Key Problem!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Ducati
Key Problem!

My boss has his daily driver 2003 E500. The smart keys stopped working together all together. The buttons on both of his remotes dont work, and the buttons on the handles dont work as well. Can anyone help me sort this out?
Old 07-06-2006, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'13 E550 W4
Did your boss have any work done to the vehicle's rear windshield? There is a type of amp or similar component installed there (or near) that they sometimes remove during body work which controls the signal to the keys and locks which then go inoperable if its removed. Call the dealer.
Old 07-07-2006, 03:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
For the smart keys, it's possible that the battery has come loose, although if this is the case, it should still work in the ignition. My last car had this problem a couple of times. To fix, you just remove the battery, bend the little retainer spring, and reinsert the battery. If this is not the issue, then I would be taking the car into the dealer.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Ducati
I bent the little spring back, and VOILA!!!! It works!!!

But now, my bosses car was sideswipped in the back. They had to pull the rear bumper cover off to repaint it. Before this was done, you could walk up to the car with the doors locked, pull the release handle, and it would open. But now, you have to have the car unlocked in order to be able to pull the handle and open it. There is a wireharness hanging off the back of his car like a tail that has a few wires going to it, and we wonder if this has something to do with it. Please help..... Thank you..