E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Warranty Expiring Soon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 02:01 PM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2021 GLE 450
Question Warranty Expiring Soon

My car warranty is expiring soon as my E is getting close to 50k miles. I did purchase an extended warranty from my dealer, but I don't believe the extended warranty covers scheduled service calls as covered on original warranty (?). I was wondering if it would be a good idea to schedule getting some items done now before original warranty expires. For example, the COMAND Nav update to allow playing MP3 in single DVD slot, etc.. Thanks for any advice!
Old 05-19-2006, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E-500
I would check Konigster's excellent Sticky Post on Service Campaigns at the top of this board and note all that apply to your VIN. Hopefully, you will have a good realtionship with one of the Service Managers at your dealer by now. Talk to that individual and point out any TSB's you think should be done on your car and then ask for their advice on what else might be likely to fail. IF you have a good relationship. they will tell you about things that they should probably do and ask you questions, such as "Does it have any jerky shift points?" I had this occur with a previous E-320 at about 45K miles, and got a transmission overhaul, a new fuel gauge and a couple other things that "might go bad in the future" done. That car ran well until I traded it in three years later. I also wrote a nice letter to General Manager of the dealer complimenting my Service Advisor and have bought two other new cars from them.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:53 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by Double Eagle
I would check Konigster's excellent Sticky Post on Service Campaigns at the top of this board and note all that apply to your VIN. Hopefully, you will have a good realtionship with one of the Service Managers at your dealer by now. Talk to that individual and point out any TSB's you think should be done on your car and then ask for their advice on what else might be likely to fail. IF you have a good relationship. they will tell you about things that they should probably do and ask you questions, such as "Does it have any jerky shift points?" I had this occur with a previous E-320 at about 45K miles, and got a transmission overhaul, a new fuel gauge and a couple other things that "might go bad in the future" done. That car ran well until I traded it in three years later. I also wrote a nice letter to General Manager of the dealer complimenting my Service Advisor and have bought two other new cars from them.
all service campaigns are warrantied for the life of the vehicle, so no worries on those, take it in and ANYTHING that is loose, funny looking, wobbly or whatever in the interior complain about it and it might get fixed might not under warranty, 211 are notorious for having A/C leaks at the receiver drier, (if you open hood and look betweein the bumper and a/c condenser is the little silver canister thing at the bottong with two hard aluminum lines going into it) if those lines are black or turning black most likely those o rings are starting to go, so complaint about the a/c not cooling.
check to see if your rear a/c vents are always hot, or maybe just complain anyways, theres a heater valve that goes bad on 211 that causes that, if you had to do it customer pay it will be like 3 or 3.5 hours of labor + parts

check to see if your shifter seems a little loose or have any play in it shifter bushngs usually dont go bad until like 8-100k tho so your ok on that
see if you can get a warranty brake fluid and coolant service
make sure your sun visor flaps that cover the mirros are not loose if they are complain
GET YOUR BATTERY CHECKED BEFORE IT GOES OUT OF WARRANTY!!!!! they are expensive
make sure your keyless entry works from upclose (infrared) and far away (radio frequency), both keys
cant think of anything else, hope that helps
Old 05-19-2006, 06:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by Thrillhouse
all service campaigns are warrantied for the life of the vehicle, so no worries on those - make sure your sun visor flaps that cover the mirros are not loose if they are complain
Actually they're covered: P-B-68.60/37d FEB06 Sun Visor Mirror Cover Broken, Models 210, 211, 215 (as of 2003), 220 (as of 2003), and 230. Replaces the vanity mirror cassette.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:25 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by konigstiger
Actually they're covered: P-B-68.60/37d FEB06 Sun Visor Mirror Cover Broken, Models 210, 211, 215 (as of 2003), 220 (as of 2003), and 230. Replaces the vanity mirror cassette.
Is that a campaign recall or dtb, dtbs are NOT covered for the life of the vehicle only service recall campaings
Old 05-19-2006, 06:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Is that a campaign recall or dtb, dtbs are NOT covered for the life of the vehicle only service recall campaings
STAR TekInfo: DTB (Dealer Technical Bulletin) - diagnostic doc released due to a repair/diagnostic condition.

It is my opinion that an argument could be made to the MBUSA SPOM in this particular instance whereas MBUSA acknowledged a problem and married a remedy to it covering vehicles back to 1999 yet the actual document is dated FEB06 (initial release JAN05).
Old 05-19-2006, 06:57 PM
Almost a Member!

DTbs are not covered under warranty, its not the dealership its benz, they will basically say, things break we are just telling you how to fix it. Basically the recalls are safety related items so they will always be covered, thats why I told him to complain about certain things
Old 05-19-2006, 07:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
DTbs are not covered under warranty, its not the dealership its benz, they will basically say, things break we are just telling you how to fix it. Basically the recalls are safety related items so they will always be covered, thats why I told him to complain about certain things
I don’t disagree technically recalls are overseen by the government whereas DTBs are not. And of course it’s not the dealer but rather the documents are, in fact, issued by MBUSA and this why I specifically mentioned the MBUSA Service and Operations Manager (SPOM) – MBUSA’s local representative. More so I’m simply saying an argument can be made under certain circumstances. And DTBs are most certainly covered under warranty and always contain an “In Case of Warranty” clause recommending damage codes, allowable labor operation numbers, and labor times.