should rear drop equal front?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 12:23 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by monstaloc
Man, I'm gone for a day and a half and I miss the free link give away. Well, tomorrow, as soon as that **** home depot opens, i'm going to lower my car one way or another. I"l post pics.
Benz o is a friend, that is why he gets free. If you want it done, i'd be happy to do the manual part of straightening it and drilling the old screw out if you pay for the links. It takes me about an hour to do it all. That way you end up with a nice drop just from the links and can add washers, if it isn't enough.

The free links I sent did not have the longer screws, so DO NOT add washers to it.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Originally Posted by jangy
Benz o is a friend, that is why he gets free. If you want it done, i'd be happy to do the manual part of straightening it and drilling the old screw out if you pay for the links. It takes me about an hour to do it all. That way you end up with a nice drop just from the links and can add washers, if it isn't enough.

The free links I sent did not have the longer screws, so DO NOT add washers to it.

Thanks again Jang. I'll keep an eye out for em. Hey do you know how much the links are from the dealer? I think I'm gonna buy a stock set for the winter. I'll put my stock wheels back on and put it back to stock height. They're predicting a crazy winter around here.
Old 09-03-2006, 05:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
Thanks again Jang. I'll keep an eye out for em. Hey do you know how much the links are from the dealer? I think I'm gonna buy a stock set for the winter. I'll put my stock wheels back on and put it back to stock height. They're predicting a crazy winter around here.
A new set is $30 to $50 depending on the dealer. You can keep mine and yours if you like the modded ones. I can pick up a new set when I need them. Actually, having the option is a good idea.
There is also a sliding ruler style link for the rear that you can adjust the length on if you really want to go that route.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 E500
Finally, after 2 trips to home depot, 1 really messed up link I bent trying to pop that screw out, and 6 adjusments, I think I can't do any better than this.

Here's the before pics.

2 fingers in the front, 3 in the back.
Attached Thumbnails should rear drop equal front?-before_full.jpg   should rear drop equal front?-before_front.jpg   should rear drop equal front?-before_front2.jpg   should rear drop equal front?-before_rear.jpg   should rear drop equal front?-before_rear2.jpg  

Old 09-03-2006, 09:39 PM

'03 E500
You can see in these pictures how I took the bracket out. Notice that lil piece in the middle. Hold that to undo the bolt that holds this arm in place.
Attached Thumbnails should rear drop equal front?-dsc04060.jpg   should rear drop equal front?-dsc04061.jpg   should rear drop equal front?-dsc04063.jpg   should rear drop equal front?-dsc04064.jpg   should rear drop equal front?-dsc04066.jpg  

Old 09-03-2006, 09:42 PM

'03 E500
There what I got at home depot the first time. I ended up buying another pack of washers tho later on in the day.

As you can see, I had to bend the bracket to get the new longer screw in there.

You can now see the results although notice the rear is still a bit too high for my taste
Attached Thumbnails should rear drop equal front?-dsc04068.jpg   should rear drop equal front?-dsc04071.jpg   should rear drop equal front?-dsc04073.jpg   should rear drop equal front?-dsc04074.jpg   should rear drop equal front?-after_full.jpg  

Old 09-03-2006, 09:44 PM

'03 E500
Final pics here
Attached Thumbnails should rear drop equal front?-after_front.jpg   should rear drop equal front?-after_rear.jpg   should rear drop equal front?-dsc04081.jpg   should rear drop equal front?-dsc04079.jpg  
Old 09-03-2006, 09:47 PM

'03 E500
for the back, i finally found the sensor. For those that can't find it, just follow the driver's side exhaust pipe back and you'll see it.

Using tips from another post I put washers in there too just because I didn't want to blow 70 bucks on a dremel and I'm not very good with my hands. I know i would've really messed something up. Put 3 in each side.

My car turned out really uneven with the passenger side lower so I added more links to the front driver side until the front evened out. This is probably because I bent one of the link really bad and it was never the same even after I bent it back.

THe passenger rear is a bit more lower but like half a finger but let me say one can totally tell the difference.

So, I got 7 (yes 7) washers on the driver's side and 5 on the passenger side with plenty of thread left over.
Oh well, I guess I can say I've done what I set out to do. HOpe this helps someone out.

Last edited by monstaloc; 09-03-2006 at 09:49 PM.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
DUDE!!!

Thank God you did that. Your car was WAAAAAAY jacked up in the air. How could you stand it?? Anyway, looks much, MUCH better. It looks like you could still drop it a bit in the rear. You didn't do anything to the rear sensor, right? Do what Jangy said, and bend that bracket in the rear. Just a little bit at a time though.

Looks good!
Old 09-03-2006, 10:06 PM

03 E500
Final pics here
Little off topic...but where did you get those drilled rotors? I've been looking for those everywhere.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:17 PM

'03 E500
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
DUDE!!!

Thank God you did that. Your car was WAAAAAAY jacked up in the air. How could you stand it?? Anyway, looks much, MUCH better. It looks like you could still drop it a bit in the rear. You didn't do anything to the rear sensor, right? Do what Jangy said, and bend that bracket in the rear. Just a little bit at a time though.

Looks good!
I know man, I've been wanting to lower my car real bad. You can tell how anxious I was on the my previous post. It was driving me crazy.

IMHO, the rear really does need to go down a little more but I don't know what you guys mean by bending the rear sensor bracket. That thing is welded to the car. Do I just yank on it until it bends? Thanks for the comment.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:19 PM

'03 E500
Originally Posted by Dvinn
Little off topic...but where did you get those drilled rotors? I've been looking for those everywhere.
those are zimmerman rotors, got them on online at instockauto.com
Old 09-03-2006, 11:11 PM

03 E500
those are zimmerman rotors, got them on online at instockauto.com
Thanks for the info on the rotors, they look hot!
Old 09-04-2006, 12:05 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
I know man, I've been wanting to lower my car real bad. You can tell how anxious I was on the my previous post. It was driving me crazy.

IMHO, the rear really does need to go down a little more but I don't know what you guys mean by bending the rear sensor bracket. That thing is welded to the car. Do I just yank on it until it bends? Thanks for the comment.
Yes, just bend it up. Another alternative is to only put washers on ONE of the bolts, not both.

Last thing, be careful with the front. Make sure the bracket does not break at the bend points. that is exactly why I use a press to do it. Mine was the same drop as yours in the front and I used no washers.

Lookin much better. Drive safe, bro!!

Also, I noticed a different part number than the E55 link I mailed Benz-o. Maybe he can do a comparison of his to the ones I sent to see if they match up and how much of a difference the bending makes?? They look identical.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:27 PM

'03 E500
I know what you mean about breaking the bend points. ONe of my brackets was way too easy to bend. I made sure there were no cracks. I feel they're sturdy enough to hold.

As for the rear, I started out only doing one of the bolts, the one that is "lower" and it dropped about a finger. It was only when I did both that it went down 2 fingers,

Crazy, if I have some time today, I'll bend the bracket and let you all know what happened.