E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Its official! Mercedes Navigation system is Crap!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 E500
Originally Posted by xraymd
I would definitely say it's worth it. While there are many better nav systems out there from other manufacturers, it's still better to have the MB one than none. I suppose you could go aftermarket, but it will never be as well integrated as the built-in.

Thanks xray. I think of nav one of those things that I would hardly use, but would know it's worth it once i really needed it, like last weekend.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 335 vert, 2004 MDX
I honestly got it as a toy. I have used it much more than I anticipated.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:21 PM

06 C 350 2014 GLK350
I'm on my 6th MB with nav and have found all of them very helpful even though not perfect. My first was on my 2000 CLK which was the only one available at the time and it had the nav. I was dead set against having the nav system but once I started to use it I would never want a car without one. Even that first CD based system did just about everything I needed from a nav system. Yes, I prefer my DVD based systems and will appreciate improvements on future models but once again, I get all the information I need right now. There is no way I would switch car models just to get a more sophisticated nav system.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
E500 4matic, 2014 GL320, 2013 C300, 2015 Stingray
I agree - get it!

While i'm one of hte first stating it blows compared to the jap cars, i'm also one who doesn't need it to tell me where a restaurant is. The ability to have the map there in front of me is worth the $1200 IMO. As i stated previously, the other navs run $2000. Do i want a better functioning nav, hell yes, but at 1200, its not bad. would i pay 2000 for it? No way in hell. So, you get what you pay for!

Aceman
Old 11-21-2005, 06:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 E55
Originally Posted by aceman
While i'm one of hte first stating it blows compared to the jap cars, i'm also one who doesn't need it to tell me where a restaurant is. The ability to have the map there in front of me is worth the $1200 IMO. As i stated previously, the other navs run $2000. Do i want a better functioning nav, hell yes, but at 1200, its not bad. would i pay 2000 for it? No way in hell. So, you get what you pay for!

Aceman
Not true.

The navigation system in W211 does not cost $1200.

MB embedded the command system cost into base of the car. The $1200 only pays for the DVD navigation drive and one free map. That is quiet expansive.

Take a look at C or CLK in which you have to pay for command and navi. The total price for navigation is $2200.

This is more expanisve or on par with Japanese system.

Therefore, the japanese system are not really more expansive, but are way more powerful and far easier to use.

You don't get what you paid for period.

Just because MB embedded the command unit price into base price of the car, it does not mean you don't pay for it.

Plus, with command system, you are tied to MB's expansive phones, while even BMW and all japanese will offer your the use of bluetooth phones.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:13 PM

2007 Porsche 997 GT3
My solution to the crappy NAV in my 04' SL55

Hi all,

I just bought a 2004 SL55 and am utterly disappointed with its archaic CD based navigation system.

So, I talked it over with the experts at MB1 Motoring, in Atlanta. No problem, they said. This is what they came up with:

They can install this state of the art Alpine Navigation system. Go to alpine-usa.com and check out the demo of this system: (paste in browser)

http://iweb.alpine-usa.com/pls/admn/...ory=&p_main=20

In order to make it compatible with the factory display unit, they are incorporating a little device from these folks:

http://www.nav-tv.com/index02.htm

In the end, the unit will still look completely stock. The difference will be that my SL55 will now have a state of the art navigation system like it always should have. ( as well as Sirius radio now.....can you believe the dealer wanted $1300 just to add the satellite radio!)

Hope this gives some of you hope!
Old 11-21-2005, 06:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
E500 4matic, 2014 GL320, 2013 C300, 2015 Stingray
Doh!!!

Krispy,

thanks for ruining the one thing i actually thought MB was doing me a favor on

Docdan - doesn't look like they have a setup for the E (yet). At least per their website.

Aceman
Old 11-21-2005, 06:58 PM

2007 Porsche 997 GT3
Krispy,

Docdan - doesn't look like they have a setup for the E (yet). At least per their website.

Aceman

actually, if you look at their application guide, it does appear that Nav TV makes an interface for the E class:

http://www.nav-tv.com/docs/app_guide.pdf

I had talked to the folks over at Nav TV. They said that they could pretty much make a custom interface for basically an OEM unit. He said sometimes the installer just mails them the OEM head unit to be re-programmed and sent back to the installer.

Good luck.

Old 11-21-2005, 08:14 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 E300W
Originally Posted by CE750
I think that was said "tongue in cheek" .. it's clearly his position, but many of us tend to agree... though not with the full statement, as I'm sure there is a car made out there with a worse NAV.

Thanks for answering CE750 for the OP, since he hasn't done so for himself. I'm glad you know what the OP thinks!

To be honest, the exising nav has done well for me and I'm pleased with it. Of course, everyone has different expectations, but I've never misssed an appointment or court date with the current systen.

But how about letting posters speak for themselves.

Last edited by TPAbnz; 11-21-2005 at 08:24 PM.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
Originally Posted by TPAbnz
Thanks for answering CE750 for the OP, since he hasn't done so for himself. I'm glad you know what the OP thinks!

To be honest, the exising nav has done well for me and I'm pleased with it. Of course, everyone has different expectations, but I've never misssed an appointment or court date with the current systen.

But how about letting posters speak for themselves.
by all means...

So, 2manytoys?? which "official" did you contact to get this certification and did you get it stamped and registered at the county recorders office? TPAbnz want's to know.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:54 PM

04 E55
Krispy,

Aceman
on the nav on tv issue. Why not spend $$$ and get euro command and OEM tv tuner?
Old 11-21-2005, 09:19 PM

2017 E300W
by all means...

So, 2manytoys?? which "official" did you contact to get this certification and did you get it stamped and registered at the county recorders office? TPAbnz want's to know.
I’m not sure were you’re quoting me from, but perhaps let posters speak for themselves without your inflammatory mischaracterization.

Last edited by TPAbnz; 11-21-2005 at 09:22 PM.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I’m not sure were you’re quoting me from, but let posters speak for themselves without your inflammatory mischaracterization.
and I'm not quite sure what' got you so wound up? What if I have been emailing back and forth with the "OP"? I'm not sure why you have to bust his, and my ***** over his "it's official" which is as cliche as "that sucks" or "It's the worse".. do you SERIOUSLY think he meant it was "official"?

why are you hung up on semantics, and not the subject at hand... the substandard NAV system which you seem so impressed with?

One day you're a polite and fun member of the forum, all of a sudden you wreck you car (for which I did what I could to advise on your insurance) and you're lashing out? cool off man..

Last edited by CE750; 11-21-2005 at 09:26 PM.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:35 PM

2017 E300W
all of a sudden you wreck you car (for which I did what I could to advise on your insurance) and you're lashing out? cool off man..
Sorry pilot, I've never wrecked my car and you NEVER advised me on insurance. Get your facts straight before you lecture. Hey, dude, I'm an attorney and I really don't need your legal advice. Just like I'd never pre-suppose on telling you how to fly a plane.

Don't lecture me when I've never wrecked my car and when you have no friggin idea about liability and me! If you do, please post your ideas (and by posting your agree to Florida court jurisdiction). Thanks!

Last edited by TPAbnz; 11-21-2005 at 10:12 PM.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:56 PM
IllCDI

KrispyKrme,

The japanese Nav units do not have the capability to integrate with the cluster.. I have a lexus as well with the Nav System, and find it inconvenient to have to look at the screen to merely adjust the fan speed of the a/c. Mercedes has ergonomics down, With the Comand system you can get used to where the physical keys are and use those keys without having to take your eyes off the road. You can feel the positive action as you select an item/option. With the touch screen type nav systems you cant really get used to where the options are and must take your eyes off the road due to the lack of hardware buttons. The Toyota/Lexus units are the best of the breed... and I am not claiming that the Comand system is the best navigation system out there, but its easier to use and more functional than the Toyota/Alpine units. Try using a touch screen type system with winter gloves on..... I firmly believe in buttons..
Old 11-21-2005, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Originally Posted by IllCDI

I firmly believe in buttons..
Not to mention that the screen looks like **** with finger prints....
Old 11-21-2005, 10:16 PM

2017 E300W
and I'm not quite sure what' got you so wound up? What if I have been emailing back and forth with the "OP"? I'm not sure why you have to bust his, and my ***** over his "it's official" which is as cliche as "that sucks" or "It's the worse".. do you SERIOUSLY think he meant it was "official"?

why are you hung up on semantics, and not the subject at hand... the substandard NAV system which you seem so impressed with?

One day you're a polite and fun member of the forum, all of a sudden you wreck you car (for which I did what I could to advise on your insurance) and you're lashing out? cool off man..

Calling CE750?
Old 11-21-2005, 10:24 PM

KrispyKrme,

I have a lexus as well with the Nav System, and find it inconvenient to have to look at the screen to merely adjust the fan speed of the a/c. Mercedes has ergonomics down, With the Comand system you can get used to where the physical keys are and use those keys without having to take your eyes off the road. .

When I first fiddled with the Nav in my buddies '06 GS I loved it. But, I think the touch screen would get annoying after awhile. Smudges.. etc...

I have used my navi just a few times and everytime it has gotten me to where I wanted to go with no prob. The whole "address range" thing is my only complaint.

With that being said: Now it's "Official" ,that just like anything, there are pros/cons.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sorry, I've never wrecked my car and you NEVER advised me on insurance. Get your facts straight before you lecture.
well then I got you mixed up with a "Polite member" FlintCDI.. living in Florida... maybe you were never polite. or Maybe you're a woman who's having a hormonal moment.

So go ahead, bust 2manytoys ***** for his choice of words, rather than discuss the topic of a dated NAV in a car selling for over $53K...

I'll go ahead and start by ending this back and forth over semantics with you and we'll both wait for 2manytoys to answer where he got his "official" certification, since it clearly wasn't tongue-in-cheek.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by HELL ONA HARLEY
Not to mention that the screen looks like **** with finger prints....
which is why you'll never hear me biaching about not having a touch screen control for it.. now voice activation, would have been nice :p
Old 11-21-2005, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AJU_E350
With that being said: Now it's "Official" ,that just like anything, there are pros/cons.
Be careful, you can't say that unless you can substantiate where the official status came from, and who the certifying official was.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its big and Grey!
so today I was siting out front of my rental property. I needed a home depot, there is one near my house that was 15 min away. I wanted to find a closer one. I couldn't. Why? I could not enter a name! Hell, I didnt know what catagory to even look under. This system is dated and sucks.

BTW, I still love my car. I wouldnt trade it for anything.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:20 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
2003 E500, 2004 G35X
Now you know why MB is rated so low in the Consumer Report! Can't even get the simple thing done right I am glad that I did not order the OEM navi. I have the Garmin so I can transfer it from car to car, and get to keep it when I sell my MB
Old 11-22-2005, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 2manytoys
so today I was siting out front of my rental property. I needed a home depot, there is one near my house that was 15 min away. I wanted to find a closer one. I couldn't. Why? I could not enter a name! Hell, I didnt know what catagory to even look under. This system is dated and sucks.

BTW, I still love my car. I wouldnt trade it for anything.

BTW.. TPAbnz asked you a question, and he's anxiously awaiting your answer.. as mine was not sufficient.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:56 PM

04 E55
KrispyKrme,

The japanese Nav units do not have the capability to integrate with the cluster.. I have a lexus as well with the Nav System, and find it inconvenient to have to look at the screen to merely adjust the fan speed of the a/c. Mercedes has ergonomics down, With the Comand system you can get used to where the physical keys are and use those keys without having to take your eyes off the road. You can feel the positive action as you select an item/option. With the touch screen type nav systems you cant really get used to where the options are and must take your eyes off the road due to the lack of hardware buttons. The Toyota/Lexus units are the best of the breed... and I am not claiming that the Comand system is the best navigation system out there, but its easier to use and more functional than the Toyota/Alpine units. Try using a touch screen type system with winter gloves on..... I firmly believe in buttons..

You are joking right.

1st of all. In sedan form both command and japanese navi sit in same location. Typically underneath the vent. In other word, both command and japanese 4 door navi (save the infiniti, mazda, RL) requires you as driver to take eyes off the road to enter information into command.

2nd. You are wrong on buttons as well as touch screen as well. Toyota/lexus isolated the menu selection as form of buttons, in fact it does a better job than command because the button locations.

Here is picture of my E55's command (PAY ATTENTION TO WHERE IT SITS). Are you going to tell me that your eyse are at level of command when driving?

Here is what a typical Toyota/Lexus navi looks like. (not a good picture, as it is missing the map, destination..etc buttons on the left)

Moreover, you are so wrong about your comment on touch screen buttons.

All touch screen buttons are always at same location and clearly marked. In fact, when you hit a selection the touch screen button changes color plus an audible chime.

On the command once you get into the sub menu, you have to use those tiny buttons with no marking on it. The reality is that you now have to remember what each small button's function when you are in the sub menu.

So which one is a better design? A big huge unchanging touch screen button or small unmarked buttons that requires you as a driver to take eyes off road or remember what each small button does in the sub-menu?

In addition, to enter one character i need one button on the touch screen system. How many turn do i need to make on the knob system (none dvd based command) or click i need with direction pads?

The answer is obvious.

3rd.

You were also wrong on pointing to correct address vs. correct block.

Take a look into following two picture. It is self explainatory.

These two photo was taken on my E500 (departed) and my sienna. Destination was lexus of oakland (which someone states was missing in the toyota/lexus data base).

Note how far apart the destination were. Now tell me which navi will you prefer. The one that leaves you 1/4 miles away or right to the door.

4th.

I will agree however with finger print issue. Because it is a problem with touch screen system. But i will take ease of use over it.

5th.

Toyota/lexus navigation already offers voice recognition. Same applies to infiniti, and BMW.

MB can be modified to allow voice command, but at this time MBUSA does not have it from the factory.

If you want to discuss truthfully, i am all for it.

But none of your comment are correct.

Last edited by krispykrme; 11-22-2005 at 05:06 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Its official! Mercedes Navigation system is Crap!!!!