E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Induction Loop Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 E350 4Matic, 2012 Kia Soul+
Induction Loop Install

Here's one perhaps Steve can weigh in on.

I and many hard of hearing people like me would benefit greatly from having someting called an induction loop installed in thier car. An induction loop is simply a wire installed in the perimeter of the floor or headliner and connected to an induction audio amplifier. The input to the amplifier is then spliced into the car's audio out such that whatever is playing through the car speakers is also sent through the induction loop. We then set our hearing aid/cochlear implant to T-Coil and clearly hear without interference from fans or road noise.

A good amp for this is like this http://www.assistiveaudio.com/ILD20.htm with these instructions http://www.ampetronic.com/pdf/up1440...p%20vehicle%22

Because of the sensitive and mysterious nature of COMAND, I am scared to let a local custom audio MOD shop to have a go at installing it. But perhaps if were able to tell them where to patch safely into the sound system, I would risk it. Or perhaps Steve might add this to his bag of tricks when he is next in town.

I suspect there are a lot of MB owners who wear hearing aids and would love to have this option installed, but just don't know about it. A friend had it installed in his GS430 and it worked beautifully.

PS I submitted this on the audio accessory thread 10 days ago, but got no response.

Last edited by edspider; 08-27-2006 at 03:03 PM.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
sold - w211 e320, f250, rx7 race car
bump for a worthy thread.

Maybe some of the MB techs on here know if it's even possible to tap into command or not.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 E350 4Matic, 2012 Kia Soul+
Thanks for the bump. I have read the install guide link I included in my post and it looks like it just needs to be connected to a right and left speaker terminal - not the command module. That makes it a less threatening. But alas, I don't know which speakers are best for this, where to get 12V in the trunk and how to route the loop around headliner and into the trunk.