Do I need to Be "Re Flashed"?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Do I need to Be "Re Flashed"?

1. My Navi drive died in the trunk, and as a result there was no radio, no phone, no single slot CD or CD changer function... nothing audio related worked.

2. They replaced my trunk mounted DVD Navi Drive but forgot to give me back my DVD (2005.2), and couldn't eject it dfrom my uninstalled NAVI drive in the junk pile in the shop, so they gave me a new E Class Navi DVD 2006.1 . I inserted it & it did some kind of software update before displaying the map on the command screen (which now lists a few more street names when zoomed in all the way).

3. Now my single slot CD in COMAND is very buggy. Sometimes on startup it displays the CD logo & nothing else then beeps & freezes. Other times it displays the Track number & a frozen elapsed time for the CD on screen & plays nothing. Sometimes it says CD error or No CD inserted... and sometimes it plays perfectly. (all with a previously working newly purchased store bought CD, which will play perfectly well every time in the CD changer.) In all cases it will eject properly, and all other functions including SAT work perfectly.

4. Switching between other apps & back to CD does nothing to make it play or unfreeze. Rarely turning Comand off & back on with its power switch will make the single CD play.

What has happened & what is the solution?
Old 06-14-2006, 05:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
P-B-82.60/382a MAY06 – Updates COMAND head unit software to 04/06, and AGW software if current version is earlier than 8/05.

COMAND Head Unit Conditions:

- During start up, the head unit displays a certain radio station but actually plays another station within the same or different frequency band.
- When the user is in radio mode, the station switches on its own usually to the lowest frequency or to the first preset if stored.
- Head unit resets (turns off and back on).
- Head unit hangs up and possibly resets during a telephone book download in vehicles equipped with telephone system.
- While the vehicles running, the user cannot load an audio disc into the head unit CD player, or if the disc is accepted, it may not be played unless the ignition is turned off and then on allowing MOST and CAN buses to go to sleep.
- Intermittent audio not available at system start up for up to 30 seconds and the MB star hangs up on the heads unit display.

Last edited by konigstiger; 06-14-2006 at 10:50 PM.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
I KNEW you had the answer! Thanks!
Old 06-16-2006, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Well.... they reflashed the Audio & it seems to be good. But they also inspected & replaced the ball joints & now the steering wheel is off center to the right... AND the rear A/C vents now blow boiling hot air when the front vents blow cold. Its uninhabitable in the car.

(EDIT 1 Hr Later- Hot air blowing out of rear "fixed itself".
Changes noticed so far in the audio software update... When I play a CD that I have burned myself, in addition to the title appearing in the COMAND Screen, it now appears in the MFD too... Instead of the title on comand only & "Track 10" on the MFD. Also if a track title has been truncated by Comand to fit the screen with "..." following most of the title, now a little light blue window pops up with the full title in a smaller font visible for 4 seconds, then it returns to the regular truncated display. END Edit

How does this damn brand survive in this marketplace? I'm really kind of "bent". The car was in the shop Tues, out Wed, back in Thursday & out again Friday 3 PM. Now it has to go back in on Monday to center the wheel. Geez. I hope MY SA doesn't run & hide from embarrasment.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 06-16-2006 at 04:19 PM.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 BMW 550i
I remember when I got reflashed (probably about a year ago), I see that title thing as you describe in the COMAND screen, but I don't see it in the MFD.

Luckily I have not had the hot air blowing out of the rear vents problem in at least a year. You are right, it does get awfully hot. I have also been lucky in that I have not had the cold air coming out of the fronts vents problem during the winter. The biggest issue with this problem is that it is not able to be reproduced.