E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Intermittent Roof Void Noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intermittent Roof Void Noise

This is my first post after lurking for several months - hello!

Has anyone had any experience of an intermittent rattling/vibration noise from the roof void above the drivers visor/above the rear view mirror.

This odd noise occurs at various speeds over various road surfaces in my September 2002 E240. I've searched this site but have been unable to find any matching postings. * I did find a fantastic posting that advised how to stop the annoying front seat creaking noise! :o) *

I initially thought that the noise was from the large vent/speaker in the centre console but after many hours of motorway driving where I pressed various panels and cranked my head in various directions to listen to the noise I've determined (I think) that the noise is from the roof void.

Opening and slamming shut the visor appears to stop the noise and after some investigation my best guess at the culprit is the flat cable that connects either the vanity light or something else in the roof void around or near to the rear view mirror.

I'd appreciate any comments or validation that my hunch is correct as I'm starting to develop a obsessive fixation with trying to resolve this niggle. :o)

Many thanks.