MB Interiors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2002, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500
MB Interiors

Hey everyone,

I'd like to give you my view of Mercedes interiors and hear what you think. On many forums MB has been criticized for there interiors so I did a little research.

Where's the wood? is something I constantly hear, so I went back and looked at photos/actual cars including the W140, W220,W124,W210, and W211. From what I can see MB has been consistant with there usage of wood, tasteful. Not to little
(BMW 3) not to much (RR).

I really didn't see/feel a difference in the quality of leather, and of course the Nappa and AMG leathers are wonderful. As for the comfort of the seats, I for one think MB seats are one of the most comfortable in the industry. Obviously this varies person to person, therefore I rarely comment on seat comfort.

The reason many think MB has lost it's interior quality is due to the over use of plastics on the dash and center console. This I do agree with and think MB has fallen. But consider this, wouldn't it be wise for MB to offer a 'leather package' for the dash and center console on ALL of its models? Much like the S600, have some type of leather or leather like material covering the dash and center console.

As for MB loosing their 'vault like' feel, almost everyone who has driven in my car, from BMW to Lexus to Honda and Cadillac, make comments such as "well Built" "tight" "quiet" and "solid" to describe my car. Yes, all manufacturers are using lighter weight materials and cars are getting lighter and more nimble but having driven many other cars I can honestly say MB is one of, if not the most solidly built cars.

Lastly, when growing up I use to read articles on how MB designs were boring, uninspiring and designed for the wealthy, stuffy type. So in responce, they have come out with some of the most fresh, modern yet elegant designs in their history. The critics response has been "they look like every other car" and they've become to plebian. Damned if they do and damned if they don't. I hope they continue on there current trend, I love there there designs.

I'm not saying MB makes the perfect car or that there quality hasn't slipped a bit, but clearly they are addressing these issues and still build one of the best cars you can buy.

Last edited by MBZman; 08-07-2002 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-07-2002, 05:55 PM

You make a lot of good points.

I agree that Benz should offer a "leather dash package" on all models from the C Class onwards,and maybe change it slightly just for the AMG versions.

On design,I think the S and new E Classes are the best looking saloons on the road bar none.I just hope they maintain this current design trend for a while and don't get too radical like BMW at the moment.
Many people like the fact that they are a little more conservative and less radical then others.There evolutionary designs have done well for them in the past while still remaining "cutting edge".
Old 08-08-2002, 12:04 AM

The plastic knobs and switches which have been used in recent years are what really bother me.
And the plastic red triangle (hazard light switch) in the center of the dash is a real attention getter. But not in a good way.
It can't be THAT much more expensive to use better knob/switch materials, can it?
The AMG seats are among the best in the auto business, including leather quality, customization potential, and comfort.
But those switches drive me crazy.
Old 08-08-2002, 12:29 PM

SL500
amg55, I agree with the Knobs/switches being cheap, they should address this which I'm hoping they have in there next generation of cars. From what I've read VW has some of the best in the business. On the other hand, I've been in both BMW and Lexus and have not been impressed. My Brother has driven a couple of Lexus cars and let me tell you, there supposed rock solid, high quality interiors don't hold up to the test of time. I'm not saying there cheap but there not as great as certain individuals/editors want you to believe.
Old 08-09-2002, 12:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
I like the design of my 2002 CLK55 AMG, including the looks of the "positive toggle switches", that's why I bought it and enthusiastically proclaim:

The 2002 CLK55 AMG is the best car ever produced since Karl Benz patented the world's first motorcar in 1886, registered his patent DRP 37435, which is considered as the official birth certificate of the first motor car!
Old 08-11-2002, 07:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1963 220Sb
apparently the plastuc controls in the new E are up to par and are of high quality back to the old MB! I guess we shall see!