E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

A/C Noise??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 12:08 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C Noise??

For some reason, i hear a low high pitch whinning noise when the a/c is on. Anyone has the same problem?? Solutions??
Old 05-08-2006, 12:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Originally Posted by BLACK06E350
For some reason, i hear a low high pitch whinning noise when the a/c is on. Anyone has the same problem?? Solutions??
Is the fan on the highest setting when you hear it????
Mine sounds like a turbo prop airplane on the high setting and is considered quite normal... At all other settings I hear nothing (in the car that is)...
Old 05-08-2006, 04:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C300 Avantgarde
make sure u check that all the other vents are fully opened. I find that when one of the vents have been partially closed, the air distribution/ flow is disrupted in the other vents and can cause this type of high pitch whining noise.

Originally Posted by BLACK06E350
Old 05-08-2006, 09:07 AM

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts
'07 GL450
I've been trying to get rid of that whining noise for quite some time. Last time I took her in, the dealer replaced some components.

When I got her back everything was ok.. for a while. Then the whining came back, and brought a friend. Now I have the whining and an intermittent, pulsating, mechanical flutter, kinda sounds like:

....mmmmmMMMMMMMmmmmmmMMMMMMMMMMM.... [pause] ....mmmmmMMMMMMMmmmmmmMMMMMMMMMMM.... [pause] ....mmmmmMMMMMMMmmmmmmMMMMMMMMMMM.... [pause] ....mmmmmMMMMMMMmmmmmmMMMMMMMMMMM....

(pardon my creative use of the letter "m")

We'll see what happens next time I take her in (soon).
Old 05-17-2006, 09:36 PM

2003 E320
I just got my used '03 E320 last night and noticed a noise/hum when the fan is on the lowest setting. At first I thought it was the radio picking up the spark plugs, as the pitch increased and decreased with the engine rpm. But, I switched off the fan and the noise stopped. Turned the hvac fan back on and the noise was audible at the 2 lowest settings, but stopped at higher settings. Today (day #2 of new ownership), and the AC wouldn't blow cold on the driver side; passenger side was freezing cold. After about 10 minutes, the AC unit shut itself off (AC-off lites up). Now I can't turn it on again; when I press the "AC-off" switch, it blinks 3 times and stays red (off). Any comparable experiences? Great driving car, but I'd like to have the AC work.

BTW, lease vehicle, just out of warranty with 55k miles.

Thx,
RS