E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Aftermarket Xenon Fuse Box

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Aftermarket Xenon Fuse Box

I installed aftermarket xenon hids on my E350 but when I first turn on the lights they flicker for 1-2 seconds on startup, after that they run fine. The instructions to the HIDs instruct me to upgrade the fuse to 20amps atleast however I can not find the fuse box for the headlights. I assume that the flickering is done because the lights draw alot of power at the beginning upon warming up and the fuse is what's causing the flickering. Does anyone know where the headlight fuse is? I'm going nuts trying to find it?

HELP!!!!!
Old 03-03-2006, 01:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML 320 CDI
Changing the fuse won't stop the flickering. A fuse will either blow under too much load or wont, simple as that, once it goes you have to change it.
Your problem sounds like a possible ignitor or ballast issue.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:09 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
Originally Posted by marcos
Your problem sounds like a possible ignitor or ballast issue.
no it doesn't - it just sounds like one of those version coding things that hasn't been done...

greetingz,
Old 03-03-2006, 08:51 AM

MBenzNL what do you mean by version coding things?

Also I keep thinking its not the ballast or ignitor because when you turn on the lights without the engine working they work fine. They only flicker upon startup while the engine is running. This is why I figured that maybe if I change the fuse from say 7.5 to 10amps it will fix the problem, however I can't find the damn fuse box for the headlights.

Any other ideas?
Old 03-03-2006, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
"Version Coding" in layman's terms, is sort of like telling the car that it now has BiXenons. Its sort of like installing a new card in your computer... you then have to install or locate the driver for that new card for it to work as it should.

MB makes extensive use of its computer systems to control many many optional things, things that may be available in one part of the world, but not in another, as specified by that country's authorized importer/distributor, and how your car's features work based on the options you ordered when it was built.

To "zoom in' on your question, version coding tells the car exactly what options it has & how they should work in your given sales market. Thats why as you scroll thru "settings" there are NO menu choices for options that are not present on your particular car... the car "knows", or has been version coded, that those options are not present on your vehicle.

What MBENZNL is saying is that it sounds as if your car still has its OLD version coding so it "thinks" it has standard headlights, and it doesn't know you swapped them out, so the computer system is handling the electrical demands of the new lights with the electrical allocation of the standard lights, which the car still thinks are in the car.

Whew.....
Old 03-03-2006, 01:08 PM

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts
'07 GL450
Ok, Barry.. now sit down and breath slowly.. .. attaboy...
Old 03-05-2006, 02:13 PM

I took the car to the dealer and the xenons now work without a problem. Thanks everyone.