E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Nav system failure - causes???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 09:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 E350 Cab
Nav system failure - causes???

I just got my 2005 e500 out of the shop Wednesday. The car was in the shop for all the outstanding recall and service campaign work.

All night Wednesday night and all day today, the NAV worked fine. Now, however, I get "Navigation system unavailable" when I choose either MAP or NAV in the COMAND system. When I go to the trunk, the NAV DVD won't eject, either. There's no sound at all when I press the eject button.

Two things I think might have caused this. First, one of the recall jobs was to replace the battery control module. It may have killed the NAV system. But, like I said, the NAV worked for about a day after the work was done.

Today, however, I activated Teleaid. No matter what I tried, the Teleaid phone system wouldn't hang itself up until I turned the car off. I noticed the NAV problem right after that.

Obviously, it might also be unrelated to either of those things.

Any thoughts?
Old 06-23-2006, 08:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
I had 2 NAVI units replaced in the last week. The 1st failure occured when the complete audio system wouldn't boot up at all. They replaced the Nav unit & everything worked again. It lasted 4 days, at which time I got the message that the NAVI was unavailable, but the other parts of the audio system still worked. They replaced the trunk unit again & its all up & running again.

Why? Poor design. The world KNOWS how to BUILD a reliable DVD player.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harley-Davidson
Originally Posted by RickyEarl
. . . Today, however, I activated Teleaid. No matter what I tried, the Teleaid phone system wouldn't hang itself up until I turned the car off. . .
Did you push the "End" button under your Nav screen? That hangs up TeleAid.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:50 PM

2014 E350 Cab
Yes, I pushed the "end" button. I pushed the little wrench button. I also pushed every button on the COMAND (including power), but it still wouldn't hang up. It even refused to hang up for a few seconds after I took the key out of the car and activated the alarm. I could hear it making modem-like "handshake" noises from outside.

Barry, when you say "they replaced the trunk unit again" do you mean they only had to switch out the DVD player, or is there more to the "trunk unit?"

Is there something special (other than the plug in the back) about that player? It looks like a regular computer DVD reader.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by RickyEarl
Barry, when you say "they replaced the trunk unit again" do you mean they only had to switch out the DVD player, or is there more to the "trunk unit?"

Is there something special (other than the plug in the back) about that player? It looks like a regular computer DVD reader.
The "trunk unit" IS the DVD deck that reads the map unit & gathers your location info from the satellites & sends this info to be graphically displayed on the Comand screen.

If it looks like a regular DVD reader its because thats all you can see. Its the stuff MB puts inside thats poorly designed.

So in a nutshell, the trunk unit IS the Navigation unit. If you have Sirius Satellite also, the Satellite radio receiver is mounted in the right rear quarter panel, just forward of the tail light.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:47 PM

2014 E350 Cab
Well, they say it was caused by a "software update" they did as part of the recall work. It works now, but they have disabled the ability to get into the "engineering menu."
Old 06-24-2006, 12:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
My nav went once. I was using it a lot during a particular day, and before I knew it, it suddenly had me many miles off from the proper position. I was driving around in a lot of areas with the nav showing me in the Hudson River. It was fixed by updating the software and giving me a new disc (which was a side benefit, since this disc had a lot more roads stored on it.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:18 PM
Almost a Member!

03 E320
I have a similar problem sometimes.
When ever someone opens the trunk and put stuff there and i guess hit the side of the trunk where navigation is places, i start getting message on my Command "Navigation unavailable"
The way i fix it is by ejecting the nav cd from the dvd player and reinserting it.
Does anyone face similar problem?