Window Tinting Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 01:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 ML350 BlueTec
Question Window Tinting Help

Hello,

Before the hot summer season hits, I wanted to get my windows tinted to help reduce the sun damage on the leather interior. After I started looking into tinting the car I found way more options than I thought possible. I live in NJ, and the local laws restrict any tinting on the front side windows, but unlimited tinting options on the back sides and rear.

I wanted to put a very light tint on the front side windows, I know it's illegal. I had a few questions for everyone...

1. What color tint would look best on a 2006 E320 CDI in Pewter? Should I stick with the gray or should I try something in the bronze, silver, charcoal or smoke?
2. What level of darkness should I put on the back windows? Will it look funny having the rear tinted dark and the front hardly tinted?
3. Has anyone tried tinting their windows themselves? Anyone try SnapTint.com?
4. How much should a quality tinting job cost?

Thanks in advanced!

Anyone have any pics???

Last edited by russdog; 03-29-2006 at 01:40 PM.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL500
Originally Posted by russdog
Hello,

Before the hot summer season hits, I wanted to get my windows tinted to help reduce the sun damage on the leather interior. After I started looking into tinting the car I found way more options than I thought possible. I live in NJ, and the local laws restrict any tinting on the front side windows, but unlimited tinting options on the back sides and rear.

I wanted to put a very light tint on the front side windows, I know it's illegal. I had a few questions for everyone...

1. What color tint would look best on a 2006 E320 CDI in Pewter? Should I stick with the gray or should I try something in the bronze, silver, charcoal or smoke?
2. What level of darkness should I put on the back windows? Will it look funny having the rear tinted dark and the front hardly tinted?

Thanks in advanced!

Anyone have any pics???
just a quick few questions before i answer yours:

1) in nj, to get your car inspected do you have to go to a dmv to get it inspected or can you just go a gas station or where ever like in ny?

2) what color is your interior?
Old 03-29-2006, 01:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
sold - w211 e320, f250, rx7 race car
Paid $150 total, front, side and back windows, 35% grey. Lifetime warranty. Personally I think it looks odd with different tint shades on the car (different back and side vs. front %)
Attached Thumbnails Window Tinting Help-pict0166ajpg.jpg  
Old 03-29-2006, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 E320, '07 MDX
I also have a pewter 211 and live in a state where front side tints are not legal.

I had to decide between being legal or having the car look nice. I chose having the car look nice by having dark tint all around. I'm happy I had it done this way as the car is much cooler inside and feels more relaxed inside since it's noticeably darker. IMO it looks odd having dark rear and rear sides mixed with light front sides. I think your car, especially with a pano roof, would look nice in dark tint all around.

You'll have to consider how law enforcement is handled in your area. In my area, unless you drive around attracting unwanted attention, I don't think you'll get pulled over strictly for having window tint.

I paid around $300 to have it done. It took an experienced professional more than 4 hours to do it. Unless you have the experience, the materials, and tools, I would not try doing it myself.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
Did you guys get your FRONT WINDSHIELD tinted as well? I'm due to get the Huper Optik tint in 2 weeks and want to know what every one else got? Would it look weird if I go with 40% sides and back and no tinting of the front windshield? Thanks.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 E320
Originally Posted by russdog
Hello,

Thanks in advanced!

Anyone have any pics???

1) I would get a nice charcoal colored tint for a lil contrast. IMO, bronze and silver tint belong on residential windows or buildings.

2) Since you want to keep the fronts tinted lightly…I would get 20% in the back and 35% up front. The perfect set up would be 20% all around, but that’s just my opinion.

3) I used to tint cars as a side job and I highly suggest you leave this to the pros, especially if you have never tinted a car before. You could do more damage than good.

4) This depends on your area, warranty they’ll provide, workmanship, and the quality/brand of film they’ll use. I’ve seen some jobs range from $150 - $500
Old 03-29-2006, 03:29 PM

2005 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by Kev04C320
Did you guys get your FRONT WINDSHIELD tinted as well? I'm due to get the Huper Optik tint in 2 weeks and want to know what every one else got? Would it look weird if I go with 40% sides and back and no tinting of the front windshield? Thanks.
I have the Huper Optik 40% on the sides and back and I'm pleased with its performance. HO also makes a clear film which offers IR and UV reduction and can be put on the windshield. I've been toying with the idea of doing it. Most states prohibit any tinting of the windshield except for the band at the top. I wouldn't want to put a dark film on my windshield for fear of attracting too much attention from the police.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:11 PM

'03 E500
Originally Posted by mbuskuhl
Paid $150 total, front, side and back windows, 35% grey. Lifetime warranty. Personally I think it looks odd with different tint shades on the car (different back and side vs. front %)
i agree. don't get mix matched colors. imho, it looks like you are trying not to break the law. rahter "break it fully" by going dark all around or not put any at all.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
[QUOTE=BklynBenz]just a quick few questions before i answer yours:

1) in nj, to get your car inspected do you have to go to a dmv to get it inspected or can you just go a gas station or where ever like in ny?
QUOTE]

In NJ you can take to a "private inspection" station.It may require a $50.00 to disregard the tint job.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:21 PM

2010 E63
Tint all around except windshield. $200.00 for the while thing. I think it looks much better and the inside is dark without causing problems at night.

SK

03 E500 Sport.
Attached Thumbnails Window Tinting Help-skbenz-before-tint.jpg   Window Tinting Help-skbenz-after-tint.jpg   Window Tinting Help-skbenz-after-tint-2.jpg  
Old 03-29-2006, 08:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
which tint is that? I like the way it looks, still shows the factory Avantgarde blue tint
Old 03-29-2006, 08:43 PM

2010 E63
Ziebart second level. Not sure what number. Maybe 30%. These pictures were taken on a super sunny day. The E is in the shop for 3 days now. Missing it. Warranty and maintenance work should be back tomorrow. We are driving a loaner C230. Not bad, but noticably smaller and less powerful.

SK

03 E500 Sport
Old 03-30-2006, 02:50 PM

2014 ML350 BlueTec
Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the info! The pictures are a huge help! I think I am going to go with the same tint all the way around (except the windshield).

Now just the % I need to work on. Should I go with 35%, or something lighhter?
Old 03-30-2006, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL500
if youre concerned about what to get and have a light interior i would say go 20% if you have a dark interior go with 35%.

right now on my clk i have dark interior with 20% and you cant even see in the windows (which i like but thats me)
Old 03-30-2006, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL500
also heres pics of my friend fazooleys old pewter e500 with 35% and charcoal interior

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/75171-steve-mbenznl-yes-he-man.html
Old 03-31-2006, 09:59 AM

2014 ML350 BlueTec
Does anyone know what % tint the Pano Roof is? Should I try to match that so the entire top is one continuous section?

BklynBenz, Thanks for all the info! my interior is Charcoal.

Thanks everyone!