My Last Nagging Problem: Intermittant Op of SmartKey Windows Down Feature

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
My Last Nagging Problem: Intermittant Op of SmartKey Windows Down Feature

Ok... this is the last nagging problem that I have been having since day one with my '04. Someone, somewhere has got to have the cure...

When I use the remote (smartkey) to unlock the car & continue to hold the "unlock" button, the windows & roof are supposed to roll open as long as I hold the button, and the seat cooling is supposed to go on on the drivers seat.

There are weeks at a time that nothing will happen other than the doors will unlock. The windows & roof will not open using the IR smartkey. It doesn't matter where I aim the IR key (even going so far as to hold it an inch or less from the IR receiver in the door handle.) Sometimes aiming the IR key at the middle of the door panel with the key in my left hand, will make it work... It doesn't matter if it is day or night or if there is bright sun or not... Then there are those good days when the windows will roll down for days at a time.

The car has keyless go, & if the windows are down when I leave the car, I can close the door & push & hold the little black lock button in the door handle & the windows will all roll up. Batteries are fresh in the smart keys. I understand that it uses IR to drop the windows, know how to aim the key & know how far away it should work. (I'm an educated consumer.) It doesn't matter which key I use when the system isnt working, neither key will open the windows/roof.

Anybody know why the thing only works intermittently using the smartkey?

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 08-09-2006 at 05:25 PM.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The dealer where I bought my 04 E500 4MATIC with what seems to be about the same options as you mentioned NEVER even mentioned that this was possible to do with our remotes. When I get back from this trip, looks like I will have to play around with it. Good luck with your problem and thanks for the info. I just hope my car doesn’t have the same issues with this feature.

cheers,
Old 08-09-2006, 04:20 PM
Almost a Member!

Yea same thing happens to me! I read about the functionality in my Users Manual, tried it and it worked! Since then it has not worked a single time! strange. I'll like to know what the right technique is or if its a problem! Help us!
Old 08-09-2006, 05:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
Ok... this is the last nagging problem that I have been having since day one with my '04. Someone, somewhere has got to have the cure... Anybody know why the thing only works intermittently using the smartkey?
For “summer opening” the key emits an IR signal which is focused into a narrow beam. The beam is switched on and off to encode the data. The receiver uses a photodiode to convert IR to an electric current. It responds only to the rapidly pulsing signal created by the transmitter in the key. Suggest door handle (receiver) replacement first since the problem occurs with all keys. If this doesn’t solve it request key replacement – process of elimination.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:30 PM

2003 E500
Same problem here!

And the two times I've tried to show it to the dealership, it WORKS!

I get it home and it DOES NOT WORK. I've held the key AGAINST the IR receiver on the door handle, and nothing.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:04 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by Reckdriver
And the two times I've tried to show it to the dealership, it WORKS! I get it home and it DOES NOT WORK. I've held the key AGAINST the IR receiver on the door handle, and nothing.
The problem is intermittent and therefore needs to be addressed as a precautionary resolve. Request that your dealership Service Manager involve the local MBUSA Service & Parts Operations Manager (SPOM) for mediation. Each time the dealer claimed “no trouble found” it should have been documented on an invoice. Two invoices should easily provide proof for the SPOM to render a favorable decision on your part to start replacing associated parts.