E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

what can be the problem????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 11:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'07 s550 4matic
Originally Posted by SAguirre
I find it interesting that your dealer was willing to change the differential to try and solve the problem, but now they are not doing anything else even though the problem they first tried to fix is still there.

A wheel bearing that is starting to go will sound totally normal if there is no weight on it. When they listened to it, were the wheels of the ground? If they were, then that is not a real test of the bearings.

If they still are being this stubborn about this I would go to another dealer and complain to MBUSA (not that it will make a huge difference, but it is worth a shot). The problem should only get worse, so they will have to fix it sooner or later. If the problem is finally diagnosed after the warranty is over, then you have tons of proof about this issue and you might still get it covered.

As per the rear CV joints, they don’t make the kind of noise you described when they start to go. But you never know.

Why is your dealer just giving up on the problem?

Steve
Im going to look for antoher dealer next week. This one seems to have given up. I think they are afraid to keep replacing parts since they already put alot of time/money into the differential. Thier mechanics seem to be good at nothing except throwing parts at the car. They now keep trying to pass it off as tire noise which make absolutey no sense since this is the 2nd pair of tires ive had on this car and the sound still persists.

When they checked for the bearing, the car was off the ground without the wheel and they checked it with a scope as the axle spun. Is this not a good test?

Anyway, I'm not going to give up on this. My car is at 45,000 miles so the warranty is almost up. I think at this point it might be best to go for the extended.

Any chance it could be related to the drive shaft...maybe the flex disc? Not sure what those sound like when they go bad.

Last edited by hotwiredbenz; 02-07-2006 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:50 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,421 Likes on 3,147 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by kaggz1227
Im going to look for antoher dealer next week. This one seems to have given up. Anyway, I'm not going to give up on this. My car is at 45,000 miles so the warranty is almost up.
In review of the circumstances, request that the MBUSA SPOM (Service & Parts Operations Manager) get involved your dealer cannot refuse this request and must supply contact info for, or make arrangements to be contacted by, the SPOM.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'07 s550 4matic
okay so I took it to another dealer. I got the car back today and they said that the cross brace above the differential was loose and they had to tighten it. I took the car out for a drive and noticed that the sound was gone...however...I drove it for a good hour, taking it up to 110-120 several times and after about a half hour, the sound slowly started to come back. Its not as noticeable, but its present again. Do you think the cause is actually the cross brace, or maybe its something else just just happend to get shaken up when they were messing with the car.

I guess my question is...based on my description of the problem, does it seem logical that the problem could have been caused by the cross brace?

Last edited by hotwiredbenz; 02-11-2006 at 12:45 AM.