, CLK, ML and I believe the R Class cars all have the Alpine system like is in my C350.
All I can say is Dieter seems serious and, the way I hear it, positive change is coming. Off the record, concerning the USA market, he recently lashed out in a meeting and told engineering if they cannot get it right Auburn Hills will be brought in.

Last edited by konigstiger; 07-01-2006 at 06:31 PM.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:25 PM

'03 E500
so is getting the nav in an E even worth it?
Old 11-21-2005, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by konigstiger
I didn’t have nav in my previous E but I do have it in the CLS. Hey, what can I say it’s not the best, we all agree it lacks and can certainly be better however, to be fair I didn’t order the Premium pkg for the nav - it so happened to be included.

FYI:
Service Campaign Bulletin 2005060011 SEPT05: 2003-2006 Direct mail distribution of navigation DVD for COMAND - Corrects software coding issues such as the inability to enter house numbers and frozen map. VINs below. Any questions, call 800-367-6372.
Good post. Is the version # of that DVD 2005.3? If so I have the latest version.

Having only used Magellan and an IPAQ program for navigation prior to getting the S I cannot comment on any of the other MB NAV installs. All I can say is it does a fine job for me and is quite easy to use and program. I really don't need touch screens and all the other fancy electronic marvel displays...I listen to the audio and never look at the map. Just get me to where I want to go and it does that.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,414 Likes on 3,144 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
Good post. Is the version # of that DVD 2005.3?
I believe so.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:10 PM
IllCDI

the mercedes unit is superior to the toyota/lexus units. I work for Denso the manufacturer of the toyota/lexus/gm/jaguar units and can honestly say that the comand unit in my mercedes is better ergonomically, i dont have to look at the distracting touch screen while driving. I can merely use the knob to select options rather than have to glance over at the touch screen make sure i am touching the proper icon, make sure its registered on the screen, then continue. Its a pain in the ***. Comand integrates with the instrument cluster making it safer and easier to use. I would rather have the unit give me directions to a block rather than a guess to where the actual house location might be; would you rather have the unit take you to a wrong address or to the right block?

Last edited by IllCDI; 11-21-2005 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:30 PM

04 E55
Originally Posted by IllCDI
the mercedes unit is superior to the toyota/lexus units. I work for Denso the manufacturer of the toyota/lexus/gm/jaguar units and can honestly say that the comand unit in my mercedes is better ergonomically, i dont have to look at the distracting touch screen while driving. I can merely use the knob to select options rather than have to glance over at the touch screen make sure i am touching the proper icon, make sure its registered on the screen, then continue. Its a pain in the ***. Comand integrates with the instrument cluster making it safer and easier to use. I would rather have the unit give me directions to a block rather than a guess to where the actual house location might be; would you rather have the unit take you to a wrong address or to the right block?
you are joking right?

touch screen are far better to use than command. why do i need to keep so many buttons to select the character i want, when all i need is one touch on the screen? Ergonomical???? How does multiple buttons with multiple touch to complete selection of one character ergonomical?

Wrong address? at least is is closer to the correct address rather than correct block. I don't need to drive 1/4 of mile to look either left or right to find actual address i want to go.

Face it. MB's navigation blows. Heck, even BMW navi with I-drive is far better than command.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 335 vert, 2004 MDX
Originally Posted by monstaloc
so is getting the nav in an E even worth it?

I would definitely say it's worth it. While there are many better nav systems out there from other manufacturers, it's still better to have the MB one than none. I suppose you could go aftermarket, but it will never be as well integrated as the built-in.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Its official! Mercedes Navigation system is Crap!!!!