E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

w211 vs a6 vs RL vs 530i comparo article

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
I think you will see coolant of transmission fluid actually leak somehow. Though I never had this problem, I can't exactly say. However, a search might reveal the correct information. A member by the name of RJC, a CLK 500 owner, has more information on this.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 ML320; 2005 Audi A6; 2006 Honda Pilot
But why no M-B in the IIHS tests?

Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
While the E may not be the sportiest, it is still the safest. At the end of the day, Safety in my book takes precedent over speed, handling, and looks.
From the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety -
Automakers had opportunity to strive for awards: Earlier this year the Institute alerted automakers about the upcoming Top Safety Pick award and the criteria that would have to be met to earn one. The Institute offered to conduct early tests of any vehicles the manufacturers thought would be candidates for the award. Thus, all current car and minivan models were eligible for consideration. “A number of automakers requested early tests, and based on our discussions with the automakers we believe no other 2006 models would meet our Top Safety Pick criteria,” O’Neill says. A number of major automakers including BMW, Mercedes, Nissan, Toyota, and Volvo aren’t represented in the first set of winners.

Why didn't M-B provide cars for testing?
Old 02-19-2006, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Mercedes does far more serious testing than the Insurance Institute, the Feds or anyone else. I remember when the Feds kept saying the BMW was unsafe because they didn't design their products to do well in full frontal crash tests.

Of course BMW and the Europeans knew that the most likely accident would be a frontal offset crash. When the Insurance Institute started doing frontal offset testing, the Europeans did well while American and Asian products where terrible. Anyone ever see that photo of a Ford F150 buckling in a frontal offset test?
Old 02-19-2006, 12:04 PM
lig

was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4
^^^ To play devil's advocate here... If M-B is *that* much better than everyone else then you think they would completely ace these tests.

Why not send a car - garner top marks and use the awards for marketing purposes?
Old 02-19-2006, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by lig
^^^ To play devil's advocate here... If M-B is *that* much better than everyone else then you think they would completely ace these tests.

Why not send a car - garner top marks and use the awards for marketing purposes?
Because Mercedes does far more comprehensive testing compared to the Insurance Institute and (unlike other manufacturers) do not specifically build cars to look good in the limited tests performed by the Insurance Institute.

Check this out... http://www.whnet.com/4x4/mbcrashtesting.html
Old 02-19-2006, 01:35 PM
lig

Believe me - I have no love for the IIHS. I think Brian O'Neill is the antichrist.

My point is that you would think that the much higher standard M-B strives for would make it a breeze to pass these less realistic but less stringent tests.

M-B would have top honors to brag about and then hammer the point home even further by saying "We don't stop at the minimum - we go far beyond what the government requires"

Last edited by lig; 02-19-2006 at 01:37 PM.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by lig
My point is that you would think that the much higher standard M-B strives for would make it a breeze to pass these less realistic but less stringent tests.
Of course Mercedes will do well on the test but no better than others who focus ONLY on frontal offset testing.

Besides, how many people would buy a Mercedes based on those Insurance Institute tests?

People who buy Mercedes because of safety are generally not as naive as the typical American buyer and know about Mercedes long history of building safe cars.

If this Forum is any indication, the thing that's selling W211's is style.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:39 PM
lig

I must admit that safety was secondary in my decision to get the W211. I always felt safe in the car but it wasn't a primary factor in the end.

A bonus to be sure - but not enough to make a difference.

The look (and the fact that I had never owned an M-B were more important)
Old 02-22-2006, 09:02 PM

2005 e500 Wagon (W211)
Wink

Guys,
I am enjoying the debate. As a new owner of an '05' E500 Wagon 4matic, I believe you guys are referring to it as a W211, I can provide some perspective on the topic. First a few questions: when was the last time you were on a race track? When was the last time you raced someone to 60mph from a standing start? Anyone been on a skid pad lately? For me the answers are never, never, and no. These boy racer guys at CD test everything based on timed performance which does not reflect how I use my car day to day and why I purchased an MB. How about how fatigued one feels after driving a car 500 miles, how about how easy it is to drive smoothly so your passengers are treated to a relaxing enjoyable ride with room for their large behinds, how about accelerating up a grade without having that annoying kickdown and racing engine (thats what 300+ lb.ft of torque provides), how about tooling down the autobahn (or rt 68 heading to WV from DC) at 100+ in the rain with streams running across the road (wide 19"s do great on the skid pad but not in the rain). This is finest automobile I have ever driven for what I use it for. Try driving the M45 on a cement freeway in disrepair, or in the the rain at speed and the choices that the MB engineers have made with this car start to make more sense.

Having said that, I also own an 87 928S4 Porsche and an 87 944 Porsche. Until I got into the W211 I thought the 928 was a great GT car. Sure the 928 will smoke it on the track but give me a twisting unknown road in WV in sport mode and I have just as much fun as in the 928 but I am 10 times more comfortable and so is my wife. You guys made the right decision when you purchased your W211. No buyer's remorse at all here!