E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Changing transmission and rear diff fluids on 2003 E500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 06:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Changing transmission and rear diff fluids on 2003 E500

Has anyone changed the diff and tranny fluids on their E yet? I was told that you can't drain all the fluid out of the transmission because there is no drain plug for the torque converter. How much fluid should I expect to come out and how much should I put in. Also, how much fluid do I need for the differential. Thanks a lot for the help and advice.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
**SOLD***2003 E500
I didi it when I hit 50K

Originally Posted by Frank Wiesmann
Has anyone changed the diff and tranny fluids on their E yet? I was told that you can't drain all the fluid out of the transmission because there is no drain plug for the torque converter. How much fluid should I expect to come out and how much should I put in. Also, how much fluid do I need for the differential. Thanks a lot for the help and advice.

Frank, I used an electric flush machine that connects to the tranny where the Trans cooler is. Basically I flushed fifteen quarts through the transmission. The color looked much better when I was done, and I was happy with knowing it was completed.

I did not touch the rear diff though.

Randy B
Old 04-22-2006, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 CLS550 Designo; 2009 Mini Cooper; 2011 BMW 335d
Don't you have free manteinance?
Old 04-23-2006, 02:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All Diesel Fleet !1983 240d stick,2005 E320 CDI Midnight blue, 2005 E320 CDI, Desert Silver, Kubota
Transmission Fluid Draining

After reading everything on this site and others, here is what I have determined about changing the fluid in my '05 CDI:

1. It is probably a very good practice to change the fluid every 30,000 miles.

2. The pan should be dropped, and the magnet examined for any large shavings.

3. The filter should be replaced.

4. Only MB fluid, designated for your type and model of transmission should be used.

5. Here is where it starts to get tricky. You can have the pan dropped and examined, but you are only going to get a small amount of fluid out. The rest of the old fluid is trapped in the torque converter, tranny cooler, and the lines.( from about 99, the torque converter is sealed). So how do you get the fluid out? There are a couple of different type of machines:

a. Cooler line flush machine -
( this is courtesy of www.gadgetonline.com/transflush.htm). This type of machine connects into the transmission cooler lines. BG makes this type. The engine is started and the transmission pump pushes the fluid through the BG machine where it is replaced with new fluid. The problem with this machine is that not all fluid goes to the cooler. Some is bypassed back to the tranny, so it really doesn't remove ALL the fluid, but it is much better than just draining the pan. Some mechanics tout this as not having to drop the pan. That sounds like a bad idea.

b. Pump Inlet Flush Machine -

This kind attaches to the pump intake after the pan and filter are removed. This machine only supplies new fluid to the pump intake and as the fluid passes through the transmission, it dumps out to a collection tray and never goes back through the tranny. After the service, the pan and filter are replaced and it is topped off to the correct level.

I want this service done at only a Benz dealer. However, according to various forums, 99.5% of Benz dealers will not, or cannot do this type of service.

So has anyone had this done at a Benz dealer? I would like to call that dealer and find out what type of machine they have. I plan on asking my dealer to do this type of service next week, but I am not optimistic.

Last edited by jimbo1mcm; 04-23-2006 at 03:56 AM.