E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

e500 Sport or No Sport

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e500 Sport or No Sport

I am going to buy a 2003 E500 and want to know your thoughts on whether the sports package makes a difference when driving the car. I like the wheels better on the sport package, but if I buy the non-sport I would look to upgrade to E55 AMG wheels. In addition, are there any other features you think are definately worth getting on the car.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:16 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
Check the features of the 2003 Sport Package, as recently posted by Konigstiger, here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/138139-decode-option-package-various-years.html

Of the features in that Sport Package, only the tires, headlights and headlight washers would seem to have a functional effect on how the car drives (and the original tires are probably long gone on an '03). The rest of the Sport Package items are pretty much cosmetic. You may like how they look or you may not, but they won't affect how the car drives.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'07 s550 4matic
yea its prety much cosmetic. personally i wasnt a big fan of the birdseye trim and the front bumper on the sport (felt it looked a cheaper than the stock). Ended up getting a non sport and saved some dough in the process. I do like the rims that come with the sport though.
Old 02-25-2006, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500 Sport, 2004 E500 Wagon
I have both a E500 sedan with the sport package and an E500 4matic wagon standard trim. I actually like the trim in the sport but color combinations make a big difference here.

The 4matic seems to make the greatest difference to me with traction, the larger wheels on the Sport do not impress me, the skins make the most difference unless you are really going to push the car and then again I think it depends on the types of roads. Long, wide sweapers take the bigger wheels. If you have a lot of narrow, tight, bumpy back roads the bigger tires and thin sidewalls just seem to skip more over the bumps.

Short of it, by the sport/appearance for the look not the tire performance. The stock skins only keep it from sliding off the dealer lot before they sell it anyway. Plan on a second set of tires/wheels if you live in the NE anyway, a second set of rims with really good tires is no more expensive than the package anyway.

Good luck.