E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

2007 MSRP now on NetStar

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 07:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Well you can't please everyone, no matter how they do it someone won't like this or won't like that. They're giving the E more standard equipment and I think they've been listening to the customers or at least seeing they've ordered in the past and then tried to match that. So I disagree completely about them not listening to the customer.

What do you mean by "ROW Variations"?

M
Old 07-12-2006, 07:52 AM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
ROW = rest of world
Old 07-12-2006, 07:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Oh, well even that has been cut down from what they've done a few years ago. They do still have the Elegance, Avantgarde and Classic trim grades, but when importing cars to the U.S. simple is better for cost reasons.

M
Old 07-12-2006, 07:57 AM
LNL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300
Originally Posted by Germancar1
True, but they're still a regular production car company at the end of the day so they can't just custom build every E-Class it would be too expensive. I remember when MB didn't have any "packages" at all, just an option "list". The cars were mightily expensive to build that way. They have to streamline the build process if they want to return to profitability.

Originally Posted by amdeutsch
The way MB does it may increase their profitability but IMHO opinion leaves the consumer spending more than they want at times.

For example:
1) You want BIX you will have to buy P2 containing Nav, Keyless Go, etc. = $4290/4740 for BIX if you don't want some of the other stuff
2) You want heated seats you will have to buy P1 = $2390/2840 for heated seats if you don't want some of the other stuff

So, there is a downside to MBs madness trying to emulate the japanese model setup.
I had to order P2 just to get bixenon lights, and spent a lot more than I would have just to get that option. On the other hand, the overall price of the car should be lower (no MSRP on the BlueTec yet, but the rest of the line is lower overall when the inclusion of the sunroof, Logic 7 and CD changer as standard is factored in).

Aside from MB's bottom line, the dealers are in a better position to swap cars, and consumers are in a better position to shop for a car. Instead of hunting for a car equipped a particular way, and running into all the different permutations that used to be the rule, the cars available on the lots (as opposed to ordered cars) will generally be base, P1 or P2 cars. Some will be floating around with the little extras (trunk closer, folding rear seat, etc.), but overall the cars available will be more uniform. Given the mass market niche for the E-class, that strategy makes sense.

Lou
Old 07-12-2006, 08:01 AM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
As stated earlier about the US. Compare that to the options/packages offered just up north. Go look at some foreign MB sites and take a lot their at options/packages.

For Example:
1) I downloaded the German pricelist. Within it it states that if you order leather you will have to order front heated seats. Over here in the US that doesn't exist. Why not leave it that way and offer the P1 without heated seats.
2) Why not make P2 a stand alone instead of requiring that it has to have P1 as well.
3) Some dealers will even quote you that you can't have the free sports package unless you order P1 at a minimum. Even MBUSA is unsure on that one when asked about it. But yet their own brochure/dealer order guide does not show that.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well let me state I'm not a buyer here so......

I think they way they're doing it is the best compromise for the customer and MB's bottom line. I mean there are 1000 different ways they could do this. I still think the way they've arranged the packages for 07's is closer to what people were ordering anyway, but that is just my hunch.

M