E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Amusing response from a dealer's "Internet Sales Manager"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amusing response from a dealer's "Internet Sales Manager"

So, I've started my quest to get quotes on a E320 Bluetec. I spent time getting e-mail address for select dealers in the southeast, and I've sent a few e-mails out requesting quotes for my config.

One amusing answer I got was, (I'm paraphrasing).... "It is our (many decades) of history's policy to not give discounts via phone or e-mail, please come buy our dealership and see how great we are..." (you get the idea). It was signed by the person whose title is "Internet Sales Manager"

So I'm wondering.... What does an internet sales manager do? Second, you're selling one of the most techologically advanced cars on the planet, and you still insist that I drive over and visit your office to discuss pricing?

Sheesh.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
S.E Pricing is Rigid and more expensive then in PA, NJ, CT and in NY. Do yourself a favor & check out PA.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:48 PM

I'll check out the N.E. areas you mention. The problem is getting it home from there.

Thanks for the info.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Seems like a perfectly reasonable response. (Especiallly if he didn't misspell by)

This car requires a very intimate relationship with the service department as it's too high-tech for independents or DIYers.

This isn't a commodity purchase, and the walk-in retail store isn't dead with respect to cars.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by lkchris
Seems like a perfectly reasonable response. (Especiallly if he didn't misspell by)

This car requires a very intimate relationship with the service department as it's too high-tech for independents or DIYers.

This isn't a commodity purchase, and the walk-in retail store isn't dead with respect to cars.
The 'buy' was my typo not his (not unlike your 'especially') . Why should the car require an intimate relationship with the service department? I should take it in for my annual (or by mileage) service campaigns. Is this what you suggest mandates such intimacy? It isn't at all likely that I'd ever once take the car in for service at that dealership anyway. I simply offered them an opportunity to provide me with a quote on one, and if they aren't interested in that - then you're absolutely right - it is a perfectly reasonable response. What's unanswered still is why a dealership has an "Internet Sales Manager" if they're only interested in walk-in, retail buyers?
Old 10-04-2006, 07:00 PM

Harley-Davidson
I would imagine that the Internet Sales Manager is much more interested in used car sales and in-stock new car sales than taking orders for (low profit margin) Euro Delivery sales.

BTW, did you give up on getting a 4MATIC?
Old 10-04-2006, 07:27 PM

Corvette
They never give quotes over email for any benz! At least not to me.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E500
Originally Posted by NVR_L8
When I did the research for my E500 purchase in January, I DID get internet prices from dealers. Things might be more competitive on So. Cal.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by cyclerider
BTW, did you give up on getting a 4MATIC?
Yeah. No 4MATIC in diesel. Too bad, too.

Talbot
Old 10-04-2006, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by NVR_L8
Almost every dealer (that has its own website) I'm communicating with has a form one can fill out on their website to request a quote. Now, I figure that's nothing but a way to harness leads, but still, it is there. They probably quote MSRP less $250, but still that's still pricing over the Internet. Why offer it if you're not going to take advantage of it? Just think of the customers base that a dealership can have access to if they use it.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Talbot
Almost every dealer (that has its own website) I'm communicating with has a form one can fill out on their website to request a quote. Now, I figure that's nothing but a way to harness leads, but still, it is there. They probably quote MSRP less $250, but still that's still pricing over the Internet. Why offer it if you're not going to take advantage of it? Just think of the customers base that a dealership can have access to if they use it.
There are still a few dinosaur car dealers out there that think they can get you in their dealership and work their "magic box". Don't waste your time with any of them if you are interested in the most competitive offer, and this one surely qualifies.

I also see no point in having an "Internet sales manager" that cannot quote you a price.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
I bought my car via e-mail and phone. I paid (during the 1st week the '04 pricing was available to dealers in Sep '03) $1000.00 over invoice. I filled out an on line crerdit app, he called back asking for a credit card deposit of $ 500 (which he NEVER charged to the card). Then he faxed me a contract which I signed & faxed back. The car was special ordered for me as he had a 1D 11/03 build date. The car arrived Dec 22, 03 at the dealership, I picked it up in PA, (2.5 hrs drive down with my trade) and drove it home to Long Island 5 hrs with traffic.

The only intimate relationship needed by the car is a man with money to pay for it. The service will GLADLY be provided by your neighborhood MB dealer, who WILL offer you loaners, and treat you like any other customer he has because he is making the same money from MBUSA servicing your car as any of the ones he sold. Any dealer who doesnt greet you with open arms has more business than he can handle. ...or is a poor businessman. YOU dont need HIM.

There are MANY reasons someone would buy a car away from his home area if you need a sympathetic excuse the 1st time for the SA. You could have had an accident that totaled your car, or a large breakdown, or you moved.

Always go for the best deal. The "Internet Manager" at an out of town dealership KNOWS he has only 1 chance to get you to buy. His 1st price has to be his best offer, or you're gone. If its not, you didn't reach the internet salesman. Call the dealership & ask to speak to the sales manager & tell him you want to buy a car & you're calling long distance.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 10-04-2006 at 10:58 PM.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:53 PM

Well said, Barry!

Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
The "Internet Manager" at an out of town dealership KNOWS he has only 1 chance to get you to buy. His 1st price has to be his best offer, or you're gone. If its not, you didn't reach the internet salesman. Call the dealership & ask to speak to the sales manager & tell him you want to buy a car & you're calling long distance.
My thoughts exactly. This guy's e-mail sig says he's "Internet Sales Manager" and "Business Development Manager"

If it were my company and somone with those titles gave that answer to a prospective customer, they'd be in a different role the next day.

The more I think about the response, the more I realize it was saying, "we do business the way we want to, not the way you want to. Conform to our way, or we're not really that interested in you." It is much better that I learn that upfront without spending any of my time on them, really.

Last edited by Talbot; 10-04-2006 at 11:37 PM.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:44 PM
Banned

AMGs
Originally Posted by Talbot
So, I've started my quest to get quotes on a E320 Bluetec. I spent time getting e-mail address for select dealers in the southeast, and I've sent a few e-mails out requesting quotes for my config.

One amusing answer I got was, (I'm paraphrasing).... "It is our (many decades) of history's policy to not give discounts via phone or e-mail, please come buy our dealership and see how great we are..." (you get the idea). It was signed by the person whose title is "Internet Sales Manager"

So I'm wondering.... What does an internet sales manager do? Second, you're selling one of the most techologically advanced cars on the planet, and you still insist that I drive over and visit your office to discuss pricing?

Sheesh.

I suggest you deal directly w/the sales manager instead of peon...
Old 10-04-2006, 11:54 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
That sucks majorly, I hate car dealerships that give you the run around.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
Originally Posted by 2K6E55
I suggest you deal directly w/the sales manager instead of peon...
Old 10-05-2006, 12:40 AM

W211 / E280
Originally Posted by lkchris

Damn, Obviously buying a car in the States has changed a lot since I lived there. According to you sounds as if a guy has to go and give the Service dept. a blow jbb before he can buy one.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:21 AM

Harley-Davidson
Originally Posted by Jakarta Expat
Damn, Obviously buying a car in the States has changed a lot since I lived there. According to you sounds as if a guy has to go and give the Service dept. a blow jbb before he can buy one.
Actually it was the New Car Sales Manager, not the Service dept.