E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

SBC Recall Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 E320 CDI, '07 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2007 Porsche GT3
SBC Recall Question

I took our '05 CDI to our dealer Friday to have the SBC ground wire/bracket recall performed. The tech checked the car and determined that the entire SBC regulator would also have to be replaced. They ordered the part and gave me a loaner, saying it would be unsafe to drive our car until the regulator had been replaced. The car has never shown any sign of overt or impending brake problems.

The dealership advised today (Tuesday) that the part is on national backorder and won't be available for 2 - 4 weeks. My service advisor now says the car WILL be safe to drive until the regulator can be replaced, and has requested that I return the loaner and retrieve my car!

Can anyone (Konigstiger) shed any light on what's prompted the replacement of the SBC regulator, and what risk I'm running driving the car in the interim?

Thanks.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:12 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i wonder what the sbc regulator is . . . . . I've never heard of one ?
Old 06-21-2006, 09:07 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 E300W
Me too, my car is in for service tomorrow on this same recall Karl.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by khaug
The dealership advised today (Tuesday) that the part is on national backorder and won't be available for 2 - 4 weeks. My service advisor now says the car WILL be safe to drive until the regulator can be replaced, and has requested that I return the loaner and retrieve my car!
Can anyone (Konigstiger) shed any light on what's prompted the replacement of the SBC regulator, and what risk I'm running driving the car in the interim? Thanks.
I’m thinking they need to replace the SBC hydraulic unit.

The underlining reason for this recall is that the SBC may shift to the hydraulic back up mode. In the hydraulic back up Mode the driver has braking power sufficient to stop the vehicle however, greater brake pedal pressure is required and the brake pedal travel will be noticeably longer which could lead to a vehicle crash.

Although you mention your car has never shown signs of brake problems, what if it does while you’re waiting for the part to be delivered? The dealer should allow for the loaner until all repairs are completed. If not simply mention “safety” recall!

If you should decide to retrieve your vehicle make certain the dealer supplies a dated invoice stating the vehicle is safe to drive and the required part, as per safety recall 2005110001, is on national backorder.

Note: If they fail to perform this service within sixty days you can submit a complaint to the National Highway Safety Administration 1-888-327-4236.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 E320 CDI, '07 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2007 Porsche GT3
I spoke today with the service manager of our dealership. He's a certified mechanic and someone I've dealt with for years and trust. He explained that the s/n on my SBC pump ("regulator") indicated that it needed to be reprogrammed, but it wouldn't accept the new programming so is being replaced. He checked tonight and a new pump has been shipped from Germany and is en route here.

I still have the loaner. When I picked up our CDI tonight, the "check engine" light was illuminated, so the car remains at the dealer.

Thanks Konigstiger and all who responded. Mark, I hope you have better luck with your recall! I'll let you know if this story has any further interesting chapters.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:26 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I guess they call the hydraulic pump a "regulator"