E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Advice on RIM size on E270 CDI Elegance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on RIM size on E270 CDI Elegance

Hi,

I am looking at buying some Carlsson rims for my E270 CDI Elegance. Currently I have the standard 16" alloys with standard tires on it.

I am looking at getting some 19" and fitting these with 245/35 and 285/30 tires or something in that range.

As I use this car for going to my job each day, as well as for doing any kind of long-haul travel with my family (Wife and two small kids) I am concerned that the 19" rims can have a severely negative impact on the comfort of the driving. Also, will 19" go along well with the standard suspension on the Elegance series? Or will it completely screw up the handling of the car, requiring a replacement of the suspension as well?

Can anyone come with input on what this would be comparable with comfort- and/or handlingwise?

I.e. would the comfort level correspond to an E211 Avantgarde with 18" alloys, while the handling would be equivalent of a VW beetle model 1974?

Many concerns, hopefully someone has tried this before me. I wouldn't want the wife on my back nagging me about bumps in the road or waking up the children each time I hit a small hole in the street.

Thanks in advance,

Jorgen / Germany
The land of fast highways...