E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Technical & Personal Concerns needed regarding this trade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 / E280
Technical & Personal Concerns needed regarding this trade

I know a guy here in Jakarta that has 2 each 06 CLS 500's sitting in his bonded warehouse (he also just imported my new 2007 E280 for me). Unfortunately the CLS does not sell here very well and the Indonesians do not like the car. In passing I mentioned he should trade me the 18" wheels (AMG 230) and Pirelli tires that came standard on the CLS 500 and in return, even trade, he takes my standard 16" 5 spoke wheels with the Dunlops from my 2007 E280. I know the tires will stick out some what but after measuring the best I can figure is only an inch or so. What do you guys think, he just called me and told me he is ok with the swap and come to his warehouse Monday and he would have his staff change them.

So what are your personal opinions and technical opinions of putting these wheels and tires on my E280?
Old 10-14-2006, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
The Rims will fit on the W211
Old 10-14-2006, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Is he sniffing glue????...

Why would he ever consider trading 18's from a brand new car for your crappy 16's..... That CLS will look like **** for sure with your rims on it and he's sure to never sell it.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
I don't get why he would do it either.
Be careful as the CLS rims do stick out on the E body. The rears will rub. MAYBE 275s won't rub as bad.
Old 10-14-2006, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jakarta Expat
I know a guy here in Jakarta that has 2 each 06 CLS 500's sitting in his bonded warehouse (he also just imported my new 2007 E280 for me). Unfortunately the CLS does not sell here very well and the Indonesians do not like the car. In passing I mentioned he should trade me the 18" wheels (AMG 230) and Pirelli tires that came standard on the CLS 500 and in return, even trade, he takes my standard 16" 5 spoke wheels with the Dunlops from my 2007 E280. I know the tires will stick out some what but after measuring the best I can figure is only an inch or so. What do you guys think, he just called me and told me he is ok with the swap and come to his warehouse Monday and he would have his staff change them.

So what are your personal opinions and technical opinions of putting these wheels and tires on my E280?
There is absolutely no way those 16 inch rims will fit over the cls500 front brake rotors. Don't waste your time....
Old 10-14-2006, 04:41 PM

W211 / E280
Originally Posted by HELL ONA HARLEY
Is he sniffing glue????...

Why would he ever consider trading 18's from a brand new car for your crappy 16's..... That CLS will look like **** for sure with your rims on it and he's sure to never sell it.
I honestly do not know why he would do it as well. He semi owes me on another smaller issue but I did not push and when we met at Coffee Bean earlier this week and he saw the style of the rims he commented that he liked them but for what I do not know. All I do know is this guy did not get where he is today by being stupid. I saw 20 new Toyota Alphards and 20 new Toyoto Harriers along with the aforementioned CLS 500's, 3 new S500's that he imported at the same time with my E280, the first ever new Audi Q7 imported in to Indonesia, as well as 1 new Maserati and one new Morris Mini, and 2 new right hand drive H3's (costing USD 50,000 per car to change from left hand to right hand drive). Of course these cars have not had their importation tax paid as they are still in his bonded warehouse but you can count the same number and quality of cars in his showrooms inside the city. All belong to him not a dealership and all are paid in full before importation, not too many worldwide want to give any monetary credit to an Indonesian these days. He knows a deal and how to make money. He said he was doing the deal with me to make a customer happy. Go figure.

Last edited by Jakarta Expat; 10-14-2006 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-14-2006, 04:51 PM

W211 / E280
Originally Posted by slk55lvr
There is absolutely no way those 16 inch rims will fit over the cls500 front brake rotors. Don't waste your time....
Not to sound cold because I personally like the guy on the other side of this trade but "not my problem"
Old 10-15-2006, 05:05 AM

W211 / E280
As my 24 yr old girlfriend told me when I was 18, you won't know until you try it....

I called the guy yessterday and he said he was expecting a shipment of a few cars in today so his guys were working 1/2 day today, so I slipped down there this morning and they did the deed. You be the judge....

The wheel in question
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/robmil...cd.jpg&.src=ph

Right read side view
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/robmil...nm=e89dscd.jpg

Full head on side view

Right Front side view
Old 10-15-2006, 09:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
sold - w211 e320, f250, rx7 race car
The links aren't working, possibly it's your Yahoo account that it won't let us into?

Try doing this...https://mbworld.org/forums/questions-about-how-mbworld-org-works-not-car-questions/135334-how-s-read-first-before-posting.html

edit: Links worked on the "other forum". Looks good and I don't think it sticks out too much. I still don't understand why someone would swap 18's for 16's even money, but as you said "not my problem". Have you considered lowering the car at all?

Last edited by mbuskuhl; 10-15-2006 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:59 PM

W211 / E280
Try these links instead

The wheel in question
http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/2...230ci3lba7.jpg

Front side view
http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/8...sdeviewud4.jpg

Rear Side view
http://img290.imageshack.us/img290/5...ideviewfp0.jpg

Full side view
http://img135.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ideviewai7.jpg

As for lowering, yes been thinking about it this afternoon, on the way tommorow morning to the Service shop to get an MB Ipod kit and will discuss how low they can lower it. They will do it as my Service shop is not MB Indonesia (useless *****s) I deal with their arch nemesis ADS here in Jakarta, they are the authorised dealer for Barbus and Lorinser here.
Old 10-15-2006, 01:08 PM

W211 / E280
Originally Posted by mbuskuhl
The links aren't working, possibly it's your Yahoo account that it won't let us into?

Try doing this...https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=135334

edit: Links worked on the "other forum". Looks good and I don't think it sticks out too much. I still don't understand why someone would swap 18's for 16's even money, but as you said "not my problem". Have you considered lowering the car at all?
His trade is still a mystery to me as well, I will find out soon enough why he did it. I will say that the guy does not worry too much about money. He actually delivered the car a week earlier than planned, the money (Indonesian Rupiah 1 billion actually = USD 110,000) to pay for the car was still in a 30 day time deposit and I told him it did not mature until a week after he said he would deliver it. He said "ah it is only money" transfer it to me when you have it, this was 2 days after he gave me the car. I never gave him even a down payment for the car, he ordered on my word. He and I are close but not that close and he still has this attitude. Not like any car dealer I have ever dealt with before.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:21 PM

CLS 350
ADS isnt it the one at jalan panjang?

btw, if you dont mind, what is the name of the dealer that your friend has?
Old 10-15-2006, 06:19 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Those are CLS rims?
Old 10-16-2006, 06:35 AM

W211 / E280
Originally Posted by -tokz-
ADS isnt it the one at jalan panjang?

btw, if you dont mind, what is the name of the dealer that your friend has?
Yeah Panjang over in Kebon Jeruk, see a guy named Martin

The dealer I bought from is Ivan Motors, he has showrooms in Pondok Indah and Kelapa Gading, the owner's name is Ian Rianto Susanto
Old 10-16-2006, 06:38 AM

W211 / E280
Originally Posted by jangy
Those are CLS rims?
Yeah I saw them come off of a CLS 500, I also saw the same wheels on a CLS on another dealership and they said those were standard for that model coming out of Europe.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Yeah I saw them come off of a CLS 500, I also saw the same wheels on a CLS on another dealership and they said those were standard for that model coming out of Europe.
Those wheels are one of the many genuine wheels that MB offer to fit on a CLS. However those arent AMG wheels. They are just regular OEM MBZ wheels. Hope that helps.

So, did u trade the wheels even? All I can say is WOW but well sometimes people want to make the customer fully satisfy..Just a thought
Old 10-17-2006, 10:23 PM

W211 / E280
Originally Posted by kaze81
Those wheels are one of the many genuine wheels that MB offer to fit on a CLS. However those arent AMG wheels. They are just regular OEM MBZ wheels. Hope that helps.

So, did u trade the wheels even? All I can say is WOW but well sometimes people want to make the customer fully satisfy..Just a thought
Thanks for the info about the wheels and Yes I did trade even and yes he did make this customer satisfied. A few others here in Jakarta do not believe it was a even trade and are asking me why he did not want some money along with my wheels.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
BTW, sorry for being OT here but I saw you are in Jakarta right now? How long have u been there and how do u like it? are you an embassador or something similiar?
Old 10-19-2006, 10:42 AM

W211 / E280
Originally Posted by kaze81
BTW, sorry for being OT here but I saw you are in Jakarta right now? How long have u been there and how do u like it? are you an embassador or something similiar?
Yes, living in Jakarta now and for the last 16 going on 17 years. I do not own land or house or even have a bank account in the States even though I do have the bald eagle passport. I would not have lived here for almost 17 years if I did not like it. Ambassador? You do not know how many people that actually knew me would laugh their *** off at that question. I am about the furtherest a person can get from beiing Diplomatic. I am 49, retired last year, just tired of the 12 hour days in the office (worked for Siemens Indonesia for 10 years) and the german bull**** and I live with my 28 year old Indonesian wife, who has to be the most honest and trustworthy woman I have known in my life, we live in our own house with a pool and large gaden (anything grows in this soil and our backyard looks like our version of Bali, in the back and we are 15 minutes from the center of the city (Jakarta) which has appx. 13 to 15 million people in it depending on what time of the year it is. We own 1400 sqm of beach front property in Bali and she drives a Ford Everest and I drive my E280. I am from the old school, I count the number of real friends on 1 hand and I believe more in a firm handshake and a man's word than a signed contract and if you screw me, I am a down right a55hole.

Last edited by Jakarta Expat; 10-19-2006 at 10:49 AM.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is a German Tank
Yes, living in Jakarta now and for the last 16 going on 17 years. I do not own land or house or even have a bank account in the States even though I do have the bald eagle passport. I would not have lived here for almost 17 years if I did not like it. Ambassador? You do not know how many people that actually knew me would laugh their *** off at that question. I am about the furtherest a person can get from beiing Diplomatic. I am 49, retired last year, just tired of the 12 hour days in the office (worked for Siemens Indonesia for 10 years) and the german bull**** and I live with my 28 year old Indonesian wife, who has to be the most honest and trustworthy woman I have known in my life, we live in our own house with a pool and large gaden (anything grows in this soil and our backyard looks like our version of Bali, in the back and we are 15 minutes from the center of the city (Jakarta) which has appx. 13 to 15 million people in it depending on what time of the year it is. We own 1400 sqm of beach front property in Bali and she drives a Ford Everest and I drive my E280. I am from the old school, I count the number of real friends on 1 hand and I believe more in a firm handshake and a man's word than a signed contract and if you screw me, I am a down right a55hole.
I like you already.