E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Car accident, :'( Brakes question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes E350, E550s on it's way!
yes im very glad the sensors were not damaged nor the airbags deployed. those alone being destroyed would have cost much, much more and at that point i would have not had the car repaired.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by AkMadness
Oh and the results on the computer came back. And yes I am aware of the driving knowledge of second counting a still object on the side of the road when the vehicle infront of you passes it. I was mainting a correct following distance as by DMV standards by a two or three car length. And as I've stated NOT blaming brakes, it was a theory a theory I shared with the community of E350 drivers to see there opinions and reactions, so speaking to everyone tone it down, relax.

::Now Looking At The Results of the Star Computer Inspection::
At time of impact the speed of the vehicle was 10 mph, with the tires going 0 mph, the engineer overseeing the inspection agrees the tires locked up. The tread patterns on the ground are inconsistant with normal skid patterns between 3 to 4 feet long for an ABS car suggesting that the 8/10 second brakeing was longer for unknown reasons by insurance opinions. All concluded the brakes on the vehicle could not give off a distance of brakeing to the time of impact and the command on board did not record for the DSC or ABS kicking in, though you could feel them. The airbag sensors in the impact where missed by almost an inch

The brakes did work to Mercedes specifications and the vehicle after 2 weeks of debate and inspection I've decided to have repaired and rebuilt better than before. Ill post up later

Ok, I did not read every post here but it sounds like you think the car did not stop quickly enough and that it slid into the car in front of you. Now there is nothing on the brakes that makes them slippery. You can glaze the rotor with pad deposit but this takes very hard driving and from the looks of your tires you do not partake in such activities. To say the brakes were the cause of this seems a bit unlikely. I have 3 cars with SBC right now and have had others and never have I thought there was anything funny about it.

MB's do not have DCS for that is a bmw system. We use ESP on our cars. The esp system incorporates the ASR and Skid Control into one program. The ESP or as you say DSC has nothing to do with stopping the car. You were not sliding the car sideways or having a situation with over or understeer so esp was not involved at all. The MB computer activates the warning triangle in the cluster when the car has brake lock up requiring ABS intervention because the SBC system gives not tactile notification to the driver (through the brake lever) that the car in indeed at the point of "impending lock up."

While it’s never fun to have a crash sometimes to buck stops with the thing between the wheel and the driver’s seat. As sad as that may be it’s often the truth. I know I have made a mistake or two in my days but I don’t think I can blame them on the car. I just can’t see you the driver pressing the brakes and then the car "sliding" into a car in front of you. Anything on the brake pad or rotor that could reduce the coefficient of friction in the braking system would be worn off by simple driving or be swept away after one rotation with the brakes applied.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by AkMadness
yes im very glad the sensors were not damaged nor the airbags deployed. those alone being destroyed would have cost much, much more and at that point i would have not had the car repaired.
The car does not have a sensor which when touched sets off the airbag. The sensor reads g-loads and from the load it determins if the airbag is required. Your crash was fairly slow and you hit the SUV with the weakest part of the vehicle. Your crash totally missed the lower passenger frame rain and the entire empact went into the unreneforced fender which just crumpled like a tin can. When cars do not use the frame rails to disipate impat energy the car crumples a great deal more quickly as that fender is more for looks than body regidity.

As for not getting the car fixed airbags cost about 800 a piece and the cost to re-set the SRS system is maybe 500 bucks (that includes new charges in the seat belt system for the pre-tensioners. That would not have even come close to making the car totaled.

Your car will be back to normal without a major repair, it will all be like new, and you will have my more miles of fun with your GF before that car is gone!
Old 10-26-2006, 07:15 PM

Course, and what I ment by not having the vehicle repaired was that if any more damage would have been incured from the impact I would have just let my insurance take over and would have not excepted the car back. It's enough seeing external damage, internal and I do believe I might have cried lol.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:18 PM

Question

Well without any objections I'd say this forum is closed??
Old 05-19-2007, 02:46 AM

yea, that one hurt. Thanks Adam.

Old 05-20-2007, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i535
It's strange and scary for me. Indeed it looks like MB has much worse brakes than a regular SUV. There was distance about 40 feets between two cars. First applied brakes right? It didn't hit a wall. So it should have normal braking distance about 60-70 feet consider that it's heavy SUV. I believe 17 years boy has better reaction that old SUV driver so can apply brakes less in a half of second noticing that in front car started braking. Consider that it should be gap at least 20 feet when both cars stopped. It's clear MB brakes problem for me.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
Originally Posted by Dema
It's strange and scary for me. Indeed it looks like MB has much worse brakes than a regular SUV. There was distance about 40 feets between two cars. First applied brakes right? It didn't hit a wall. So it should have normal braking distance about 60-70 feet consider that it's heavy SUV. I believe 17 years boy has better reaction that old SUV driver so can apply brakes less in a half of second noticing that in front car started braking. Consider that it should be gap at least 20 feet when both cars stopped. It's clear MB brakes problem for me.
35 mph is 51 feet/second.