E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

What does this item in Carfax mean?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 01:51 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What does this item in Carfax mean?

I am looking at a 2003 E320 Wagon. I ran carfax and found nothing special except the last item of the carfax. The last two items in carfax is as below:

========================================
06/30/2006 Mercedes-Benz USA, Inc. No recalls open for repair
06/30/2006 CARFAX Advisor Be sure to buy this vehicle from a licensed dealer. A curbstoner is a person who purchases vehicles at volumes that require a dealer license and then poses as a private seller to sell to unsuspecting buyers for a large profit. Curbstoning is illegal in most States.
========================================

The "No recalls open for repair" appears everytime I ran carfax for different cars. But the "Be sure to buy this vehicle from a licensed dealer" one makes me a little concerned. It does show on some car's record but not all. Why does carfax warn me to "Be sure to buy this vehicle from a licensed dealer"? Does carfax have any record showing the dealer who I am buying from has a kind of "red flag"?

Thanks!
Old 06-30-2006, 02:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E500
I can't say I know WHY carfax gives the message (based on a red flag or random warning, etc...). But, here is more info about Curbstoners:

http://www.consumerhelpweb.com/auto/acurbston.htm
Old 07-04-2006, 06:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 E350 Cab
Was the car ever bought/sold at an auction? Curbstoning is more common with auctioned cars.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:14 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
The carfax report should also give you the ownership history. It may be that this flag pops up if the car fits a particular profile. Are you buying it from a person or dealer? If dealer, is it a CPO? If person, when did the title go in his / her name. If it was last week, then move on.