E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

brake fluid

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E270cdi
Exclamation brake fluid

Going through the forum, one notices the immense concern about the SBC system installed on our W211. And this concern probably got worse after the recalls for software updates and earth link installation. I must admit though that the braking systemis quite good for the car.

I live in Malta ( for those of you wondering where this is, it's just a tiny island in the middle of the mediterranean sea) and we also had these recalls. After all this, many are afraid to fix or service anything that has to do with the braking system.

I would like to find a very detailed description on how to change the brake fluid and even how to bleed the system, just in case air gets in the system while changing the fluid.

Many thanks for your help.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
03 E320 -wife's car now; 07 Porsche Boxster S - my toy
malta,
In order to flush/bleed the brake fluid from the W211 with SBC braking, you will need to exercise the SBC unit using the MB Star Diags unit which none of us own because they cost around $20K.

Bring it to the dealer or independent shop to do the work. There is a tool that a Taiwan company makes for $500 + shipping that will just disable/enable/exercise the SBC for bleeding and/or brake repairs.

I have a demo video of them. Send me a PM for further info. This is not an advertisement for the tool -- I've just already researched this issue out.

Regards,
Paul...
Old 04-05-2006, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E270cdi
After more research, I found out that Ate do a special tool to get this brakes job done. Part number ATE SBS 03.9301-0040.4/02

Will be great if anyone can get a price for this tool.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
03 E320 -wife's car now; 07 Porsche Boxster S - my toy
This tool won't help you bleed brakes

Originally Posted by malta
After more research, I found out that Ate do a special tool to get this brakes job done. Part number ATE SBS 03.9301-0040.4/02

Hi Malta,

I went to the ATE website to check out the tool you referenced. It appears that this tool will only enable/disable the SBC (which is good for rotor/pad replacement), but doesn't "exercise" the SBC during a brake bleeding operation, which is required.

So far, it looks like you're stuck with that $500USD ICM tool. By the way, I never asked ICM what the cost was for shipping to the US -- the $500 cost immediately turned me off! I would have bought one if it was $250, though.

By the way, ATE and Pentosin are two very good brake fluids with ATE having DOT 5.1 properties. The MB requires DOT 4+ brake fluid. Do not use DOT 5 as this is silicone-based fluid and not suitable for our cars.

Regards,
Paul...
Old 05-04-2006, 02:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
**SOLD***2003 E500
Found out a price for the tool.

Originally Posted by malta

I can get the tool for USD$250.00 each. The only thing that bothers me is that I am being told it is only good for 2003 and 2004 E and SL models.

Randy B