E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Navigation System Rant

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 03:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All Diesel Fleet !1983 240d stick,2005 E320 CDI Midnight blue, 2005 E320 CDI, Desert Silver, Kubota
Navigation System Rant

Just had an experience with my friends Garmin Nuvi nav system. It is totally portable and just sticks up on the lower windshield. What is impressive about this unit are the capabilities. It displays in the " God's image", ie: from above you can see the streets coming up. All this is in a package the size of a pack of cards. The voice is loud enough to hear clearly and it re-computes quite quickly. Why can't we get an update to our Nav systems to change the display to the above track position and see the streets coming up?
Old 03-01-2006, 06:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500 Sport, 2004 E500 Wagon
Not sure what you mean. My unit does a god's eye view (straight down) and the distance can be varied, I can see whole states coming up or zoom in to see streets/names as they come up.

Do you mean a bird's eye view? A perspective angle? Nice eye candy and I think quite useful in a city, but in rural areas I think I prefer the flat view which gives more coverage (to see alternative routes or where a side street may go) and an accurate relative distance layout.

Personal preference perhaps, yes I would like to have the perspective view as an option to select and would probably use it more for following directions, but for "general use" or "mental mapping" I'm actually finding the flat view more useful. Your mileage may vary. The interface is what I would like to see updated, the TomTom interface is stellar. The MB unit (Becker/Pioneer?) was intuitive enough to figure out w/o the manual but certainly the average buyer would see a huge difference working with it and then having a TomTom dropped into their hands.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 RRS ; BMW K1200R; 14 E350 ; 14 RRS on order
Which Garmin Navi does your friend own?
Old 03-02-2006, 04:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All Diesel Fleet !1983 240d stick,2005 E320 CDI Midnight blue, 2005 E320 CDI, Desert Silver, Kubota
Garmin

My friend owns the Garmin Nuvi. I can't tell you how impressed I was. It is about the size of a pack of playing cards. You just press the mount onto the windshield with a suction cup and then insert the unit. It has a built in antenna. It is fast, has all the bells and whistles. I would get one if I didn't have Nav systems in both my 05's. I think the cost is around $699-899. When he leaves the car, he just pulls the unit off the mount and sticks it in a little pouch, for security reasons. I think it is a wonderful addition to a vehicle that doesn't or can't install the MB nav system.

Last edited by jimbo1mcm; 03-02-2006 at 09:51 AM.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:01 PM

It's a Garmin Nuvi 350. I purchased one for my older cars without navigation.
This is by far the best navigation on the market.
I almost made the mistake of retrofitting a Command unit and getting stuck with the crapp from Navteq.

This small cordless deck of cards puts my CL55s factory navigation to shame.
It's quite embarrassing considering the car costs $120k.

MERCEDES NEEDS TO GET RID OF NAVTEQ.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
I have the Navman i520 in my W210. It's very compact, have rechargable batterry that can last 12 hours of continues use (or simply plug into the lighter..), and is much better than the OEM GPS in my 04 W211.

We talk about all aspects here: touch screen, different viewing angle, street detail, color, detour recalculate, speed (via GPS sensor, not VSS wire likethe W211), estimate arrival time ...

The only thing the GPS is much better than the Navman is that it has larger screen, and integrate nicely with the dash. But in term of functionality, they're not even in the same league.

And the Navman cost $400

Last edited by zam2000; 03-14-2006 at 02:25 PM.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by jimbo1mcm
Just had an experience with my friends Garmin Nuvi nav system. It is totally portable and just sticks up on the lower windshield. What is impressive about this unit are the capabilities. It displays in the " God's image", ie: from above you can see the streets coming up. All this is in a package the size of a pack of cards. The voice is loud enough to hear clearly and it re-computes quite quickly. Why can't we get an update to our Nav systems to change the display to the above track position and see the streets coming up?
The problem with Garmin's is that they escape through the window by breaking the glass and jumping out. Apart from that if you really want God's point of view then get voice control for your Benz.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by zam2000

We talk about all aspects here: touch screen, different viewing angle, street detail, color, detour recalculate, speed (via GPS sensor, not VSS wire likethe W211), estimate arrival time ...
How many of the above features are not in a street directory ?
Old 03-14-2006, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by benzmodz
The problem with Garmin's is that they escape through the window by breaking the glass and jumping out. Apart from that if you really want God's point of view then get voice control for your Benz.
The new 350 Nuvi can fit in your pocket. As long as the unit is out of view you you shouldn't have any problems. I never leave mine in the car.

We all prefer intergrated systems, but the crappy software from Navteq is ridiculous.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:37 PM

'03 E500
Originally Posted by VRCL55
I almost made the mistake of retrofitting a Command unit and getting stuck with the crapp from Navteq.

You know, me too. I'm gettin euro comand and thought i would get the mercedes nav with it but realized that if I want to use the NAV, I have to stop watching my dvd. Plus, it's not touch screen and stuff. Plus, isn't there usb interfaces so you can upgrade the software? I don't want to buy new discs every year or whatever.
So I'm thinking of gettin the garmin or tom tom. any major differences/preferences between the 2?
Old 03-14-2006, 06:21 PM

09 S550
Originally Posted by monstaloc
You know, me too. I'm gettin euro comand and thought i would get the mercedes nav with it but realized that if I want to use the NAV, I have to stop watching my dvd. Plus, it's not touch screen and stuff. Plus, isn't there usb interfaces so you can upgrade the software? I don't want to buy new discs every year or whatever.
So I'm thinking of gettin the garmin or tom tom. any major differences/preferences between the 2?
You do not have to stop watching DVD on euro command with nav.
Nav is a separate drive in the trunk. You can still see all of the directions from the nav on your display next to milage.
And you still hear the voice guiding you.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:47 PM

'03 E500
I did not know that. Thank you for the correction. I thought the NAV stuff showed up on the screen. That's what i was referring to.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by monstaloc
If you decide on getting a portable unit get the Garmin Nuvi 350. You will not regret it. It's by far the best portable unit on the market.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:14 PM

Tesla
I've been playing with a navigation software called iGuidance on my Cingular 8125 pocketPC phone. Paired with a Globalset BT338 bluetooth GPS, this thing is far more accurate than the COMAND nav in my W211. The SirfIII chipset can receive signal from 10-11 satellites at the same time, pretty amazing accuracy even without dead reckoning.

Even the Denso nav in our Toyota is light year ahead of the COMAND. It's pretty sad.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:32 PM
lig

was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4
I rent cars all the time in strange places so I'm leaning towards the Nuvi 360.

http://www.mobilewhack.com/reviews/g...to_travel.html

I love the fact that they are integrating Bluetooth with the unit.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

One with 4 wheels
What happened to good ole MAPS???? Sometimes I think navi's just make people dumber....oh well..............
Old 04-03-2006, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Maps used to be free at any ole' Flying A, Cities Service, Calso, and Esso station... The guy in the cap & bow tie used to bring them right out to ya with the free glass or "win-a-check" game piece after he checked the oil & windshield. Nothing's wrong with them but if you are constantly going to new places you'll go broke buying those spiral bound, plastic coated Road Atlases.

Old 04-03-2006, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW E60 M5 - '08
I totally agree that many other Sat Nav systems are superior to that of MB. However, the MB system is not that bad IMHO. It's been accurate over 90% of the time and the times where it was wrong was because the DVD was not up to date. It does recalculate quickly enough. The map view is clear. Input of address is easy and the voice instructions are very clear. So, as much as I believe MB could have chosen a more sophisticated system, the one that's in our cars work pretty well. Just chill out man, and enjoy the beautiful car you have. The sat nav is just a small part of the vehicle

*now going back to my meditation.......ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmm*
Old 04-06-2006, 07:04 PM

Tesla
Did you know MB subcontracted the design of COMAND to a company called Atari utilizating their latest chipset found in the popular 2600 series?

Check out the latest offering from Japan...
http://response.jp/feature/response/navi_2005guidess/
Old 04-07-2006, 04:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 E55
Originally Posted by VRCL55

This small cordless deck of cards puts my CL55s factory navigation to shame.
It's quite embarrassing considering the car costs $120k.

How does getting rid of navteq solve DCX's navi problem????

In case you don't know, Navteq's map is used on almost all OEM system in US.

Blame mecerdes for poorly designed software. Not navteq. Navteq discs i have on E60 works fine.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:25 PM

Tesla
I think the disc are made with manufacturer specific software utilizing Navteq data. How much data to incorporate or how they are interpreted will depend on the manufacturer. DCX decided to omit tons of stuff compared to other manufactuers. Just the fact that US map can fit in a 4GB DVD-5 tells you it's lacking when compared to others that uses 9GB DVD-9.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:07 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
3 Porsche rotation
Can the current E-class NAV search by phone number? Lexus has this feature and it was very convinient when searching for a store. I played with the NAV in my new E55, although it is better than the previous generation, but I have to agree it is still subpar compare to the competition. Oh well, you can't have it all, and despite the mediocre NAV I still love driving my new car.

John