E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

help needed desperately ...vibration on highway is not going away!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help needed desperately ...vibration on highway is not going away!!

Ive taken my car to 2 dealerships and im geting so fed up. Ive been having a steady vibration in my car (steering wheel, seats, gas pedal, basicaly everywhere) at speeds 75mph+. I can see the passenger seat vibrating like mad. It doesnt happen ALL the time, but about 80% of the time. Its especially worse if you accelerate really hard and then start to coast. Vibration occurs on acceleration as well when youre driving fast enough. Changing gears, taking it out gear has no effect. Ive had the tires balanced over and over and then finally replaced all together. Still the same problem. One time, I had the car idling at a stop for about an hour and then acclerated really hard and the vibration was the worsst it had ever been. Im also hearing a very slight muffled fluttering noise coming from the rear at 75mph+,..maybe the drivers side, not sure. I tried rotating the tires, but sound still comes from the same spot. Vibration doesnt really get much worse as speed increases, but the sound gets faster and higher pitches. Everything runs fine when speed gets back to under 70mph What can be the problem???

The only clue i Have is that I took it for my scheduled service E, and after I got it back, the car was riding soooo smooth. But after a day of driving, vibration was back.

ARGHHHH

Last edited by martin2k1; 02-11-2006 at 11:19 PM.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
You don't mention what year, but if it is a 2003, possibly the engine mounts?
Old 02-12-2006, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by alewifebp
You don't mention what year, but if it is a 2003, possibly the engine mounts?
it is an 03. i had the engine mounts replaced. DOnt think its that since the sound doesnt change when I switch gear. Its completely dependant on the speed of the car, not engine. im not sure what they messed around with when they did the Service E, but whatever it was, it helped for a day or so.

Last edited by martin2k1; 02-12-2006 at 02:46 AM.
Old 02-12-2006, 02:59 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 186 Likes on 135 Posts
Check these:

1) Wheel bearings

2) Drive shaft
Old 02-12-2006, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 M6, 05 Noble, 01 S4, Smart ForTwo
Originally Posted by RJC
Check these:

1) Wheel bearings

2) Drive shaft
Thats what I was gonna say. Or a bad tire - bubbled sidewall. happened to me recently
Old 02-13-2006, 01:18 AM

how long can you go on a bad bearing? ive been having this problem for at least 3 months and I drive alot, so maybe I can rule out the bearings. Drive shaft definitely needs to be checked though.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:41 AM

2004 E320 4matic, 2007 530xiT
it happened to me too

at speeds above 50 or 60 MPH, it was a bent rim (from a pothole). replacing the rim fixed it.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:17 AM

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts
'07 GL450
Originally Posted by guru
at speeds above 50 or 60 MPH, it was a bent rim (from a pothole). replacing the rim fixed it.
guru,

How did you determine that the rim was the issue (what procedure did you follow), and not something else?

I've been having similar issues and have gotten numerous [free] alignments and balancings from the dealer, but the problem persists. It all started with the "car pulling to the right thing" along with the "vibration at speeds above 60 mph".

I now have 30k miles on this puppy and the problem (vibration; alignment is now fine) has not been solved. I've tried convincing the dealer to look at the possibility that there might be a problem with one of the rims, but they just don't listen.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Just another example of cost cutting. Mercedes used to have forged wheels. Now they have cheap, poorly cast wheels. The wheels on my 15 year old 300E have been through just about every kind of abuse you could imagine and they are hardly scratched. The first time I bumped a curb with my E320, it chipped a wheel.

Anyway, it's good to hear the problem has been resolved without it being more sinister.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Sound like the stealers are being jerks.....I have heard of them popping on another pair (swapping off another car) of rims to rule out bad tires/rims.

Stay on them......you'll find it.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:23 AM

if a bent rim is a possibility, wouldnt rotating the tires change the location of the noise? I can hear a distinct noise coming from the rear when the vibrations start. Unless maybe all the wheels are bent.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:13 PM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
I just had the exact same problem and the wheels were out of round. Replaced all 4 tires and things are better..

By the way the tires are Dunlop M3 Winter tires.. Referred to me by Tirerack and IMO these wheels are a big waste of time.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:11 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
2003 E500, 2004 G35X
I am sorry learn that the dealer was unable to solve the vibration problem. From my experience, most MB service people are parts replacers. They are not true mechanics who know how to diagnose a problem. They don't have the practical experience to do process of elimination to get to the root of the problem. When they don't see a code in the computer, they are at a loss. The MB dealers are good at greeting us, give us espresso, with leather couch and big screen to watch. That is what you paid your money for! To me, I'd prefer more competent mechanics who can get it right the first time!
Old 02-13-2006, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
Originally Posted by Flash Gordon
I am sorry learn that the dealer was unable to solve the vibration problem. From my experience, most MB service people are parts replacers. They are not true mechanics who know how to diagnose a problem. They don't have the practical experience to do process of elimination to get to the root of the problem. When they don't see a code in the computer, they are at a loss. The MB dealers are good at greeting us, give us espresso, with leather couch and big screen to watch. That is what you paid your money for! To me, I'd prefer more competent mechanics who can get it right the first time!
..............I couldn't have said this better myself.

..............you are simply wasting your time by taking issues such as vibration to your MB dealer. You need a mechanic. Mechanics don't exist at MB dealerships. Having had this vibrattion issue before, the possibilities that need eliminated include: out of round tires, alignment, engine mounts, transmission mount, steering dampner, wheels that are not hub centric, rims that are a bit bent, under inflated tire on one side, etc

Ted
Old 02-13-2006, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
..............I couldn't have said this better myself.

..............you are simply wasting your time by taking issues such as vibration to your MB dealer. You need a mechanic. Mechanics don't exist at MB dealerships. Having had this vibrattion issue before, the possibilities that need eliminated include: out of round tires, alignment, engine mounts, transmission mount, steering dampner, wheels that are not hub centric, rims that are a bit bent, under inflated tire on one side, etc

Ted
I guess I have no choise but to find a independant mechanic. I hate to pay out of pocket htough when its still under warranty.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:32 AM
Almost a Member!

2005 E320 CDI
No questions these types of issues are very frustrating and people have sold their cars over them. There are so many variables. I had a slight vibration that nearly drove me nuts. I was able to isolate it by first making sure I had a perfect "road force" balance done by a tire shop. Those specialized machines also check your wheels to make sure they are not bent and that the tires are not out of round. After that I still had the vibration and then engaged the dealership. If you search on all these forums under "stearing vibration" you will find that several people have had these issues and many were resolved by the replacement of thrust arm bushings in the front end. I printed it out from the forum and gave to the tech. That was my problem and it drives perfect now. Apparently MB has used some softer bushings that flexed too much causing the vibration.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:38 AM

Received 64 Likes on 36 Posts
1973 280SEL 4.5; 2021 E450S4 Wagon
Originally Posted by martin2k1
I guess I have no choise but to find a independant mechanic. I hate to pay out of pocket htough when its still under warranty.
I wouldn't! Call MBUSA and get a zone rep to look at it!
Old 02-14-2006, 11:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All Diesel Fleet !1983 240d stick,2005 E320 CDI Midnight blue, 2005 E320 CDI, Desert Silver, Kubota
Time to Document Things

No one is more concerned about safety issues than MB. I would document, in a letter to your dealer, the problems that have occurred. I would emphasize that this is primarily a safety issue. I am sure that when the vibration is occurring, you can't really see your instruments and your attention is terribly distracted from operating your vehicle. I am confident that when you give this letter to your MB dealer, he will be moved to action. When and if you were to have an accident because of this, I get 10% for a finder's fee for the best personal injury lawyer in your town!!! When it is in writing, things happen.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:10 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by martin2k1
it is an 03. i had the engine mounts replaced. Its completely dependant on the speed of the car, not engine.
As mentioned, request that the dealer of choice put you in touch with your MBUSA Service and Parts Operations Manager (SPOM). If they refuse, private mail me.

Mention:
P-B-33.15/16a - Steering Wheel Twitch during Brake Application. Actually covers models years ’03 through ’06.

Not sure if this will completely solve your problem nevertheless it’s worth mentioning. Regardless of steering wheel twitch, braking application, etc. referenced in the DTB the original torque strut bushings (hydro-mount or partially hollow rubber) can deform under braking applications. The replacement solid rubber bushings (part # A211 333 11 14) have an increased resilience towards deforming.

Let us now if this solves your problem.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:42 PM
liz

my vibration was caused by a bent rim and "out of round" rotors. the noise (rim) was audible at very slow speeds (idle drive) with the window open. I would hear a thump, thump, thump-almost like having a nail in a bike tire-it was very consistent.lol