Brand New After Market 19' Rim/Tire Vibration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 12:06 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500, SL500
Brand New After Market 19' Rim/Tire Vibration

Has anyone have any Idea what my problem could be. I purchased a set of new 19' rims for my E500. Two 19x8.5 with 235/35/19 Hankook tires and Two 19X9.5 with 265/30/19 tires ballanced.

I installed the rims, including the hub rings and got major vibration at 40 mph and up so I took it to the MB dealership and they told me that all 4 wheel were wayyyyyyy off balance, so they re-balanced the wheels.

Took it for a test spin and got a little less vibration at 40mph but still have lots of vibration.

I contacted the company that sold me the wheels and they told me the following:
------------------------------------------------------------------
"I got the voicemail and I kind of figured that on a Mercedes when you
ship the product if they are not careful on the wheels they throw it off of
balance and your vehicle requires a bolt instead of a lug nut so it is
more sensitive. If you had a vehicle that required a lug nut it would not
have shook but the balance would have still been off. Also the wheel is brand new and the tire might have to be shifted about 33% to make the wheel true, What happens it when they make the wheel out of different composites the wheel has light spots as well as heavy spots, due
to this you will never get a true exact balance on the wheel, If you
take the wheel to a wheel shop instead of the dealer the will be able to
shift the tire 33% and re-balance it so it will come out true. Or if you would
like you can have the tire taken off and ship back the wheel for a
warranty adjustment as weal. It will take about 2-3 days to get the new wheel once the approve the old wheel and then I will ship it out to you but I need to see your wheel first and have wheel manufactor inspect the product."
--------------------------------------------------------------------
OK, WTF????????????????

Now this is what MB dealer said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can try that. It requires the use of what's called a "road force machine". A tire shop can do that. We can do it 2 but your looking at $210.00 (basically 2 hours of labor) a tire shop would charge much less. Try giving them a call but they are telling you the truth. It's just not a very common problem."

"I could re-check them but it won't do much good. Our machine is computerized, if it were wrong we would have a whole bunch of cars come back that day with vibrations. It gets calibrated every morning. I doubt it would do any good. The problem could be with the wheels or the tires. There is really no telling without putting it on the road force machine. One tire that is not perfectly round can give a vibration as well, every time the flat spot hits the ground you feel it through the car. Or like they said it could be imperfections in the wheel."
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Help??????
Old 05-10-2006, 12:20 PM

'03 E500 sport
Same prob

I had the same problem. They rebalanced the rims, checked the aligment... Finally i had bent rim!!! they tried to blame it on me, but i only drove 2 miles on the new rims and DID NOT hit any potholes. So i got a new front rim and the vibration was gone.
But in the end, I have lowenhart LD5 rims and they SUCK. They bend VERY VERY easily. They look great, but what a waste of 5k...
Well G-luck
Old 05-10-2006, 02:20 PM
Almost a Member!

E500, SL500
Damnnnnn, thanks Bobby

Originally Posted by Bobby E5
I had the same problem. They rebalanced the rims, checked the aligment... Finally i had bent rim!!! they tried to blame it on me, but i only drove 2 miles on the new rims and DID NOT hit any potholes. So i got a new front rim and the vibration was gone.
But in the end, I have lowenhart LD5 rims and they SUCK. They bend VERY VERY easily. They look great, but what a waste of 5k...
Well G-luck
Funny you said that, the MB dealership said one of the rims was bent but passed the "run out" test, whatever that is and I never even drove on the damn rims, they are brand new unless, it was bent durring shipment?????????????????????

thanks Bobby.....
Old 05-10-2006, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S6 LP640 E500
What brand of wheels and tires are they?
Old 05-10-2006, 06:33 PM
Almost a Member!

E500, SL500
Tire & rim make and model....

Originally Posted by jta00r1
What brand of wheels and tires are they?
Gianelle : V-5 B Split Cap staggered with:

Front: 19x8.5 with 235/35/19 Hankook tires
Rear: 19X9.5 with 265/30/19 Hankook tires
Attached Thumbnails Brand New After Market 19' Rim/Tire Vibration-gianelle-wheels-v-5-b-split-cap.jpg  
Old 05-10-2006, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S6 LP640 E500
I am not surprised, I have dealt with Giavanna products before and they seem to always have problems getting them to get hubcentric or some type of vibe problem. Getting them to help with your problem after the sale is difficult too, I raised hell for a customer that put 25's on a H2 and did'nt even get hub rings (had to pay extra for) you think $8500.00 would come with them. Argued with all the top dudes even the president (diko was his name) but they blamed the vehicle not their product. Finally took the wheels to a machine shop to have them correct and true them. Bottom line is even though they make nice looking wheels would not buy from them again. Just my experience.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:53 PM
Almost a Member!

E500, SL500
damnnnnn

Thanks for the reply, that sucks I am feeling the pain now myself and getting the run around!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by jta00r1
I am not surprised, I have dealt with Giavanna products before and they seem to always have problems getting them to get hubcentric or some type of vibe problem. Getting them to help with your problem after the sale is difficult too, I raised hell for a customer that put 25's on a H2 and did'nt even get hub rings (had to pay extra for) you think $8500.00 would come with them. Argued with all the top dudes even the president (diko was his name) but they blamed the vehicle not their product. Finally took the wheels to a machine shop to have them correct and true them. Bottom line is even though they make nice looking wheels would not buy from them again. Just my experience.