E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Weird CD player problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 E500
Weird CD player problem

Recently I had noticed sometimes when playing CDs the Track number is missing on the command screen and I am unable to change tracks, the only solution I found is to change to another disc and back then the track will appear again.

All the cds I have in the car are all burned CDRs maybe they have something to do with this strange beheavior? Then again they play perfectly fine, they do not skip or have any scratches on them.
Old 05-14-2006, 10:44 AM

'05 E320 CDI, '07 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2007 Porsche GT3
What you describe would happen if you'd inadvertently burned a CD as one big track, without splitting it into separate trackes for each song. The fact that some CDs do this while others don't suggests this is probably the case.

Try playing one of the "bad" CDs in another player and see if they behave the same.
Old 05-14-2006, 12:04 PM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
I have had this happen although I was able to change tracks. It took about 10 min and then the track names came up (MP3 disc). It was like it was spending that time reading the disc title names.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:17 AM

03 E500
Khaug - The thing is, those CD R have been in the car for almost a year without any problems until recently. I have also burned it on good medias, I am thinking the culprit is the long term heat that is wearing out those CDs.

Update : I couldn't get the disappearing track number to happen again, I had tried turning off the car while the stereo is on, turning off stereo before shuting down the car, turning stereo on and off repeatedly...I am hoping this is just a glitch and won't happen again.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:53 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
2003 E500, 2004 G35X
Originally Posted by Dvinn
Khaug - The thing is, those CD R have been in the car for almost a year without any problems until recently. I have also burned it on good medias, I am thinking the culprit is the long term heat that is wearing out those CDs.

Update : I couldn't get the disappearing track number to happen again, I had tried turning off the car while the stereo is on, turning off stereo before shuting down the car, turning stereo on and off repeatedly...I am hoping this is just a glitch and won't happen again.
I had a similar problem a while back and finally the CD was stuck in the unit(I don't have a changer) and refused to eject. I took it to the dealer and they changed the control module for me and told me it was NOT an unusual problem. My car is the same year as yours. I suggest that you take it to the dealer and get the control unit replaced under warranty before your CD gets stuck in it. Hell, I am still waiting for MB to return my CD Call the dealer serveral times to no avail!