E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

i'm done...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E320
i'm done...

i think i'm ready to call it quits with this car. i have a 2003 E320. some history...i have liked the E class for years and finally saved up enough to buy one back in 2001. i figured i would wait a year for the new model (W211) to come out and buy that one instead of the older one so for a year i sat there waiting and waiting. i was on this forum and the writing and reading about the car helped pass the time.

i pre-ordered the car with NAV and when i arrived, i went over to pick it up. it was awesome finally getting this car. the car had some weird quirks and odd high pitched sounds here and there but everything seemed to work functionally. it was so exciting being in this forum watching everyone get their cars and posting their pictures. i was detailing this car with zaino, claying, etc.

a year later, mercedes gave me a new 2003 E320 because of the NAV fiasco. i was still happy. some of those little quirks seemed to have been fixed in this car. there were some other squeaks and quirks but it was fine to live with. the brakes have a little too much dust and they wear down a little too quick (i've never had to replace a new car's brakes after only 20k miles) but it's still all good i guess.

then a month ago, this all changed. i posted about it in here but the brakes failed on me while i was driving. it was scary. the battery also went dead so i couldn't even turn on the hazard lights while i was blocking a lane. the lane had no shoulder and i was slightly downhill so i wasn't about to try driving the car out there. even so, the engine was dead so i was stuck. i called mb roadside and was placed on hold...after 20 minutes i gave up. luckily i was near a friend's house so he drove over, helped me get the car off the road and the next day i had mb tow it over to their dealership where they fixed the car by putting in a new battery. explanation is that the battery died AND the backup died.

car isn't really driving all that well right now. every now and then it will hiccup and the idle will get all strange and act like the engine is revving up and down and act like it's going to knock and die. it goes away a few seconds later but the dealer probably won't be able to do anything about it b/c they probably can't recreate it.

the dealership has been a pain to work with. getting a loaner car is like pulling teeth with these guys. they've lied to me (went for a brake job estimte and they just went ahead and did the job without getting prior authorization and they even went as far as doctoring up paperwork saying that i gave them authorization at Xpm on MM/DD/YY where i didn't even talk to them, etc.). i had a problem getting a new key...they gave me a normal key instead of keyless go and tried to blame me for it even though i specifically asked for keyless go, etc.

i've had it and i'm done. luckily since i got the replacement car, i won't be out too much money. it's a 2003 E320 with only 24k miles on it so it has plenty of warranty left.

now my only question what car to get next. i'm thinking of the bmw 750i. or maybe i'll save some money and get a lexus ls430...i hear those don't have many problems. wife is thinking of an audi a8. who knows...all i know is that it won't be a benz.

Rock.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:05 PM

2003 E500
It unfortunate to know that such a well known car has so much work to it.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
I've been looking at an Audi A6, BMW 5, Infiniti M45 & Lexus GS-8 cyl. The E is beautifull, but QUIRKY, with a ritating salad bar of whats not working in the car this minute. (Getting in and having everything working is such a rush!) I'll probably be moving into a new car late Winter '06 - early Spring '07.

I like the Audi, but am really afraid of buying another German car with German electronics design & execution. So that weakens the BMW/Audi for me.

The M45 is really a beautifull car with every bit the build quality of a Mercedes, PLUS "everything" works all the time. It is also very quick and powerfull. The "test" magazines rate it as a home run. Hower, it arrives late to the party and has NO pedigree. How important is a "purebred" to you?... also, a visit to THEIR bulliten boards (www.freshalloy.com) reveals that their voice comand is probably not as good as ours, as it gives some, not all, people problems. (GM's on the other hand, from personal experience, can cause one to go ballistic & burst a vein in the car, splattering tissue all over the car) Infiniti owners complain about no touch screen input on their Navi (I don't particularly love a fingerprinted up screen like in my Son's Accord) They also have to press a button promising not to use the Navi while driving, which is an annoyance, but more a safety feature to other drivers on the road. I myself adjust the navi in my car and know it is not a safe thing to do from experience, period.
They have VERY few trips to their Service Departments.

Lexus people have pretty much a flawless, smooth car, not as spirited or beautiful as ours, but once again, they see their Service Departments once a year for a Lube, Oil & Filter & around here, a yearly State inspection. They report being treated like Gold at the dealerships on their yearly brief, painless visits.

I LOVE my car. I am fed up with the stupid problems which mar the overall "ownership experience" of this iconic vehicle. Every time I start it, I am surprised when everything works perfectly for the whole trip. Aren't you? I shouldn't even be thinking about it. For what it costs, and for as long as they have been building cars, it should be like my heart, always working dependably in the background, untill its very old.

Nothing is perfect. No car is 100% My next car will be researched (not just road tested) to see what other current owners feel about it, AND I will drive a 2 to 3 year old used one to see what IT feels like. I think my money will be going to the car company that delivers a beautiful ownership experience. Both IN and Out of the car over the long haul (3-4 years). I'm pretty sure it will not be a Benz.

The funny part of this whole thing is, is that they guys who have E's with very little optional equipment (some guys don't even have a sun roof!) have relatively few complaints, while a guy like me who ordered the car will all the creature comforts that a Luxury car SHOULD have, are tortured by all of the options. My Car stickered for $69,000.oo. My opinion? Not worth it. But its a Benz, and continues to attract people who revere its Pedigree.

My advice? Keep researching, and search out other cars Owner's Bulletin Boards/Forums. remember the people who are completely satisfied with their purchases will NOT be posting. See if the posts are legitemate gripes about the product or nit pickers. Soon you'll be able to see the difference.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 09-11-2006 at 07:40 PM.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:01 PM

Received 267 Likes on 159 Posts
EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Lightly optioned E-Class

Your observation about stripped down E's may be correct. My 2005 E500 4MATIC has three options: CD player, sun roof, and heated seats. I probably use these features less than 10% of the time that the car is running. Overall my car has had relatively minor problems after 46000+ miles. I changed the tires at 44K and I still have plenty of life on the brakes. I fully intend to take the car to 250K miles.

Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
The funny part of this whole thing is, is that they guys who have E's with very little optional equipment (some guys don't even have a sun roof!) have relatively few complaints, while a guy like me who ordered the car will all the creature comforts that a Luxury car SHOULD have, are tortured by all of the options. My Car stickered for $69,000.oo. My opinion? Not worth it. But its a Benz, and continues to attract people who revere its Pedigree.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 184 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
You would be seriously misinformed to think that BMWs are more reliable than Mercedes.

BOTH are cutting edge cars and some reliability issues are to be expected.

To think that spending a lot of money assures a "reliable" car, think Ferrari.

IF you're willing to live with your Grandmother's car, Toyotas may be the ticket.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 E55
Rock72,

What dealership were you dealing with?
Old 09-12-2006, 12:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 Carlsson CD32 E320 CDI Inline-6
Get a Kia Sportage

Jokes aside, I have a Sportage as a run-about.

I paid...get this...$1000 for it used at an auction.

I haul stuff from Lowes, pets, fuel for lawnmowers, whatever in it. Its also my rainy day/bad weather car so the Benz gets to stay high-and-dry in the garage.

Sometimes the dash lights flicker, so you just pound on the dash really hard and they fix themselves.

The Sportage has an ice cold air conditioner and gets 30 MPG. Built on a truck frame with name brand components like a Denso alternator, TRW Chasis parts, Mazda engine, Getrag transmission, etc.

In the past year, Sportage issues: 0
Benz issues: about a dozen.

Ken
Old 09-12-2006, 08:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
03 E320 -wife's car now; 07 Porsche Boxster S - my toy
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM

The funny part of this whole thing is, is that they guys who have E's with very little optional equipment (some guys don't even have a sun roof!) have relatively few complaints, while a guy like me who ordered the car will all the creature comforts that a Luxury car SHOULD have, are tortured by all of the options.
I tend to agree with you Barry. My 03 E320 came with a sunroof, 6-CD player, fold-down rear seats and heated seats/steering wheel. I only wanted the 6-CD and sunroof, but the dealer made a mistake so they substituted this car for the same price. With 64K miles on it now, the only things I needed to fix were brake replacements and replacing the aux battery -- everything else were the usual scheduled maintenance. I don't like all the extra stuff, and after reading posts by you and many others, I'm glad I didn't go that route. My future cars will also be relatively stripped down. Good luck with your new purchase (when it happens).

Regards,
paul...
Old 09-12-2006, 05:39 PM

2014 E350 4Matic, 2012 Kia Soul+
Well no one can blame you for saying good bye. I've read a lot of horror stories about W211's first year. Some good synopsis of Lexus and Infiniti. I've had both. Neither had a maintenance issue. But the older LS were boring. The new one looks pretty hot, but too big for my taste. The M is great if you like sport. I found it too stiff and loud.

I just hope my 06 E doesn't crash and burn because I still love the car and have no complaints. If it keeps working, I'll be staying with MB. But if it develops problems, I'll be looking at Lexus.

Let us know what you decide to move to. You should get a great trade value with only 24K on the odo.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:22 PM
rjm

Multiple
I understand your frustration and disappointment. I had the same experience with a new 2001 E-430. The car spent more time in the garage than on the road. The final straw was a transmission failure at 24,000 miles....due to transmission fluid leaking into the Transmission Control Module. I later found out this was a well-known problem that Mercedes simply ignored. I had the car repaired and sold it. I replaced it with a 2005 Lexus LS430. I also have a 2003 BMW 530i. Neither car has ever been in the shop for any problem...only for periodic oil changes and normal service procedures. They have both been a joy to drive, compared to my experience with Mercedes. Good luck on your choice.

Old 09-13-2006, 04:33 PM

About fewer options = fewer problems, was just thinking the same thing the other day. I believe it. I keep thinking about this guy's totally optionless 730d-i mean a typical hyundai elantra has more comfort features. The guy is delighted with it, nothing ever went wrong.
Anecdotally, I believe Mercs and Audi/VWs tend to have more electric and little things go wrong than BMWs, which are more all or nothing/ lemon or cream puff. Then again, I have heard of little things continuing to go wrong with an Audi or Mercedes, and driving people away from the brand for good.

What's up with the 03 211? Seems to have the lion's share of faults in the 211 generation. Is it always this way in the new model year?

As an aside, what do the AMG 5 spokes cost from a dealer- the ones that come standard on the E55?
Old 09-13-2006, 05:41 PM

2007 E350 Sport Package
My old '03 E320..... where do I begin.....

The multiple recalls?

The ENTIRE ENGINE NEEDING TO BE REPLACED AT 9,000 miles!!!

My service rep. looking me square in the eye and telling me not to buy it.

I rolled the dice again though and took advantage of the lease special on the '07 E350's. It's a 27 month term and rolls you right into the '09's which will be a complete redo. The only thing that scares me is another "base year" car in two years.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
it looks like most of the problems happened due to the dealership itself.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Rock72

now my only question what car to get next. i'm thinking of the bmw 750i. or maybe i'll save some money and get a lexus ls430...i hear those don't have many problems. wife is thinking of an audi a8. who knows...all i know is that it won't be a benz.

Rock.
dude, i am the resident expert on "what car to get but not a benz"..

here you go...

the new 3 -series is once again the head of the luxury entry level pack.

the 5 -series , looks nice, but its not nearly as fun to drive as the previous one.

the A6, round out the german cars, and then you have your usual japan cars,

the GS/IS , RL, but the best is probably the infiniti M, won the Car and Driver Comparo2006.

there are alot of models coming out in the next few years, like the new Honda Accord and new W212, which might be worth waiting for.
To share your expereince, I bought the previous version several years ago, and it was like buying problem after problem, it was awesome to drive, but in the end I settled on an Honda Accord which looked, drove just as well, but without the constant problems and gas comsumption. I would steer away from the w211 until MB takes more care in making sure their cars are upto standard.

Last edited by sklasse; 09-13-2006 at 08:00 PM.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Originally Posted by sklasse
dude, i am the resident expert on "what car to get but not a benz"..

"Dude"..... Why do you hang here and continue to post your agonizing life experiences and / or bull****????? If you hate MB so much, go buy your BMW, and continue to drive your excellent Honda or what ever floats your boat, but why continue to post crap?????

but in the end I settled on an Honda Accord which looked, drove just as well, but without the constant problems and gas comsumption
Yes, you really know your ****......... L.O.L.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:20 PM

take it easy , Harley. it was a joke....just answering the guys thread.

look, if it was just me with the agonizing story and benz hatred, we can call it bull****.but there are like five people on this thread alone calling the 03 w211 unreliable.

the guy almost killed himself because the SBC brakes failed on his w211 ...

MB can't fkn make a simple electronics on the radio work , and YOU TRUST THEM to control the electronics on the BRAKES ?

yeah , that doesn't sound like BS to me...don't know about you ..I wouldn't want to be that freak accident where my Brakes suddenly failed going like 100 on the highway.

Last edited by sklasse; 09-13-2006 at 10:26 PM.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:26 PM
rjm

Multiple
Looks like HELL ONA HARLEY forgot to take his medication again.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:30 PM

if this happened alot with the 03 w211 wouldn't this be out in the open? I just bought a 03 e320 with 34k miles drives great so far. I am going to bring it in next week just so MB looks over everything including the SBC to make sure there are no issues..

What else should I have them look over?
Old 09-13-2006, 10:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 CLK320, 2003 E320
Have an 03 w211 w/42,xxx on the odo. No problems at all.. dealer did all recalls and sbc inspections.

Only thing I can complain about are the loaner cars my dealer gives...
I got a dodge neon twice!! ughh...

Last edited by 2001CLK; 09-13-2006 at 10:40 PM.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
yeah , I am spilling BS..don't listen to me.

Well, Since you DON"T own an "E", then you really can't speak from experience now can you.....We all know you only dream of ownership and is waiting for the w211 to fall under 25K so you can "afford" one as stated by you yourself in prior posts..... So anything you have to say IS either bull**** or hearsay.... I, on the other hand OWN one and I have not experienced any of the problems reported here.... In a matter of fact my car has been near flawless for the nearly three years and 35,000 miles of ownership. And yes, I also love my brakes.

So please enlighten me on how your Honda drives as good as the w211... I'm certainly missing something... Now THIS is bull**** no matter how you serve it....
Old 09-13-2006, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Originally Posted by rjm
Looks like HELL ONA HARLEY forgot to take his medication again.

L.O.L...... Damn bro, your still lurking here telling your old worn out problems about your old w210 in the NEW w211 forum?????

Just when I thought it was safe to turn off my troll blocker you chime in...
Old 09-13-2006, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Originally Posted by HELL ONA HARLEY
Well, Since you DON"T own an "E", then you really can't speak from experience now can you.....We all know you only dream of ownership and is waiting for the w211 to fall under 25K so you can "afford" one as stated by you yourself in prior posts..... So anything you have to say IS either bull**** or hearsay.... I, on the other hand OWN one and I have not experienced any of the problems reported here.... In a matter of fact my car has been near flawless for the nearly three years and 35,000 miles of ownership. And yes, I also love my brakes.

So please enlighten me on how your Honda drives as good as the w211... I'm certainly missing something... Now THIS is bull**** no matter how you serve it....

This is interesting....

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/145919-hard-sell-w211.html

and here's and excerpt from that thread started by sklasse

well HOAH, its more fun making **** disturbing threads than actually owning one right now...

j/k...

I 've done my research and the w211 is definetly a well-made car and its worth its money w/o doubt. but still deciding and of couse finding one in my price range wouldnt hurt either, i m in it for the long-haul . Last week I drove the TL , hated that car ! scratched it off my list....and besides my autobahn w124 isn't dead yet
Old 09-13-2006, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by 2001CLK
Have an 03 w211 w/42,xxx on the odo. No problems at all.. dealer did all recalls and sbc inspections.

Only thing I can complain about are the loaner cars my dealer gives...
I got a dodge neon twice!! ughh...
thanks you made me feel a bit better these AHOLES! who don't even OWN THE fckin car are making up all this BS about the car or what?

if so... go find another hobby and leave the threads to the OWNERS of the car..
Old 09-14-2006, 12:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
[QUOTE=Benz-O-Rama;1754413]This is interesting....

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=145919

and here's and excerpt from that thread started by sklasse

well HOAH, its more fun making **** disturbing threads than actually owning one right now...

j/k...

I 've done my research and the w211 is definetly a well-made car and its worth its money w/o doubt. but still deciding and of couse finding one in my price range wouldnt hurt either, i m in it for the long-haul . Last week I drove the TL , hated that car ! scratched it off my list....and besides my autobahn w124 isn't dead yet

Well sklasse, what have you to say now???? Your either like a woman that can't make up his mind or you are as I called it, full of ****.....
Nuff said.....
Old 09-14-2006, 08:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
sold - w211 e320, f250, rx7 race car
SKLASSE-
Originally Posted by HELL ONA HARLEY
"Dude"..... Why do you hang here and continue to post your agonizing life experiences and / or bull****????? If you hate MB so much, go buy your BMW, and continue to drive your excellent Honda or what ever floats your boat, but why continue to post crap?????
Second that.

Those who read the forums regularly know who "Sklasse" is. Those who don't, one day he likes them one day he doesn't, however he does not own a W211 and would not until it fell below $25k. His posts contribute ZERO to this board.

Back on topic, I have an 03 E320, I've been happy with it. I'd buy one again, but I wouldn't own one out of warranty. I had an Audi A4 before, there is a car I would never own again.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: i'm done...