MB-Tex or Full Leather?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 02:07 PM
LNL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300
MB-Tex or Full Leather?

A search of the old message archives discloses that it's been a while since this topic has been discussed, so I thought I'd float the questions again.

I've ordered an '07 E320 Bluetec, and have about a month or so to finalize my order. The car comes standard with MB-Tex, and I'm not sure if the '07's will have leather panel inserts in the front seating surfaces or not. The dealer ordering guide is unclear; the C-class guide lists "full MB-Tex", while the E-class guide is silent on the standard interior material for the Bluetec. Full leather will run an additional $1500 or so.

Here are my questions:

1. How does MB-Tex compare to full leather as far as feel, looks, comfort and durability?

2. Does anyone know if the '07's that come with MB-Tex will have the leather front seating inserts or not?

3. Any opinions on which you would rather have, and why?

3. Will the resale value of the car be higher with a full leather interior, or does it make little difference?

Thanks,

Lou

Last edited by LNL; 06-24-2006 at 02:13 PM.
Old 06-24-2006, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Thumbs up

Here are my opinions:

1. How does MB-Tex compare to full leather as far as feel, looks, comfort and durability?

MB Tex is the highest grade vinyl. It wears well, cleans well, & ages very slowly. Once the "new car smell" is gone I open MY doors & really can't smell the "full leather interior" any more... well, maybe very faintly. MB Tex is more durable than any leather. If you damp wipe it when it needs it, it will look showroom new and soft & pliable almost forever. Leather is a skin, so its "breatheable". People with sensitive a$$es, may feel slightly cooler in the seat of their pants on a long Summer drive.... Me? I trun the A/C on & I'm good to go.

2. Does anyone know if the '07's that come with MB-Tex will have the leather front seating inserts or not? Dunno.

3. Any opinions on which you would rather have, and why?

I wanted my Benz "Loaded" so I chose an E500 & added almost everything (to within 5 grand of a stripped S Class. Smart? I don't know, but I don't lease & I just couldn't spend all that money for an S Class similarly equipped. Snobby types "in the know" will check for the leather interior. I'd rather they equipped Benzes in the USA with MB Tex & included a lot more of the Gee-Whiz options standard (provided they ever redesign them so they work first time, every time!). If your budget is tight, I'd skip the leather & add some gee whiz (luxury car/MB non-standard options).

3. Will the resale value of the car be higher with a full leather interior, or does it make little difference?

Someone looking at your car as a used car will be looking for equipment level, cleanliness, & milage. MB Tex will not even be a factor at all. Vinyl doesn't crack & age like leather & it cleans up far better so as a used car the MB Tex will look better all things being equal.

That being said, remember, I wanted leather in my car, so I made sure I got it... here it is 2.5 years later, & only the guys here on the forum would know if my car had the leather in it when they got into the car. Its not even a full leather interior. So the decision is yours. Base it on the emotional/financial rather than the "practical"... a car is not an investment. Its an emotional purchase for you to enjoy NOW. Not for the 2nd owner!

Just My Opinions...Barry

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 06-24-2006 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-24-2006, 03:56 PM

Harley-Davidson
Originally Posted by LNL
. . . How does MB-Tex compare to full leather as far as feel, looks, comfort and durability? . . .
I think the MB-Tex looks very nice, but there is a different feel to the leather when you run your hand over the material. Is it worth the extra money? Probably not. Would I pay extra for it next time? Definitely! I just feel that a luxury car should have a luxury feel. (I also think that it should be standard in a car of this price range.)

Congratulations on your order. You are going to have a beautiful car whichever choice you make.
Old 06-24-2006, 06:14 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 E300W
Originally Posted by cyclerider
I just feel that a luxury car should have a luxury feel. (I also think that it should be standard in a car of this price range.)

I second these comments. And, no one should have to pay extra for leather in a $50K car.

In the end, of course, it's all about options. I think the trunk closer is a waste, and others probably think my choice to get full leather is a waste. So, ultimately, you have to make the decision.

For me, the stark door panels made the difference. They're concave, solid vinyl w/o the option. With, it's tufted leather.

Good luck on your purchase.
Old 06-24-2006, 08:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E320 CDI;'04 S2k;'94 Supra TT;'10 QX56;'38 Buick;98 Port City Offset Late Model
I find it amazing the MB charges the premium prices it does, yet confines leather to two strips down the front seats. The leather option is nicer. However, the better leathers are only on the ventilated seats and the E55/E63 Nappa interiors. And the designio, even though they don't sell the full leather interior versions here.

One of my big complaints is that ventilated seats are not available on the 6-cylinder or diesel models anymore. Why do you need a 380hp car to get ventilated seats; available as an option on a $30k Lexus!!!
Old 06-25-2006, 04:13 AM
Almost a Member!

'06 E320 CDI; '00 BMW 530d 5-speed manual
If you think paying extra for leather in a ~$50K car, configure a car on the MB UK website. The side airbags, intergrated garage door opener (standard on US E Class) and many other things were options. I configured a car exactly like mine, and with the current exchange rates the car would have cost me $83,000

We've got it pretty good.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:07 AM

'05 E320 CDI;'04 S2k;'94 Supra TT;'10 QX56;'38 Buick;98 Port City Offset Late Model
Because of the VAT.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:42 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 E300W
. . . at about 18% which is included in the EU price of the car.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:06 PM
LNL

C300
Thanks for all your comments. I agree that leather should be included. If MB-Tex is so great (as Mercedes and the dealer tout it to be), why is leather standard in the E500? Seems MB-Tex is more about cost than quality. But, leather is not standard, so I will need to make a decision.

The door panels don't bother me, and the "feel" to the hand is not all that significant (to me). My main concern is comfort and wearability. Good leather holds up well, and is supple. It can also pucker and crack, even if well cared for. MB-Tex seems to be a good alternative to leather, provided that it is as comfortable as leather and doesn't get too hot in the summer or too cold in the winter (heated seats and A/C helps).

Lou
Old 06-25-2006, 10:16 PM
Almost a Member!

'06 E320 CDI; '00 BMW 530d 5-speed manual
Originally Posted by DavidNJ
Because of the VAT.
Having things like side impact airbags and the garage door opener standard has nothing to do with VAT.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:18 PM

2003 E320
My vote goes to full leather. I haven't had the MBTex before, so it might be fine. But I love the full leather. And I definitely prefer the look of the door panels with full leather. And I had my last Mercedes 17 years and it had full leather. It still looked new after 17 years (but I took good care of it)!
Old 06-26-2006, 09:43 AM

2014 E350 4Matic, 2012 Kia Soul+
Full leather is about the only option I didn't order. I wish I had. I would like the feel and I didn't know they spruced up the doors with the package.

I did get the trunk closer and I LOVE it. But I'm sure options like trunk closer and leather will have no appreciable impact on resale value.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:10 PM
rjm

Multiple
There's nothing like the smell of REAL leather in a quality automobile.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by edspider
Full leather is about the only option I didn't order. I wish I had. I would like the feel and I didn't know they spruced up the doors with the package.

I did get the trunk closer and I LOVE it. But I'm sure options like trunk closer and leather will have no appreciable impact on resale value.
While the doors have the leather insert, it actually takes away arm room. This was an issue for me. The desigino packages have an insert that bulges on the top like the standard leather, but is concave on the bottom like the standard leather duo.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:38 PM

11 ML350W2 / 17 GLC300
I have had full leather on all of my MBs. That said, leather is more work to maintain. The ash, stone, and java interiors need to be cleaned regularly. The charcoal interior becomes paler and dry looking. I use the Leatherique products and a coat of Pristine Clean every 3 months or so keeps the charcoal looking like charcoal. I will order the leather on my next MB. l have friends that have the MBTex and don't want the maintenance of leather. They like the MBTex and are happy. It all depends on what you want and are willing to do to maintain it.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:45 PM

The vinyl is still the Duo option, which has strip of leather down the center of the front seat.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:39 PM

2006 E350
The type of weather you get might enter into your decision too... Here is the Arizona Desert Heat, the MTex stays a bit cooler than the leather seats...

Mr Papa
Old 06-27-2006, 12:04 AM
LNL

C300
Originally Posted by Mr Papa
The type of weather you get might enter into your decision too... Here is the Arizona Desert Heat, the MTex stays a bit cooler than the leather seats.
That is interesting. I would have thought it was the other way around. Any idea why?

Lou
Old 06-27-2006, 12:12 AM

Vinyl doesn't breath...but then does plastic coated leather breath?

For Arizona, and IMHO for New Jersey, a white car with a grey or beige interior, and ventilated seats is best for the summer.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:17 AM

2006 E350
No, I really dont know why... But my three of my four previous cars had leather and it was pretty bad... Sticky and hot... My E350 has the Mtex on purpose and it seems to be much cooler in the 100+ days here... I know thats not scientific so perhaps its in my mind but I am quite happy with it.

Mr Papa
Old 06-27-2006, 11:48 PM

Which parts are different in the 'full leather' package? I only noticed the door panels, but for $1500, surely there's something I missed.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:35 AM
LNL

C300
Originally Posted by Talbot
Which parts are different in the 'full leather' package? I only noticed the door panels, but for $1500, surely there's something I missed.
As far as I know, the only leather in the MB-Tex cars (pre '07), the main seating strips for the driver and passenger (seat and back, i.e., what you sit on) are leather, all else is MB-Tex (side bolsters, sides, headrests, seat backs, rear seat). Not sure what they're doing for '07, it may be the same, it may be "full MB-Tex" though. In the full leather package, what was MB-Tex is leather (door panels are not leather as far as I know, just the "puckered" inserts).

Lou