COMAND Issues on E320. . . argghh

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E320
COMAND Issues on E320. . . argghh

hi all,

i have an 03 E320 with about 60k miles. so for the last couple days my comand unit has been really acting up. It turns on ok and after about 10 seconds working fine it freezes for a variable length of time. Depending on the functionality i am using, it displays the the ff symptoms:

- if i am playing audio i.e. cd, radio or aux, i lose volume.
- if i am playing dvd the picture frame freezes and i lose volume also
- if i am using nav, it says navigation device unavailable, and then flickers between the nav and audio screens.

when the freeze ends, everything returns to working as is. this happens intermittently ranging from every minute to every 3 minutes or so. REALLY frustrating.

anyone have this issue? and what was the solution.

any help appreciated.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its big and Grey!
Ill sell you my 2006 Command unit. PM me if your interested.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
03's didn't come from the factory with comand, CD, and definatly not DVD compatable so yours was obviously retrofitted by you or someone else???

I don't think theres going to be much help for you here. Try looking up your installer.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
For general COMAND problems, I suggest pulling fuse 6 in the trunk, leaving it out for about 30 or so seconds, then putting it back in. In both my friends 03 and my 04 this has cured random problems with the COMAND. If that doesn't work, it is dealer time.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:42 AM

2003 E320
Originally Posted by HELL ONA HARLEY
03's didn't come from the factory with comand, CD, and definatly not DVD compatable so yours was obviously retrofitted by you or someone else???

I don't think theres going to be much help for you here. Try looking up your installer.
mine definitely did come with all that. i have one of the "replacement" E320s that have the Euro headunit.

i tried the fuse 006 thing last night and it didnt help. i may not have kept it out long enough. anyway, i have it in to the dealer this morning, so we'll see how it goes.

wish me luck
Old 03-31-2006, 07:46 PM

2003 E320
Update ...

so i had the car in at the dealership all day today and all i can say is WOW.

Sears Auto Import is one of the best dealerships around. Bill Blume is the man. My car got fixed, everything is working perfect, i even think they threw in a few more horses...

they also fixed the recall stuff and even did a couple other things for me. And it all came to zero point zero zero ... nada ... zilch. they even gave me all software updates till date.

I know i have the extended warranty, but for some reason after that other stealership (anyone in Minnesota ... avoid Feldmans like a plague) charged me $117 and did nothing, I figured it would cost an arm and a leg ...

anyway, this is what they did to fix my problem:

- replace audio gateway
- software updates.

works like a charm