2006 E350 4matic transmission issue... HELP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 10:11 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 E350 4Matic
2006 E350 4matic transmission issue... HELP

I love this car but i'm really starting to get worried about the reliability of it. Its a 06 350 4matic with about 2K miles on it and I noticed this happen twice already. Both times when i was merging onto the highway i depressed the accelerator and the car wouldn't speed up but the engine rpms would just climb as if the car was in neutral. The revs would just keep climbing to 4-5K and the car is barely accelerating like it was in neutral. If i let off the gas and let the rpms drop and then accelerate again it would be fine. Is this a common issue with the 4matic? Easy fix? The car is at the dealer now but i haven't heard back from them yet. I don't want to get the usual "can't duplicate the problem" answer and just send me on my way.

Any help is appreciated,

Alan
Old 12-05-2005, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
I heard of this happening to a member recently, it's a software fix.. get it into the dealer for a diag asap.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
Your issue has nothing to do with any part of the 4-Matic system. There have been some issues with software on some of the E350s, but those have mostly been on the 7 gear transmissions.

You have a 4-Matic, which means that you have a 5-speed transmission. There have been several cases where these transmissions have had internal fluid leaks that cause the valve body not to engage gears. Your issue has been seen in a few other posts here and that is what they have found. An internal leak.

You need to have this looked at ASAP, but the best thing to do is to have a video camera in your car and you need to videotape that dashboard and the gear shifter being in "D" and the rpm gage revving with no response. Otherwise, the dealer will always tell you that they cannot replicate the problem.

I would go as far as telling the dealer that you find this car to be unsafe and show them the video. They should be able to find many service bulletins that troubleshoot this issue.

I have been lucky and my car's power train has been perfect since day one and 13k miles.

I hope this helps and keep us posted on the outcome of this issue.

Steve
Old 12-06-2005, 04:21 PM
dyn

Exclamation w211 transmission problem

Help
I drive a late 2002 registered (uk) E270cdi with auto tiptronic (one of the very first w211) with less than 30,000 miles, recently I started to have problems with the speed as the car slips as I try pull away, then jolts very badly as if the handbrakes were on and it does not want to move. sometimes when I take my foot off the acceleration and try to pull away again it jolts agains and then responds but when I try to move faster same problem again. I took it to the garage and after various test they said it a transmission problem. They said that the gear oil coolant (located within the radiator) had taken in water.AS a result the water has got into the gear box and oil has got into the torque converter. so they all have to be replaced. gear box,torque converter, radiator, reflushing of transmission after replacement.
big unbeliveable bill at the moment
I heard from unconfirmed sources that mercedes placing the problem prone gear oil coolant in the radiator is design flaw waiting to cause major problems as in this case where a faulty / licking gear oil coolant seems to have caused major problems by drawing water into gear box. How this could also have caused oil to be draw into the torque convertor, I don't know. please educate me
Old 12-06-2005, 04:31 PM
Almost a Member!

06 E350 4Matic
Thanks everyone.

The dealer said it was a fluid leak and they had to replace some seals, gaskets, AT fluids etc....

So far so good. I'm wondering if they replaced it with an updated part or will I eventually have this problem again
Old 07-05-2012, 09:54 AM

E350, Suburban, Sea Ray Sundancer 270
Would this fluid leak also cause the car not to upshift in a similar circumstance. Every now and then when I accelerate to merge onto the highway, it seems when I get to the 55 -65 mph range, the car hangs in a lower gear (either 3 or 4), so when you let off the accelerator, you get that feeling that you're slowing down considerably. Of course on the flip side, when you get back on the accelerator the car jumps because it's still in the lower gear. Not always, but a few times when the car finally shifts, it is a bit of a hard shift.

Dealer first replaced the pilot bushing, but said they really couldn't duplicate the problem. Well the problem hasn't gone away, it's just that even I can't duplicate the problem each time I'm on the road. It happens intermittently.