Availability of Wood and Leather Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2002, 09:46 AM
jhb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL Launch Edition, 2003 E500 Pewter/Stone
Availability of Wood and Leather Steering Wheel

Has anyone any update on availability of the wood and leather steering wheel? I originally ordered one and am now told that they "ran out" but I can get it as a dealer installed accessory later.
Old 09-04-2002, 10:16 AM

2003 MB E500
The MB website shows the wood wheel as a $705 accessory. Nice little mark-up there! No word on availability
Old 09-04-2002, 11:05 AM
jhb

2003 SL Launch Edition, 2003 E500 Pewter/Stone
I don't understand the approach to the website. They apparently now can to the fold down rear seat option, but it is not shown on their website. The wood and leather wheel is shown but is not available. ????????
Old 09-04-2002, 12:57 PM

14 'E550
I didn't know the wood/leather wheel was a constraint option....asked the salesperson last week and she knew nothing about it.

However, I was aware that the split folding rear seat, trunk closer, and Nav is on hold.
Old 09-04-2002, 01:31 PM

2003 MB E500
Originally posted by jhb
I don't understand the approach to the website. They apparently now can to the fold down rear seat option, but it is not shown on their website. The wood and leather wheel is shown but is not available. ????????
I don't get it either. The color choices in the build your own section have been wrong since MB updated for the 2003. You would think they would have corrected that and these other errors immediately. It's a bad reflection on MB.
Old 09-04-2002, 01:56 PM

2012 CLS63
I ordered a E500 Sport yesterday and was also told the wood/leather steering wheel was not listed as an option. I reminded the salesperson that he had showed me two E Class cars last week that had this option from the factory ( $500). I also told him to read the option list in the catalogue. He is researching....

It appears MB is trying to make this a dealer option at an increased mark-up. This is just like the 18" AMG wheels available in Europe as a $1900 option from the factory (with tires) that are only available here in 17" form for $2,900 (without tires).
Old 09-04-2002, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Check some previous posts. I saw a message with pictures from somebody taking delivery recently. What I can see on pictures wood/leather steering wheel.
Old 09-04-2002, 03:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 ML320
It is amazing to me how many errors they have in their site and I agree with all the comments/concerns above.

I went so far as to e-mail MB re the color display problem at 'build your own E' (that is plat blue comes up as wedgewood and wedgewood comes up as ice blue which isn't even an option for this car). Everything had been fine before the update.

Here was part of their reply in which they deny a problem and think it is my monitor! They also say I shouldn't buy a car without looking at a full brochure or seeing the car first - doesn't quite fit with all the pre-orders they have been taking for months before either of those things were available to look at!

below is their reply-
Firstly, the color situation. The colors displayed for Wedgwood and
Platinum Blue are correct, or as close as we can come digitally. Please
remember there will be some variations with every monitor and with every
video card. We do not recommend you make a final color choice without a
visit to a Dealer or at least without a print brochure that has actual
paint color chips. These can be ordered on line in Contact Us/E-mail
Us.
Old 09-04-2002, 03:34 PM

2006 E500 4matic Wagon
Yes, I saw an E320 on Saturday at the dealer and it had the wood wheel. Very, very nice. But, I am totally frustrated because nobody at MB seems to know what is going on. Maybe it is just the frenzy of the new vehicle? But, I have always found that options added later than the original order have a nasty habit of increasing in price. I thought I read in The Star or somewhere that the wood wheel was standard on the E500. Who knows?!
Old 09-04-2002, 03:38 PM

E320, Lexus RX 300, Nissan Xterra
Originally posted by Barney

below is their reply-
Firstly, the color situation. The colors displayed for Wedgwood and
Platinum Blue are correct, or as close as we can come digitally. Please
remember there will be some variations with every monitor and with every
video card. We do not recommend you make a final color choice without a
visit to a Dealer or at least without a print brochure that has actual
paint color chips. These can be ordered on line in Contact Us/E-mail
Us.
Just another typical customer service "get-away-from-the-problem" response. Maybe we should ask them what graphics card and monitors they recommend.
Old 09-04-2002, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

haha i emailed them the same thing and got the same reply. we have a platinum blue and the one on their site is a wedgewood. :o
Old 09-04-2002, 05:59 PM

2003 MB E500
If that's the best MB can do in getting colors right and if that's an example of their customer service it makes me wonder what issues I may find with the 500!! I know they probably consider it to be a minor issue and probably sent the reply without even checking the website but it's not a good reflection on MB. They should realize that and take care of it and not just brush people off. The difference cannot possibly be due to the graphics card which they would see if they just took the time to check it out.
Old 09-04-2002, 06:17 PM

2001 ML320
A SURPRISE FROM MBUSA.COM !

Well, I told mbusa a second time that the colors were in fact being displayed incorrectly and that the problem was not with my monitor.

Guess what? They are going to fix it!

Here is their reply:

I fall on my sword. You where correct all along and the beatings have commenced.

Seriously, it is the wrong color and we will fix it asap.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Sincerely,
Critical Mass
Web Site designers for Mercedes-Benz USA, Inc
Old 09-04-2002, 06:43 PM

2003 MB E500
I guess my faith is retored. maybe it was just a sub-contractor problem and not Mb itself. Still they are ultimately responsible for the customer service of firsm they hire too. Anyway, glad they realized their error and are going to finally fix it. Thanks for staying on them.