E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

How does the out of state deal work?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
How does the out of state deal work?

Ok, it seems like all the deals to be had on new MB's seem to happen in SoCal... so for my NEXT MB.... I think I will look at dealers like Fletcher Jones or whoever.

Anyways, I know I can deal over the web, email, phone, etc... but when it comes time to "deliver." How does that breakdown? For example, what is the sales tax, etc in California... and will I be able to buy it to register and get a title in Texas... or will it be a California titled vehicle.

Anyways, just wondering... thanks
Peter
Old 09-07-2006, 04:41 PM

Harley-Davidson
Originally Posted by NitroShredder
Ok, it seems like all the deals to be had on new MB's seem to happen in SoCal . . . I think I will look at dealers like Fletcher Jones or whoever. Anyways, I know I can deal over the web, email, phone, etc... but when it comes time to "deliver." How does that breakdown? For example, what is the sales tax, etc in California... and will I be able to buy it to register and get a title in Texas... or will it be a California titled vehicle.
You shouldn't have to pay any sales tax to the State of California, since you don't live there. You would owe the State of Texas the same amount of tax as you would if you bought the car locally. Why don't you call Fletcher Jones and ask them what the procedure is?
Old 09-07-2006, 04:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
sold - w211 e320, f250, rx7 race car
It's simple. I have bought most of my cars out of state and from the west coast. Doesn't matter what sales tax is in that state, only the state you live in. We pay 6.25% sales tax on the purchase price in TX. Getting a title is no problem. You can do all of this yourself or your credit union/bank will do it for you. You get the car from CA (have it shipped or by whatever means), have it inspected (that nice windshield sticker we get) and then take the inspection report (comes with green sheet as well they call it), copy of insurance and out of state title to the DMV office. Make sure the title is signed by the seller and all blanks completed, also make sure no liens on title or they have been released. Give the state your hard earned money and then walk away with a registration sticker and your plates an hour later. The title comes in the mail about 3-4 weeks later to you or your bank if there is a lienholder.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:34 PM

2003 E500
awesome. Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by mbuskuhl
It's simple. I have bought most of my cars out of state and from the west coast. Doesn't matter what sales tax is in that state, only the state you live in. We pay 6.25% sales tax on the purchase price in TX. Getting a title is no problem. You can do all of this yourself or your credit union/bank will do it for you. You get the car from CA (have it shipped or by whatever means), have it inspected (that nice windshield sticker we get) and then take the inspection report (comes with green sheet as well they call it), copy of insurance and out of state title to the DMV office. Make sure the title is signed by the seller and all blanks completed, also make sure no liens on title or they have been released. Give the state your hard earned money and then walk away with a registration sticker and your plates an hour later. The title comes in the mail about 3-4 weeks later to you or your bank if there is a lienholder.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:01 AM

2003 E320 Blue
I just bought an E320 in TX. If you buy in CA and you drive it home CA will make you pay sales tax!!!!! We just went though this. You will not have to pay sale tax again in TX but you do have to pay for a title transfer.
Hope this helps
Old 09-08-2006, 08:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'06 E500, '99 ML430 and '07 SL65
Originally Posted by grandcanyon
I just bought an E320 in TX. If you buy in CA and you drive it home CA will make you pay sales tax!!!!! We just went though this. You will not have to pay sale tax again in TX but you do have to pay for a title transfer.
Hope this helps

You will get a refund on that. It is only the state where you live that counts. I have this numerous times and the first time I paied sales in GA but got is back so I could pay my NC tax. Since then the dealers have gotten smarter (or their customers have educated them) and I haven't had to do that more than the first time.

If you don't get a refund contact the dealer (titels and tags dept.) and have them figure it out.
Old 09-09-2006, 02:11 PM

2003 E320
Out of state purchase fees

Ship it yourself. I let the dealer handle it and they charged me an extra $200 for shipping.

I also recall having to pay an out-of-state transfer fee (or something like that) to Texas which was another couple of hundred bucks.

Last edited by randolphscott; 09-09-2006 at 08:25 PM. Reason: this and that