E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Do MB Engineers Learn from this Site

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do MB Engineers Learn from this Site

Do you think that the Mercedes engineers watch and learn from this site to address problem areas or areas for improvement? A lot of interesting things come up all of the time and I would say it is a great source of information for them...
Old 01-19-2006, 04:53 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
I can assure both DCX/MB & MBUSA are aware. Willing to learn, well that’s a horse of another color. At any rate these forums do provide for viable, cost effective marketing research.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
I'd really like to believe that, and deep inside I do... but thats the very definition of "Faith". (Believeing in something with absolutely no "proof" or affirmation of its existance.

I'm sure some employee, somewhere of MBUSA steals a moment or two during his workday to "sneak a peak". But to think MBUSA might be paying someone to look at the WWW to do market research just doesn't seem a possibility.

There are many legitmate gripes discussed here that would be addressed much faster if MBUSA were actively looking on line for anything.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:11 PM
ON PROBATION

We're here because we have an interest.... What would lead you to believe that DC and MBUSA folks who have an interest wouldn't be here also?!!! LOL
Old 01-19-2006, 05:21 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
I am sure that they couldn't care less...

greetingz,
Old 01-19-2006, 05:26 PM
Out Of Control!!

In the market
they are here....lurking in the backgound...we can't see or hear them, but rest assured they are here......

Old 01-19-2006, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Blimp
Originally Posted by MBenzNL

greetingz,
Exactly..

btw, I cant get over how nice your wheels look on the W203... aah, i want those!
Old 01-19-2006, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Sales & repeat buyers tell them how they are doing. Not us perfectionist fans. Remember, we bought these cars even with their "tainted reputations". We ARE MB fans it would take Major Arrogance on their part to send us to another brand. And it would take the 2nd model change to do so. (W-213?)

While there is valuable information on this Board, most of it is about how we can add European equipment to our American Spec cars, or add stuff we should have ordered in the first place. Really this board is heavily aftermarket oriented. Dealers like to work on cars that are American Spec, not "orphans" or "one offs" dolled up the way we like them. A dealer taking in a modded car will have his hands full servicing it. There will be no factory info/documentation available to him on the mods. For the most part we are considered self centered amateurs by the "Suits" in Germany and in New Jersey... even though we are devotees and proud owners.

DCX's & MBUSA's accountants will tell them all they care to know about how good their product is. Period. It hurts, but it's true.

But somewhere, I'm sure there IS an MBUSA guy goofing off at his desk, looking on line at our posts, just to kill a few minutes. He's not going to print one out & show it to anybody other than to say to somebody over the water cooler: "Don't these guys have lives? Look at this idiot's post!"

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 01-19-2006 at 09:50 PM.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
I suspect MB feels its warranty and other service work provide a good information feedback channel.

As for taste issues, MB is working very hard at tacky.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Originally Posted by MBenzNL

greetingz,

Couldn't agree more....

Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
DCX's & MBUSA's accountants will tell them all they care to know about how good their product is. Period. It hurts, but it's true.
Couldn't agree more with this one too....
Old 01-19-2006, 09:43 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 E300W
If they cared, they would make some fundamental, no-cost changes that our savy members have suggested for the NA market.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:19 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Believe it or not manufacturers do, in fact, hire within the realm of a marketing research contract bodies to scan the web inclusive of forums and blogs. The “accountants” factor this into the cost of doing business. A write off Barry, you heard of them haven’t you? Of course no employer in there right mind would dedicate a payroll employee pulling salary and benefits to screw around on the net.

As far as actual enactment of whatever “relevant data” is mined this is all thrown together with initial buyer, service, J.D. Power, telephone, etc. surveys then reasoned to see if it will benefit a few perfectionists or buyers across the board, and how to incorporate that which makes the list cost effectively – standard, option, etc. Why did the 211 loose puddle lights, get new cup holders, drop the seat function in the easy/exit feature etc., etc., etc. (as much as we here on the forum disagree) it was due to customer feedback (i.e.: rating a particular feature as unimportant or not high on the priority list) to counter the sinking dollar. Seperately, presets on the C-Class and not the E-Class? One might say the C = younger drivers/important feature, E = older drivers/not so important. BTW I'm not looking to debate these features just throwing them out to underline my point - please no tantrums!

Vince yes I do agree that the bean counters control the bottom line however, realize the entire worldwide process is in play not only to appease the stockholders but also to manufacture and sell a product that the buyer wants (which takes research) otherwise what’s the point?

And no one here can disagree that the web (not just our beloved mbworld.org) is one of the most cost effective data mining research tools available to companies today!

Having said this, what MBUSA needs to do is take the “bull” by the horns and convince DCX/MB to understand American culture and make cars more appealing to U.S. customers. That is to say realize that Americans treat their cars like rolling extensions of their living rooms or office. In Germany, it’s all about driving, but here, it’s about everything but driving!

Do MB Engineers learn from this Site? First hand, absolutely not! Ultimately, I believe so. Do they care? MB Engineers probably not; DCX/MB probably not because our comments are specific to the North American market. MBUSA should care but unfortunately has yet to step up to the plate as mentioned previously!

Last edited by konigstiger; 01-20-2006 at 02:23 AM.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All Diesel Fleet !1983 240d stick,2005 E320 CDI Midnight blue, 2005 E320 CDI, Desert Silver, Kubota
Survey gives DC information...or maybe not

I love my Benz's but when I got the 4 or 6 page survey to fill out I threw it away because I was given no incentive to fill it out. Not even a thankyou for being such a good and loyal( 9 Benz's ) customer. It was a...."Here is this survey, fill it out." I don't work like that. If someone from DC had called me I would have stayed on the phone for an hour telling them what I think. But no, not in this computer world where you can quantify everything on a 1-5 scale.

DC has to get more interactive, from fixing their hopeless website, to giving and getting feedback from forums and people like us.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:47 AM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by jimbo1mcm
DC has to get more interactive, from fixing their hopeless website, to giving and getting feedback from forums and people like us.
Agreed! Make it easier, cut costs, etc. There is so much they can improve for themselves and their customers from a business stand point – both DCX/MB & MBUSA.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:14 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
2003 E500, 2004 G35X
Does MB care about our feedback?

I would like to think that MB does care about our feedback, I really don't. Most MB buyers are not like us. That's why whenever you go to MB dealer for service, they treat you like you know next to nothing about cars! The majority of the buyers don't gripe much like here; they prefer the leather couch and espresso treatment more than anything else. They are not car enthusiasts!

Therefore, our opinions don't mean much at all. We are just a very small group of minority owners that share similar interest. To MB, we don't amount much at all, if any! Therefore if you ask me whether MB take notice to our forum, the answer is an emphatic NO!!!

I once belong to the MB Club, that was a wast of time to me! I quit after one year and never looked back. The forum at the club expects you not to be too critical of MB. To by pass the SBC and work on your brakes is big NO, NO at that forum. I asked about it and was gentally told not to discuss the topic further. Doe MB pay some attention to the Club's forum, you betcha!
Old 01-20-2006, 11:52 AM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
No they don’t specifically; personally; make it a point daily; do their best to acquire personal information for retaliation; read our forums. However, they do receive feedback on matters from their “outsourced” research endeavors. Matters mined from a number of sources the likes of which are recommended to those who actually make the decisions. Everyone is missing the big picture here. What company can survive without marketing research? Yes our opinions number small in the total collection but that which is relevant to future sales and customer satisfaction (across all demographics) is collected and passed on for consideration within the parameters of production and longevity costs for the company.

In fact, I personally know of one DCX/MB management type who visited our forums not too long ago upon invitation. He was impressed enough to say that he jotted down notes! BS, well you have the right to believe what you want to believe as does everyone else here.

BTW, my dealer’s Service Director and Service Production Manager both make it a point to meet and greet me upon arrival – always (unless out of town of course).

Do they know how to read, do they care, nah!
Old 01-20-2006, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
In an e-mail, I actually told MBUSA to check this website from time to time to see what current E class OWNERS feel. Got no response. Not even a boilerplate form letter!