Our "nano" paint....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Build date 2-04 E500
Our "nano" paint....

Has anyone else noticed that is **** never stops shinning???? I'm very impressed with this paint as no matter how dirty my ride gets, the finish still shines through... I'm still not convinced about rock chip durability, but I have not one swirl mark or scratch it's the finish. MB definatly hit a homerun when they developed this clearcoat....

Oh and you newbie's.... before you ask "whats Nano paint" do the search....
Old 12-13-2005, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
HOH, its more than a clearcoat. Even the paint is self is applied in a particle free room and has a nano coat itself. I toured the factory a few months back and was amazed at how much precision goes into the paint process. Very amazing technology and MB has surely hit a Grand Slam with this new paint process.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
Definitely a place where MB is head and shoulders above the rest! I'm amazed at the lack of "swirls" under the direct sunlight.. I keep a good layer of synthetic polymer sealant wax on it, and I expect it will look like new for a couple of decades.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
Originally Posted by HELL ONA HARLEY
Has anyone else noticed that is **** never stops shinning???? I'm very impressed with this paint as no matter how dirty my ride gets, the finish still shines through... I'm still not convinced about rock chip durability, but I have not one swirl mark or scratch it's the finish. MB definatly hit a homerun when they developed this clearcoat....

Vince! HOW DARE YOU POST SOMETHING POSITIVE ABOUT OUR W211s HERE!!

I mean . . . this forum is supposed to be a b1tching and moaning forum! Oh, wait. . I guess I have gotten used to all the ***** that people always complain about and I forgot that this car has disproportionately more positive things about it than negative.

My car does not have "nano" paint since it was painted in the 17th German Bundersland, Austria. Even though I don't have it, my white paint has been great. But then again, my 300E had excellent paint too. The great thing is that this paint (even the 4-matic models) is much more environmentally friendly and still holds up like the old ones did. This is a great accomplishment and should be commended. OH!!! LISTEN TO ME, I just said something positive about my car too! I can't believe it!

Thanks for another positive thread Vince, we need more of them here. I was starting to feel left out since my E has not been acting up at all.

Steve

Just in case, this is supposed to be sarcastic
Old 12-13-2005, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Originally Posted by SAguirre
Vince! HOW DARE YOU POST SOMETHING POSITIVE ABOUT OUR W211s HERE!!

L.O.L.......

Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
its more than a clearcoat. Even the paint is self is applied in a particle free room and has a nano coat itself.
Didn't know that and sounds even more durable applied in this procedure..
Old 12-13-2005, 11:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 E320

Couldn't agree more!!! Now I feel like applying a coat of NXT!!! My only gripe is how easily the paint chips on the front bumper.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by W211 Ryda
Couldn't agree more!!! Now I feel like applying a coat of NXT!!! My only gripe is how easily the paint chips on the front bumper.
which is why I invested $500 in a 3M clearbra... 0-chips, and I live in chip-central, i.e. Arizona.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:21 PM

Some MBs & Bimmers

Vince

I hate to jink this thread ... but let me give you my observation of nano paint on my white E500 and black SLK350.

Both my cars have paint chips galore .... and I travel on the same road with my other cars but it appears that both MBs are "chip" magnets

As for swirl marks, I am not sure the 'lack' of it has any relation with the Nano paint application (even though MB claims that's the case).

Why ???? Because my white E500 looks fine (ok ...great) BUT DAMN, my black SLK350 is covered with swirl marks. I have babied my SLK more so than my E but swirl marks are everywhere.

So, my conclusion is that light colored cars tend to hid swirl marks much better.

Just my 2cents
Old 12-13-2005, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E320
Originally Posted by CE750
which is why I invested $500 in a 3M clearbra... 0-chips, and I live in chip-central, i.e. Arizona.

I've researched & considered the clearbra option myself, but I still don't understand how a thin sheet of film could prevent chips. Is the film that thick to absorb the impact and wouldn't you see a line from the edges of the film?
Old 12-13-2005, 11:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I've researched & considered the clearbra option myself, but I still don't understand how a thin sheet of film could prevent chips. Is the film that thick to absorb the impact and wouldn't you see a line from the edges of the film?
Something along the lines.
It's like just preventing the paint from chipping off in the first place, so it all looks black still.
Or not black, whatever color your car is.

See, if you have a black car, and it gets chipped, it looks white and that looks bad. If you have the film on the car, then the paint can't chip, just dent I guess.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

trust me, it looks good, and works great...
see the pics of my car on my website.. I dare you to find the lines that show I have a clear bra.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Originally Posted by GearHead
Vince

I hate to jink this thread ... but let me give you my observation of nano paint on my white E500 and black SLK350.

Both my cars have paint chips galore .... and I travel on the same road with my other cars but it appears that both MBs are "chip" magnets

As for swirl marks, I am not sure the 'lack' of it has any relation with the Nano paint application (even though MB claims that's the case).

Why ???? Because my white E500 looks fine (ok ...great) BUT DAMN, my black SLK350 is covered with swirl marks. I have babied my SLK more so than my E but swirl marks are everywhere.

So, my conclusion is that light colored cars tend to hid swirl marks much better.

Just my 2cents

Hey Gearhead,
I totally agree with you about the paint chips. My car also shows plenty and yes, I've "reported" my observations here before in previous theads. To be fair, MB's claims about the Nano paint are not to protect against paint chips but rather protect against swirlmarks, scratches and holding a longer shine over the life of the car. I also agree that lighter color cars tend to hide swirl marks better than darker colors, but if you look close you can find them even on white cars. My car shows absolutly none. What really amazes me about this Nano paint is the shine. My car is sitting in the garage now just filthy and yet shines like I just waxed it. Kinda wierd...
Old 12-14-2005, 01:52 AM

Some MBs & Bimmers
Hey Gearhead,
I totally agree with you about the paint chips. My car also shows plenty and yes, I've "reported" my observations here before in previous theads. To be fair, MB's claims about the Nano paint are not to protect against paint chips but rather protect against swirlmarks, scratches and holding a longer shine over the life of the car. I also agree that lighter color cars tend to hide swirl marks better than darker colors, but if you look close you can find them even on white cars. My car shows absolutly none. What really amazes me about this Nano paint is the shine. My car is sitting in the garage now just filthy and yet shines like I just waxed it. Kinda wierd...
Vince

You are right. Swirl marks do appear on my Alabaster white but it is not as apparent as the marks on my Black SLK.

IMHO, I think one thing that is going for you is your Silver metallic paint. I sincerely believe this also applies to anyone with metallic paint. That metallic compound probably helps enhance the shine as well as produces the effects of "less" swirl marks.

The thing that bothers me is that when MBAG came out with the Nano paint, they were bragging that this new technology will eliminate the swirl marks. One look at my Black SLK, I can only say .... Dream On. (mind you, I washed my SLK with soft water, clayed it multiple times, waxed it ... I still see swirls)
Old 12-14-2005, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
I have replaced both my windshield on my E class and on my Audi last spring because of rock hits. Colorado loves to use gravel instead of chemicals. Most every high-end car here has a clear bra. They really do work! I cannot stress this more.

The interesting thing is that I only have the clear bra on my hood, front part of the fenders, a pillars inside the door handles and the upper part of the re rear bumper. My front bumper is bear and does not have the clear bra. After 13k miles of mountain and city driving in gravel, I have no chips on my bumper, but two chips on my hood where rocks hit just past the clear bra.

The theory is that this thin film prevents the paint from being the buffer between the metal/plastic and the rock. I find that this truly works well. And yes, my Audi also has a clear bra and it has no chips after 10 years.

As far as the line on the edge on the clear bra, you have to look for it to find it.

Steve
Old 12-14-2005, 11:19 AM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
When did M-B start using "nano" paint on the W211? MY 2004?

http://www.flintrugby.net/80s%20Personalities/mork.jpg
Old 12-14-2005, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E320
CE750 & SAguirre, thanks for the testimonials guys! Clear bra will be next on my mod list. One more question, you guys haven't noticed any discoloration or haziness/opaque on the film after a long period of time?
Old 12-14-2005, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CE750 & SAguirre, thanks for the testimonials guys! Clear bra will be next on my mod list. One more question, you guys haven't noticed any discoloration or haziness/opaque on the film after a long period of time?
I have seen some cars with this issue. However, this has never happened to me and I have been using this for over 9 years. The only thing that I had to do is change the whole clear bra after about 5 years on the Audi since it was beat up. When it was removed, there was no difference in the pain underneath it. My cars are almost always in the garage.

If you get the 3M film and you have someone who reputable do it, there will be a lifetime guarantee on it. I had my Benz done at the MB dealer so that I could hold them accountable even if the guy who installs it leaves.

I think that you will like it and you will have a really hard time telling that it is on your car since silver is a good color for hiding the line.

btw, I hope you get all your little annoying problems fixed!

Steve
Old 12-14-2005, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have treated it as if it were paint.... waxing it, etc.. and so far not a single bit of discoloration. I understand previous generations of this product did it, but now are less likely to. I doubt it will last as long as the paint, but then I can easily replace it in 4-5 years if I still have the car.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:41 PM

CLS 350
is nano paint standard in all w211?

i have mine washed at a local car cleaner, though handwash, i still can see swirl on the car when it is under direct sunlight.

when it is dark and lighted by lamp or any light source, it still look fabulous though.

i have a black exterior, might this be the case why the swirl is so visible?
Old 12-14-2005, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by -tokz-

i have mine washed at a local car cleaner, though handwash, i still can see swirl on the car when it is under direct sunlight.

when it is dark and lighted by lamp or any light source, it still look fabulous though.

If your E320 is an early '04.. (build date in mid '03).. it's not nanopaint.

Black is also next to impossible to hid swirls on, so even nano will show.. but not anywhere near as much.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:04 PM
Out Of Control!!

w211 & w124
I do love it as well. I had brilliant silver on my CLK (MY99) and it had swirl marks galore even though I babied the paint and waxed it religiously.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500

One way to see if you have the nano paint is to look at the manufacturer sticker that on the drivers side door jamb. There will be the letter "C" before the paint code ie, C744 for Brilliant Silver .............. If you don't have it the just the numbers will be there.

Heres a pic of mine....

Old 12-14-2005, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4-Matic W211s don't have nano paint either. Although the body is made in Stuttgart, it is shipped to Austria and then it is assembled there along with the 4-Matic systems. That plant does not have the nano painting system, but don't worry, even when I toured the MB plans 6 years ago, their paint areas were just clean as a computer chip maker (well, close).

I don't have a picture of my door sticker and I am not going out to the garage now, but here is a picture of a 4-matic loaner wagon I used.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails Our "nano" paint....-doorsticker.jpg  
Old 12-16-2005, 07:37 PM

i have a 2006 e350 4matic, brilliant silver. my paint code is preceded by a "c" -- so I guess the 2006 4matics have nano clear coat.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 Yukon XL Denali, '06 Eclipse GS
Originally Posted by rboris
i have a 2006 e350 4matic, brilliant silver. my paint code is preceded by a "c" -- so I guess the 2006 4matics have nano clear coat.
Any paint code number preceded by "C" is nano paint, regardless of class, model, etc.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Our "nano" paint....