E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Questions about service items...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 04:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Questions about service items...

My 03 E500 has been displaying Service C for the last little while, and I finally went into the service menu to see what items it is complaining about. It is listing:

Service 3 - 50,000km/2yr - Replace Combo Filter
Service 5 - 100,000km/5yr - Replace Fuel Filter
Service 6 - 100,000km/5yr - Replace Charcoal Filter
Service 7 - 160,000km/5yr - Replace Spark Plugs
Service 13 - Due when displayed
Service 14 - Due when displayed

My car only has 30,000km and is only a little over 3 years old... why would it be complaining about service 5,6,7 when I'm way under the estimated mileage and timeframe? Also, if I were to just buy those items and replaced them myself would the items disappear from the menu by themselves or do I still have to take it in to the dealer?

One last thing is while I was monkeying around in the service menu, I accidentally removed confirmation on a Service 10, but then I re-confirmed it again right away. The "Service C due in 700 kms" message suddenly jumped to "Service C overdue by 9300 kms"

I hope I didn't kill anything... any info/advice would be appreciated!
Old 02-14-2006, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Oy!
Old 02-14-2006, 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Calender time is also a factor with all inspections.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 E63
My dash is telling me that I need C+ service in 3000 miles. I currently only have 9860 on the clock and nearly a year old. It would be lame if I had to replace all those parts in a car that is not even a year old.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:42 PM

If my understanding is correct, your "C" service may not have the same items as mine. You'll have to actually go into the service menu on the car to see what it is complaining about. You must be jamming the brakes pretty hard though because the '+' means it thinks your brake pads are about to go. I don't have the '+' but I do get the annoying squeal coming from the front left tire. I had a friend of mine hoist it up and look at the pads, and they are still around 60-70% so I don't know why the stupid thing is squeaking. We did notice that the front left sensor is a lot closer to the rotor than the other sensors... probably to make us all bring the car in for service early.

I think I'm just going to replace all the filters that it is complaining about even though I'm not at 100,000kms/5yrs, then bring it in to the shop. I'd like to hear how they are going to convince me I need new sparkplugs at 30,000kms or new pads when there's so much left.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
03 E320 -wife's car now; 07 Porsche Boxster S - my toy
Originally Posted by Drazil
.... I think I'm just going to replace all the filters that it is complaining about even though I'm not at 100,000kms/5yrs, then bring it in to the shop. I'd like to hear how they are going to convince me I need new sparkplugs at 30,000kms or new pads when there's so much left.
I have a '03 E320 and my fuel filter is in the fuel tank -- your E500 may be the same. It's strange that your FSS is showing spark plugs. I have 53K miles and FSS is showing "F" service with no spark plugs although I changed them at 50K miles for other reasons. If I remember correctly, the front left brake sensor is the 50% wear sensor and the front right and rear right are for 100% brake wear -- did you also check the rear brakes? The rears, with SBC tend to wear faster than the fronts. Good luck.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:14 PM

Yeah I checked the rear pads too and they were about the same as the fronts which were still pretty thick. So should I just ignore the squeaking and it will go away once that sensor turns to dust, and wait for the sensor on the front right to start squeeking before changing the pads?

I also have an update on the service menu stuffs after playing around a bit more in the menu...

When you first go in, you get to choose from:
SERVICE DATA
ITEMS
SPECIAL WORK
CONFIRMATION

SERVICE DATA just looks like a status overview showing how many days or mileage left until the next service etc. The ITEMS menu was the one that was showing me all those items and there is nothing you can do in this menu. I think this is just showing the items the car is monitoring. SPECIAL WORK showed only a few items that looks like it was performed at the dealership. The last one is probably the only one that matters which is CONFIRMATION.

It has three submenus CONFIRM, CANCEL CONFIRM, CANCEL SINGLE ITEMS.

in the CONFIRM menu, it is listing all the items that the SERVICE 'X' is actually complaining about. Mine only has two items to choose at the moment - STANDARD OIL and OIL GRADE 229.5. so I think it is complaining that all I need is an oil change.

the CANCEL CONFIRM menu lets you just cancel the very last confirmation because I clicked it once before by mistake which made my Service C interval go all nutty (as I mentioned in my first post). I tried doing the cancel confirm, then shutting off the car, start up again and do another cancel confirm but it wouldn't let me do it.

the CANCEL SINGLE ITEMS only had SERVICE 10 in it (that's why I thought this was the cause of the service interval change).

When I went in and chose to confirm the OIL GRADE 229.5, it accepted the confirm, then updated my service to "SERVICE B in 20,300 kms". I went in and did a CANCEL CONFIRM and the service reverted back to "SERVICE C EXCEEDED BY 10300 kms" So I guess in the end I need to do an oil change, then confirm the oil change and it will recalculate the next service interval.