E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Do you visit the dealer for a flat tire?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E320, 2004 Lexus GX470
Do you visit the dealer for a flat tire?

Looks like I have a slow to medium leak in my tire. Any thoughts on whether I should visit the dealer or a tire shop (Just Tires, etc.)? Thx.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:15 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
Tire shop. Why pay dealer prices for something that doesn't require dealer expertise? Just make sure that Tires 'Я Us patches the leak from the inside, instead of simply plugging it.

Somebody probably has a good reason for going to the dealer if you have TPMS, but I don't.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 E320
I take mine to Discount Tires Co. They patch from the inside then re-balance all for free! Always get excellent service from any of their chain of repair shops.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
I have not had a flat tire in ages. I am sure I am more than due for one though. I have been driving through construction sites a lot lately and I don't know why I have dodged the inevitable for so long.

However, I would also recommend going to a tire store that has a good local reputation. The only time I have ever spent money at the dealer for something having to do with tires was when I had my summer tires "load balanced." I drive my summer tires on the highway a lot and I personally believe that load balancing is superior to the regular system. If it is available, then I pay for load balancing. However, I have had very good luck with Costco balancing. The employees at my local Costco are actually very nice and know what they are doing. Not to mention, they have been working there for years, so they know me.

There is going to be a Sam's club built two miles from my house, but I seriously doubt I want the employees there to touch my cars. I will have to see how they work on cars and also see what their employee turnover is before I even think about it.

Steve
Old 02-13-2006, 05:23 PM

2003 E-500
Originally Posted by W211 Ryda
I take mine to Discount Tires Co. They patch from the inside then re-balance all for free! Always get excellent service from any of their chain of repair shops.
I also use Discount Tire for repairs and buy my replacement tires from them as well. However, if your car is new and has chromes wheels, there is a possiblity you may have a slow leak at the rim due to rust on the inside of the wheel. This was a problem with an earlier '97 E-320 MB that I had and dealer fixed the problem by removing each tire, cleaning the wheels and putting a special sealant on the rims prior to remounting the tires. I have not heard of this being a problem with our newer models. These wheels that gave me problems were after market shromed upgrades sold by the dealer and not original equipment wheels. I"ve stuck with the OEM wheels on my new cars since then and not had any problems.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Had my flat repaired/remounted/balanced at the STS chain (Somerset Tire Service). They did a proper job.

I also brought them a tire I got from Tirerack.com for installation. Found out later, that they would have shipped the tire directly to them to mount/balance/install, so I guess they're a "reccomended" installer.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:01 PM

2004 E320, 2004 Lexus GX470
Thx a bunch. It's settled. I'll stop by the tire specialty shop and have them do it.

I'm actually relieved I will not have to deal with the prolonged wait at the dealer ...