E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Question for MBenzNL or anyone smarter than me - Airmatic lowering

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2006 | 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Question for MBenzNL or anyone smarter than me - Airmatic lowering

My car was lowered via Star Diagnostic. I'm getting ready for my next mod which will be a wood/leather steering wheel. To do this, I need to disconnect the battery in my trunk. I've heard rumors that If I disconnect my battery that my suspension will revert back to it's stock height when I reconnect it. Is this correct?

Say it ain't so, Steve.
Old 09-01-2006 | 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
One does not need to disconnect the battery Ground cable to swap a Steering Wheel...
Ive done several

btw the airmatic will NOT lose its memory when a battery is disconnected
Old 09-01-2006 | 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MARK CUMMINS
One does not need to disconnect the battery Ground cable to swap a Steering Wheel...
Ive done several

Thanks for the reply, Mark.

Really? No need to disconnect the battery? Is there zero chance of blowing the airbag if I keep the battery connected. Man, that would suck.

Glad to hear about the airmatic. I read somewhere on this forum that it resets. I'll try to dig it up.

Thanks again.
Old 09-01-2006 | 03:42 PM

2001 CLK320, 2003 E320
Originally Posted by MARK CUMMINS
Ive done several

I didn't either. Just make sure your keys are out!
Old 09-01-2006 | 04:16 PM

2004 E320, 2006 Infiniti G35X, Yamaha VMAX 700 (Snowmobile)
I can't imagine the airbag blowing off if the key is not in the ignition. Isn't the airbag only active if the car has been started and someone is in the seat? That was my impression reading the owners manual. I too am getting ready for a wood/leather install but was just going to keep the key in the house and go at it..
Old 09-01-2006 | 07:00 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Just do NOT have the key in the ignition. EVEN IN THE OFF POSITION. Also, if you have keyless go, take the key inside your crib, so you don't accidently hit the button. Make sure the car is where you will want it and get the wheel straight BEFORE you pull the key out, so that you will not need to use it. Lastly, the bolt holding the wheel on is very tight. DO NOT use the wheel lock mechanism to hold the wheel in place. Tighten with a torque wrench and all is well.
Old 09-01-2006 | 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jangy
Just do NOT have the key in the ignition. EVEN IN THE OFF POSITION. Also, if you have keyless go, take the key inside your crib, so you don't accidently hit the button. Make sure the car is where you will want it and get the wheel straight BEFORE you pull the key out, so that you will not need to use it. Lastly, the bolt holding the wheel on is very tight. DO NOT use the wheel lock mechanism to hold the wheel in place. Tighten with a torque wrench and all is well.

You know if you didn't remind me not to use the wheel lock to hold the wheel in place I totally would have. So, I guess this is a two man job? Oh, I know Rod tightened his main bolt back down to 30 ft-lbs but does anyone know what the factory torque specs are?

Thanks Jang-ball

Thanks for the info on the battery. I do have keyless-go so I'll make sure to keep the kizzles in the hizzouse
Old 09-01-2006 | 09:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
You know if you didn't remind me not to use the wheel lock to hold the wheel in place I totally would have. So, I guess this is a two man job? Oh, I know Rod tightened his main bolt back down to 30 ft-lbs but does anyone know what the factory torque specs are?

Thanks Jang-ball

Thanks for the info on the battery. I do have keyless-go so I'll make sure to keep the kizzles in the hizzouse
Nah, one man job. Stand next to the car with the door open. Hold the wheel in one hand (at 12 o clock) and push down on the ratchet.

I do not know the TQ setting to use, but you may want to get a new nut. If you have to be stingy, use a strong locktite.
Old 09-02-2006 | 07:18 AM

2004 E320, 2006 Infiniti G35X, Yamaha VMAX 700 (Snowmobile)
I looked everywhere to get a bolt like this and have given up at this point. Just trying to find the right hex bits was challenging. Any ideas who might sell the stock bolt without going to the dealership?
Old 09-02-2006 | 08:22 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

some slow@$$diesels
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama

Say it ain't so, Steve.
it ain't so

key out of ignition while working on the steering wheel/airbag...1 person to hold teh wheel - second person to release the allen 10...carefull with the locked airbag connectors so that they don't get damaged...

greetingz,