Brakes Rotors, what else do I need?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 E500
Brakes Rotors, what else do I need?

Hello,

I need new pads and rotors for my front set. After reading some forums, turning rotors is a no no so I have to invest in new ones. With the help of these forums, and with my dad being a mechanic, I think we could easily swap the pads and rotors.

My question is I've always been interested in the big brake / rotor kit but not sure what I would need to get this. Is it just as easy as buying the big rotor (probably not) or do these items come in an all in one kit where I have to replace the whole brake? Thanks for the info.

- Tony
Old 06-20-2006, 08:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
03 E320 -wife's car now; 07 Porsche Boxster S - my toy
Tony,

Turning MB rotors is a big No-No. Even though you could still be within legal limits, it's not a good idea -- the rotors could still warp.

If you're looking for oversized rotor/caliper kits, there are many around. You would have to check with the vendors to see what modifications you would have to make to accommondate the new kit.

You can also just buy OEM fit rotors. If you like Brembo, they have aftermarket rotors for your car (#25774 fronts, #25775 rears). I think they may also have "sport" systems for the E500 -- check out their website. I have an '03 E320 and nobody makes sport brake kits for it. I just replaced the rear brakes with Brembo rotors and Porterfield pads.

If you decide on a "high performance" brake system, make sure that the rotors (which are vented) have directional vents as this helps to cool the rotor better than the 2 other types of venting. Directional venting will determine that the rotors are specifically left or right rotors (not the holes drilled in the rotor).

Also, it's good to have a mechanic in the family, but be aware that these cars have the SBC braking system which means you cannot bleed the system in the traditional way. You will need the "dealer only" Star Diagnostics to exercise the SBC while bleeding.

Good luck,

Regards,
paul...
Old 06-20-2006, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 E500
from the DIY brake post, people have stated that all I had to do was unhook the sbc hoses and the brake job is typically like a normal brake job. Can someone elaborate? Thanks.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
03 E320 -wife's car now; 07 Porsche Boxster S - my toy
Originally Posted by monstaloc
from the DIY brake post, people have stated that all I had to do was unhook the sbc hoses and the brake job is typically like a normal brake job. Can someone elaborate? Thanks.
I think you might of mis-read the DIY post for doing brakes on a W211 vehicle. There is no "unhooking" of brake lines/hoses. You need to disconnect the electrical connector on the SBC unit, which is done by sliding the connector retainer bracket straight up until it stops -- you will also hear somes beep noises from the warning system. Lock the car with your remote key and don't touch the key until your brake job is done.

I sent you a PM.

Regards,
paul....