Mercedes E500 or Lexus GS430 - Pros and Cons

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
Originally Posted by IllCDI
I agree that wear and tear is a big deal and that Japanese cars "wear" quicker than Mercedes'. Most people on this board would not keep their car past the warranty/lease period anyway so by the time it has wear that might become an annoyance, it will be long gone.
but to be fair in this case.... wear isn't exponential.. its not like the cars interior looks new and lacks rattles and squeaks for 9 years, then in the 10th they all magically appear thru exponential acceleration. This is a linear process... so a 3 year old MB looks A LOT nicer than a 3 year old Lexus, etc.. I for one have every intention (now that I've seen the new S) to keep this car well close to 10 years.. Heck, it's paid for, why not?

But interior build quality is dramatically different on the two, and I am firm about this, because I sold used cars back in '94 and recall the interiors of the 2 year old Lexus would look like 10 year old MB's..

but your other points are well take... especially the Diesel engine point... the engine in the CDI is going to out last the electronics... but assuming these electronics are easily replaced (as modules) and become less expensive as the used market builds up for this car.. a CDI can be running quite well in 25 years.. and some young college student can use as safe transpiration.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:21 AM
IllCDI

Originally Posted by CE750
But interior build quality is dramatically different on the two, and I am firm about this, because I sold used cars back in '94 and recall the interiors of the 2 year old Lexus would look like 10 year old MB's..
You should be happy that you got MB Tex instead of leather your interior will outlast the life of the car.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
Originally Posted by IllCDI
You should be happy that you got MB Tex instead of leather your interior will outlast the life of the car.
I have forced myself to accept this fact.. in order to to be happy. I guess it's called rationalization... nevertheless, I'm mad about being lied to.

But you're right..