E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Squeaky seats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 08:24 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Squeaky seats

I posted this in the Tech forum but nobody replied.
My 2005 E500 has squeaky front seats when people are sitting in them.
Somewhere on here I saw a post about it but can't find it.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:33 AM

2003 E500
Are you sure it's not coming from the seatbelt lock? If it is, a little bit of WD40 should do the trick.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:36 AM

Mercedes benz E500
i used to have the same problem as well like you do. as i remember, the sits brackets is something wrong, that why they replace it. but actually there is no harm in it. as it is only annonying to hear that kind of noise in the car. if your car is still under warranty, bring it to the dealer ship and they can change it for free
Old 06-29-2006, 07:11 AM
Almost a Member!

It does seems to come from where the seatblet locks are. Like they are rubbing on the console or the seat. Not real sure I want to spray WD-40 on my fake leather seats. It's still under warranty.. I've owned it for 1 year (last week) and it has 8000 miles on it.
My dealer doesn't fix a damn thing I take it in for.. unless it's a recall.
Harsh tranny up/down shifting (they said normal)
Steering wheel shakes (they said tires get flat spots from sitting)
Passenger seat belt chime goes off when nothing is in the seat (usually when cold outside)
Old 06-29-2006, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
WD40 on fake leather seats is a no-no. The petroleum distilates in it are not really so good for the pleather. If you feel a little lube would alleviate the squeaking use Armor All. Its slick and also good for vinyl. Just apply it where you need it. You dont need slick seats!
Old 06-29-2006, 02:00 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by RunninRS
My dealer doesn't fix a damn thing I take it in for unless it's a recall.
Maybe some pieces of paper for your dealer to reference, more or less specific to your problems, will help. However, I cannot stress how important it is to get your MBUSA Service Parts and Operations Manager (SPOM) involved if you’re not happy with the service received from the dealership. Have the SA put you in touch with the Service Manager and request MBUSA SPOM contact info or have him/her contact you.

1) Steering wheel shakes (they said tires get flat spots from sitting):

P-B-33.15/16a JAN06 Steering Wheel Twitch during Brake Application – steering wheel twitch during slow speed brake applications, replace the hyrdro-mount or partially hollow rubber style bushings (which ever equipped) with solid rubber bushings (part # A211 333 11 14). Also, request that they tighten the steering rack (even more so if you experience shimmy while driving rather than braking).

FYI - Tire flat spots:
The Hunter GSP9700 performs a computer simulated road test and as such isolates and measures the exact cause of wheel-related vibration. A perfectly balanced tire can still vibrate due to force variation. Aligning the high point or stiff spot in the tire with the lowest spot in the rim can make the wheel “round when rolling”. This procedure is called force matching (road force balancing) and solves most vibration problems. Whenever you request a wheel balance always ask for road force balance. This checks for out of round tires, stiff spotting, and not only measures static balance “up and down” (normal balancing) but also dynamic balance “side to side”.

2) Harsh tranny up/down shifting (they said normal):

P-B-27.00/40a APR04 Shift Quality Complaints 7G-Tronic Transmission – shift concerns and no fault codes, it is recommended that the transmission be flashed with the latest software and confirm correct transmission oil fill level. If the problem persists after flashing the software request that the dealer alert the MBUSA Enhanced Diagnostic Assistance Center (EDAC) for proper repair.

3) Squeaky front seats when people are sitting in them. It does seem to come from where the seatbelt locks are like they are rubbing on the console or the seat.

P-B-00.45/77 FEB04 Service Kit for Rectifying Squeaking, Creaking and Tearing Noises – Noise Damping Service Kit A000 580 03 50 contains all authorized MB lubricants as well as an application table for the best method of rectifying squeaking, cracking and tearing noises. It is my understanding that these lubricants may only be used at the workshops.

4) Passenger seat belt chime goes off when nothing is in the seat (usually when cold outside): Adjust sensor(s)?

Last edited by konigstiger; 06-29-2006 at 02:03 PM.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:21 PM
Almost a Member!

Good idea on getting MBUSA involved.
This will be the 3rd time I have complaigned about the tranny.

As for the steering wheel shake.. it does it around 60 MPH usually. More so when it's colder outside. It doesn't matter how long the cars sits. Sometimes it can sit for 10 min and do it, other times sit for 5 days and not do it.

I'm not sure if my dealership has the Hunter machine.. I will ask.
Old 07-01-2006, 12:55 AM

Mercedes benz E500
Smile

have aligment and balancing you car? or maybe you can check on the car tires whether it have a little bump on it? which also can cause that problem.
Old 07-01-2006, 05:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
Good idea on getting MBUSA involved.
This will be the 3rd time I have complaigned about the tranny.

As for the steering wheel shake.. it does it around 60 MPH usually. More so when it's colder outside. It doesn't matter how long the cars sits. Sometimes it can sit for 10 min and do it, other times sit for 5 days and not do it.

I'm not sure if my dealership has the Hunter machine.. I will ask.
Get your tires balanced and try nitro filled tires. I have the nitro fill on my ML and it makes a big difference in ride quality since my tire pressure doesn't change when the outside temperate changes. Also try driving on another freeway to make sure its not the freeway. I know where I live parts of the 101 are not totally flat and when driving at a certain speed it gives you the feeling you cars tires are out of balance. I didnt figure that out until I was stuck in the traffic and realized that certain parts of the freeway have nice fine bumps in them.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS7 powered Corvette
I replied to your post in the technical section about the squeaky seats...There is an aerosol spray lube in that noise damping kit that works great on that noise. You can get it individually, and the same lube also comes in a small bottle for seals and stuff but it is kinda pricy. I'd give the armor-all/leather creme a try.

I experience the "shimmy" in my car as well sometimes. All I can say is that tires are easily the number one cause of NVH. Keep the pressures right, rotate them when possible, that really helps prevent abnormal wear especially on the fronts. What rubbers are underneath it right now?

The trans and other concerns were pretty well explained above.

Last edited by csumt76; 07-04-2006 at 11:40 PM.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:52 AM

the seats in the e500 are fake??
Old 07-06-2006, 08:55 AM

Harley-Davidson
Originally Posted by unclebenz
the seats in the e500 are fake??
He must have special-ordered "fake" from the factory because full leather is standard. I wonder how much extra they charge for M-B Tex?
Old 07-06-2006, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 M6, 05 Noble, 01 S4, Smart ForTwo
The E500 seats are leather..

2nd, the squeek usually is coming from the compression of the seat against the plastic housing below the seat. Thats what I noticed. If I move the seats up and forward, the problem goes away, but doesnt work for me being 6'4 or so
Old 07-19-2006, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

One with 4 wheels
I'm confused.........I have a W203 with the full leather......is it fake or real leather?

And kinda OT, but what do you guys use to treat your leather seats, to keep them protected and looking great?

On another note, I have the squeaky seat thing as well!
Old 07-19-2006, 03:25 PM
Almost a Member!

I thought just the seating surfaces are leather and the rest is that mbtex stuff.
Car says Service C in a few days so I am going to take it in with a laundry list of 'issues'.
See if the dealer does anything about them this time.
Harsh/rough 7G tranny (2nd time)
Squeaky seats
Font end shake (2nd time)
Passenger seat belt alarm when nobody is in the seat (2nd time)
Intermittant rough idle. (2nd time)
And got a new one after they did the SBC recall... any time you touch the brake pedal, you get a rather loud hydraulic 'squeak'. Like air is being forced through an orifice along with the fluid. I wouldn't think what they did for the recall would cause that.. probably something new.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:10 PM

09 E63 ///AMG
My 2005 E500 has squeaky front seats when people are sitting in them.
I had the same squeaks you are experiencing, very annoying, and only when they were occupied. It was caused by the plastic bezel from the rear foot well lamps. Simply snap off the lamps from the seat frame and apply a little lubricant on the attachment points. Haven’t had a problem since!
Old 08-01-2006, 09:53 AM

Me too - Footwell Lamps

The dealer removed the footwell lamp on the rear underside of the driver seat and the squeak, which had been a recurring annoyance for almost two years, was gone.

The lens and innards of mine had melted for some reason, due to poor design I guess, or leaving the door open for too long. This probably made the squeak worse due to poor fit.

In any case we're waiting fo the part to be installed and we'll see if that squeak stays away.